Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Owning lots of bikes made me have less fun riding
  • wwaswas

I’m a firm believer in n+1. Perhaps too firm as I’ve probably owned 10+ bikes in the past 5 years. I have always tended to pick the bike I ride on any given day based on a whim and ‘I’ve not ridden that one for a while so I’ll give it an outing’.

For the last six weeks I’ve been riding the same bike, I’m getting faster on it and, mainly, having more fun. The trail conditions have been the same throughout (dry as a bone) but I’m more familiar with how the bike behaves and more confident as a result.

All my bikes are set up with the same saddle and cockpit and similar ride position but there’s a fair variation in geometry, travel, tyres etc (FS, fat bike, ss hard tail etc) – constantly adjusting my riding to these different bikes meant that I spent a lot of time being nervous about what the bike would do on the limit and not really pushing the bike or myself as a consequence.

To be honest it’s been a bit of a revelation just how much I can trust my FS bike to keep grip and go where I want. I spent a month on the fat bike before that with similar increases in confidence over time.

I’m not going to get rid of any bikes, I’ll probably just make a point of picking a bike and sticking with it for a month or two – in the end it turns out it’s more fun not worrying about what the bike’s going to do and just getting on with the ride.

errm, that’s it really.

gonzy
    Free Member

i wish i still had the same problem as you wwaswas…its nice to look at a collection of bikes and be spoilt for choice but now i only have the one FS and a commuter
    but at one point i had up to 6 bikes and eventually started to feel the same way as you…for me it was a case of not enjoying it because by the time i got used to the set up, geometry and the way the bike handled i’d want to ride another bike…plus in my mind i’d think that if i wasnt enjoying the ride on one bike i’d wished i’d picked a different one…it just led to me not enjoying my rides
    now with just the one mtb i can just get on with enjoying myself on the only bike that i have…the commuter is just a commuter and just does a job and is ridden out of necessity.

ton

1 x tourer/road bike
    1 x mtb

why have more. 😀

sandwicheater

I’ve gone from 5 down to two, road/commuter and a bouncy mtb.

Very easy to choose which bike to ride however, come to the mud fest that is winter I’ll miss having the single speed hard tail.

Never had the problem of having to get used to the bike again.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I need a full on DH bike, a trail bike and a dirt jump bike… Can stick the rest.

eshershore
    Free Member

narrowed it down to 3:

road bike

mountain bike

commuting hybrid with mudguards

no need or room for any more 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve run out of room in the outhouse.

I’ve just retired my AM bike, which is now in Ebay in bits as the missus has handed down a strict “one in, one out” policy.

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

3 for me. Hardtail, fs and commuter. Always feel a bit twitchy when getting on one that’s not been ridden for awhile.

plus-one

7 bikes here.. Yes some see more action than others but I wouldn’t have any less 😀

mos

I did the same thing. At one time i had the following;
    Winter & summer road.
    Hardtail
    5″ FS
    6″ FS
    Singlespeed.
    Problem was, i always seemed to be agonizing over which was the right bike for any given ride.
    I now have 1 road bike, 1 4″ FS 29er & 1 cheap ss commuter. I now never have to worry about which is the right bike.

Although i would’t mind a cross bike 😉

ska-49
    Free Member

> Commuter
    > SS rigid 29er
    > 120mm HT
    > CX bike
    [ >100mm HT at my parents house for when I visit.]

I think it covers all grounds and they all do things very differently- just need a 140/150mm FS bike as my N+1.

In the past I’ve had major over lap between bikes. I found that they did the same thing but handled very differently so I never got used to it. I found it frustrating.

iainc

I had a 100mm steel hardtail and a 5 for years and often felt the same. Last year I got rid of them and replaced with a Soul with 120mm fork and a dropper. Much better for my riding and less complicated. Have a nice road bike and a Croix De Fer too (and a track bike).

roverpig

I’ve only got two mountain bikes (we’re not counting road bikes, right), but I still spend far too much time trying to decide which one I prefer (neither, they’re both great, just different) and wondering whether I’ve made the right choice. I drive myself nuts sometimes.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’ve got down to one mountain bike and one road bike. It does certainly make life simpler.

