Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 'Owning' the trail – thanks to Hans Dampf trailstar 29ers (and spider eyes!)
  • big_scot_nanny

As mentioned on other thread, due to reverb failure had to take the 29er out last night, not the mega as planned. fitted new aforementioned tires in a rush yesterday morning. 😳

I have the same tires on the Mega (but pacestars), and in 29er trailstar guise they are pretty heavy and draggy on the way up, but my god they are astoundingly good on the way down! 😯

Normal tires are beavers in the slop, but they are too big a liability to use if any risk of punctures, or 2.4 Ardents, which are amazing in dry/rocky/rooty, but horrific in any kind of mud.

It was muddy here still, and the Hans Dampf were amazing. I was riding very well anyway (better than normal), but I think a large piece of this was down the those fantastic tires. They just gripped everything, no worries. My Belgian race whippet mate left me for dead on the way up, but pointing down was a different story.

I am a middle aged father of three, but if you will allow me, I was so **** stoked by the time we got the bottom, clearing everything, no dabs. I **** owned that trail! And it is proper technical: steep, wet mud, rocks and roots. Rad to the power of sic! 😉

Sorry, just felt so damn good, and a big chunk goes to those confidence inspiring tires.

Not one for you XC race whippets, esp in 29er, really takes some grunt to get moving, but point them down and BOOOOM!

Still smiling!

Now have to go and clean the bike….

Kev

PS – first ride out with new (to me) spider eyes from Troutie.4 words: Jesus Tonight, they’re good! 😯

Paceman
    Free Member

I agree, the Hans Dampf has supreme grip and confidence downhill in the 29er Trailstar guise. Absolutely bombroof too.

On-One Chunky Monkey 2.4 Trail Extreme 29 is also excellent and just as good I think at a third of the price, although slightly heavier.

Both work great as a grippy big volume front tyre on a rigid 29er 😈

Alex

Inspired to whip the race kings off my 29er and fir the HD’s. Not much tyre clearance in the back but it’s (whisper it quietly) dry and dusty here 🙂

Clobber
    Free Member

Paceman +1, loving the chunkymonkey on front of my rigid 29er

Paceman
    Free Member

Not much tyre clearance in the back but it’s (whisper it quietly) dry and dusty here

Hans Dampf’s need quite alot of tyre clearance!

mactheknife

Im using the pacestar version on the front of my 5 spot. What an amazing tyre. Never have i felt i needed more grip, the trailstar must feel like you are welded to the trail 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘'Owning' the trail – thanks to Hans Dampf trailstar 29ers (and spider eyes!)’ is closed to new replies.