Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Oxford pub recommendations
  • juanking

Chaps, off to Oxford for a few days this week and was hoping some good suggestions of nice boozers in Oxford. Preferably with a good selection of ale, decent food and ideally in town. Cheers!

SaxonRider

If you want both ale and food, then Chequers, in a little passageway across from St Mary’s (the University church) is good. If you just want to drink good ale with a mix of students, academics, and others, then the Turf Tavern.

silverneedle
    Free Member

On same street from the Turf tavern is a nice Japanese restaurant Edamame serves Excellent food if I do say so myself.

theotherjonv

Haven’t been out in Oxford for ages, but the Bird and Bastard (Eagle and Child) in St Giles St was always decent for a pint and has a bit of history in its back room if ‘Fantasy’ novels are your thing.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You shoud pop into Turf Tavern just to have a beer and a look around, it was my local in 1985 8O. IMHO the best food/beer pubs are outside the town centre, more country style. Centre dominated by students naturally as all the accomodation is student based. There used to be some decent pubs in Jericho but I’m very oit of date.

badnewz
    Free Member

Do the Turf, the Japanese place is great but has funny opening hours.
    Jericho and North Oxford are the best places as the centre tends to be pretty generic pub-wise.

pictonroad
    corroded
    Free Member

Yes, Jericho is where it’s at: the Gardeners Arms, the Bookbinders etc. It’s only a short walk up Little Clarendon St. City centre pubs are for tourists and finishing Finals.

juanking

Thanks guys. Will head there shortly so shall check out a few of the establishments over the next few days. Cheers.

BillMC

Kings Arms, good beer and food.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Oxford pub recommendations’ is closed to new replies.