At some point presumably my willpower will give out and I’ll end up with another 7….

tang
    Free Member

Mtb + pro6 has most things covered for me. I would love more bikes but tbh I can’t really justify it!

wolfenstein
    Free Member

From 5 down to 2 and even sharing wheelset.. Many bikes is good dont get me wrong, just put huge dent in your wallet come fork/shock servicing time …

all I need are

1) 160mm bike for the alps summer trip
    2) 120mm FS for regular UK trails
    3) 100mm 29er (anthem,epic,..maybe stereo carbon) for sportive events.

cookeaa

FWP alert!

TBH I can’t really feel sorry for you OP, having come to the conclusion that you own too many bikes and should perhaps ride fewwer of them but more often we get:

I’m not going to get rid of any bikes,

So what’s was your point exactly?
    You are just going to carry on being a hoarder of bicycles?

cjr61

Happy to organise a bike amnesty for those who want to downgrade to N+1.
    Rest assure everything can be anonymous. Just drop them off at my house and we’ll never speak of them again.

You’ll be able to sleep easy.

😀

wwaswas

you own too many bikes and should perhaps ride fewwer of them but more often we get:

I think I’m still going to ride them all, just in less frequent rotation.

Instead of picking a different bike very ride I’ll pick one for a month or so. Over a year they’ll probably all end up with the same mileage they would have done with the old eeenie-meenie-miney-mo approach.

To be clear – I don’t own 10 bikes now I have
    1x140mm fs
    1xss ht
    1xfat
    1×29 geared ht
    1xroad

Mugboo

Not to mention the strange phenomenon where, although each bike is barely ridden, they are all constantly in need of mechanical attention!

I now own a FS & hardtail, both of which are similar in style and geometry so that I can swap between them without experiencing that settling in period that a different bike requires.

I’m a sensitive soul and my confidence is easily knocked by change. I’ve just regained my confidence on my hardtail by changing a couple of things. After swapping forks and bars over the summer, it felt wrong. Adding a 10mm spacer under the stem and swapping out last winters Swampthing for a different tyre, the balance is now restored 🙂

ndthornton
    Free Member

I have 3 MTBs

Lightweight 120mm hardtail
    160mm Alpine bike (quite heavy)
    140mm Full suss Alfine winter bike (heavy)

I used to just have 1 mid travel, mid weight full suss that was great for everything. I cant help feeling that 90% of the time now I’m either under biked or over biked when I used to have the perfect bike 90% of the time.

Not sure how I have let this happen but its pretty ridiculous. I think it boils down to the Alfine bike ending up far too heavy and under geared to be all that quick on anything other than DH. Should bin it really but although it climbs like a bit of a dog it is a hoot and easy to maintain.

llama

good things I found about going back to 1 MTB:

No thoughts (excuses) like ‘oh I would ride that if I was on my am/fs/dh/ss bike’

No garage full of not quite working bikes you put off fixing because there was another one to ride

More money for nicer parts

Really get used to riding it

One less decision to make

(I admit to also having a road bike, but that doesn’t count)

legend
    Free Member

Own:
    Road bike
    Mountain/AM/ENDURO bike

Need/want, to make my life betterer:
    DH Bike
    XCish/trail centre weapon
    Canal path shredder (for upcoming new commute)

BigDummy
    Free Member

Not to mention the strange phenomenon where, although each bike is barely ridden, they are all constantly in need of mechanical attention!

Exactly! This was driving me nuts. I now have one bike, that is always clean and can be restored to perfect running condition with a bit of work if I notice it developing a problem.

🙂

digga
    Free Member

I’m on 3:
    29″ 120mm, light, fast hardtail
    26″ 150mm AM
    26″ 200mm DH

The DH rig is a thing on its own.

The two trail bikes are broadly interchangeable, although obviously longer days, bigger hills, faster trails and bigger jumps are better on the 150mm bike. I enjoy riding at HT from time to time and the redundancy is often useful where mechanicals or servicing might otherwise stop me riding.

The only snag I currently have (on trail bikes, not DH, because it is so different) is switching to and fro between 26″ to 29″. On all but the most tech/gnar I’m equally quick (read slow) on either, but the process of switching seems to take about an hour or so of acclimatisation each time.

LoCo
    Free Member

Cross bike with rack & mudguard,
    ‘Race’ 29er hardtail but sensible build
    650 frankenbike Remedy for big stuff
    & bmx as a vain attempt to prove to myslef I’m not old.
    Is more than enough and covers everything for me

legend
    Free Member

The only snag I currently have (on trail bikes, not DH, because it is so different) is switching to and fro between 26″ to 29″. On all but the most tech/gnar I’m equally quick (read slow) on either, but the process of switching seems to take about an hour or so of acclimatisation each time.

obviously need moar 650b in your diet

robowns
    Free Member

I would only ever have the one.

Although I can see the interest in having 1 mtb and 1 road bike if that’s your thing.

tonyg2003

5 MTB – 3 full sus / 2 HT. Of which two 29ers.
    5 road bikes – winter mudguards bike, race bike, normal road bike, and two more classic steel bikes (which are my old racing bikes)
    plus a Brompton here.

I guess that’s a “problem” of having tons of storage space. I’m kinda whittling them down a little – obviously very unsuccessfully!

ads678

I’ve consolidated to a road bike/commuter and a LT hardtail now.

I want big bouncy FS bike but not quite a full on DH bike, then i’ll have all my bases covered.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

1x road bike
    1x MTB hardtail
    1x SS commuter

I pretty much have a 1 in, 1 out policy. We’re in a flat right now so with MrsSalmon’s bike too 4 is already a PITA. Also right at the moment I don’t ride any of them except the commuter enough to justify any more!
    If I had more funds/space/time though I could probably be tempted by extras…

HansRey

at the start of the year i had—

170mm FS
    140mm HT
    100mm HT
    Jump bike
    Commuter
    City bike
    Fixie bike

Now, i’ve slimmed it down.

170mm FS
    140mm FS
    Jump bike
    Commuter
    Fixie bike
    …and a 140mm HT frame

By the end of the year, i want to be left with a…

170mm FS
    140mm FS
    Jump bike
    Commuter

molgrips
    Free Member

My problem is owning a 5 and a Patriot. Too similar really – long term, I’ll convert the 5 into a rigid 29er I think.

hatter

The trick is to try and avoid them overlappng too much, if you genuinely have to think hard about which bike to take on a ride then you could probably live without one of them.

I’m currently at

Rigid 1 x 10 29er – For local XC/
    Swanky carbon road bike – For ‘proper’ road rides in nice weather.
    Cross bike with mudguards for commuting/errands/Chariot duties.

I’d very much like another bouncy bike for gnar and going to Wales, but that’s going to have to wait til spring.

BoardinBob

130mm hardtail
    170mm full susser
    200mm downhill bike

loads of fun on all of them

kcal

I /could/ probably lose one bike from the current 4 – but each time I think, Ok, which one, I’m stumped.
    26″:, c. 1995, rigid SS MTB
    26″, 1998 HT geared MTB
    all road robust road bike – SS / geared 2013
    26″ 1998 fixed gear MTB drop bar conversion (monstrosity)

The last one could – I suppose – go but it’s fun in its own way, kind of pub bike really.

None of them owe me anything, being either old, cheap to buy or both.

But I know what you mean, sometimes the maintenance gets out of hand and you run round in ever-decreasing circles to find a bike, any bike, for a spin. I know the limitations of each bike though, never / rarely feel I’m on the wrong one; though what I take out will select what trails / routes I’m doing..

digga
    Free Member

@HansRey
    Why get rid of the HT?

I’ve always liked having one about and the difference in feel from the trail. In the winter I feel (perhaps illogically) that I’m wearing less out and certainly when it’s muddy they make progress slightly less sapping.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the missus has handed down a strict “one in, one out” policy.

You did reply that this applies to wifes just as much as bikes 😉

I limit it to

1 fs
    1 SS
    1 hardatail
    1 road bike
    1 pub/hack bike

I do not have to but anything else and IMHO you are just replicating something you already have and it would not get much use

moshimonster
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you be better off having less bikes, but with the same overall budget i.e. better bikes?
    Or are they all works spec bikes already?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like having a few different bikes, keeps it interesting.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Owning lots of bikes made me have less fun riding’ is closed to new replies.