Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Owning Cats with bombers
  • anagallis_arvensis

My little lad plays in the garden, so I don’t fancy him playing in pooh

clean it up then its hardly the end of the world, that or go live on an island with not cats.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

clean it up then its hardly the end of the world

Point = missed

True, but why should he HAVE TO? Surely the cat’s owner should be doing that, like dog owners (should) do? No?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Which part of ‘cleaning other people’s cat shit is not much fun’ do cat owners not understand?

D0NK

There’s a wide range of cat-repellents available at your friendly local garden centre

do these actually work? Can anybody recommend one? link?

Which part of ‘cleaning other people’s cat shit is not much fun’ do cat owners not understand?

well said. I’v eput up with cat crap for years only having a minor moan about it occasionally, but as I mentioned the nipper will be wanting to play out soon so the problem needs sorting.

Dog eggs are a major PITA aswell and not to be over looked but as I don’t own a mutt I only have to be on the look out for them when I’m in public places, not my own back yard.

argyle
    Free Member

Which part of ‘getting a poisoned cat put down is not much fun’ do non-cat owners not understand?

Lifer
    Free Member

Can anybody recommend one? link?

Here you go

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Dogs are not always a sure fire answer. I have two dogs who are very keen on murdering anything furry that is not a dog. They do not yap just go straight from lolling around to full on pursuit.

There is one cat who is clearly an out and out adrenaline junkie who seems to delight in pushing his luck. Yes it sits on top of the fence where it is safe and scowls at the dogs. They just lay where they are, albeit keeping watch but every few days it feels the need to come and prowl in the garden. This is when things get interesting.

Dog sees cat from its current spot and waits. Cat sees dog and does a double take whilst starting the run for the fence. You have no idea how close it has come to death on multiple occasions.

My biggest fear is having to go and tell the owner that Tiddles is no more. I have mentioned that the cat seems to enjoy pushing its luck but the owner assures me that the dogs will never catch it. Seems to me only a matter of time.

EDIT. dogs only crap in the garden if they are not given the opportunity to do it else where. Of course, proper dog owners pick it all up and put it in bins!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Which part of ‘getting a poisoned cat put down is not much fun’ do non-cat owners not understand?

That’s not happening though, is it? Some big words maybe, but it’s never gonna happen. Stop exagerating.

Meanwhile, cat owners ignore the problem and let others clean up after them.

organic355
    Free Member

Some of the earlier comments in thread are bordering on breaking forum rules?

i.e No posts which in the opinion of the moderators are solely intended to, or are likely to provoke or abuse any individual or group.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes it sits on top of the fence where it is safe and scowls at the dogs

I love it when cats do this. Thing is, they’re clearly more intelligent than dogs. Dogs poo in their own garden and will happily live and roll in crap all day . Cats are clever enough to go and do it elsewhere where someone will clean up after them.

argyle
    Free Member

it does though, not exaggerating, not ignoring the fact that some people let their cats crap everywhere either

organic355
    Free Member

I love cats and dogs, but you can do as much about a cat crapping in your garden as you can about a bird crapping on your car unless you are intending on physically hurting, injuring or poisoning the animal.

The owner can do nothing either, short of keeping the cat inside, which is in itself an act of cruelty, IMO

D0NK

Aye very good Lifer, I know how to find them and where to get them I was asking for one that people knew worked as opposed to one whose makers said it worked ”it really does what we say it does. Honest”

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The owner can do nothing either, short of keeping the cat inside,

That’s utter rubbish. Cats can be trained to use a litter tray, so get on with it and stop making lame excuses.

roger_mellie

Buy some “Get off my garden”, if only for the comedy name (the reviews are promising too).

Amazon link

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

So the solution is that a responsible cat owner should go and clean the cat shit off of other peoples drives / lawns etc?

Not do what mine does and offer some sympathy that it used to do it in her garden, until she had a week off and spent the time shooing it away.
    Coincidentally this is around the time they started crapping on my drive again!

Seriously…. Cat repellants do not work (except maybe the one that sprays water at them). Previous threads have adivesd soaking teabags in bleach? I cleaned so much crap out of my drive (it’s much worse if your cat does bury it) that I did rake a load of bleach through it.

Is this really likely to harm your pussy?

organic355
    Free Member

Cats can be trained

FAIL

D0NK

Actually just thinking about it the repellants, which may or may not work, are likely to be nasty stuff that you wouldn’t want children putting their hands in. So bloody useless for family gardens then…..?

Lifer
    Free Member

organic355 – Member

Cats can be trained

FAIL

How so? Like I said my cat comes in to use the litter tray. That’s not instinctive behaviour.

mintimperial

Cats can be trained
    FAIL

Watch this: Moscow Cat Theatre

organic355
    Free Member

How so? Like I said my cat comes in to use the litter tray. That’s not instinctive behaviour.

You didnt train it to do that though it does it because it chooses to do so.

What did you do follow it and when it was about to take a dump, grab it, run back home and say “no Mr tiddles, you must do it here”?

organic355
    Free Member

Watch this: Moscow Cat Theatre

Cool, the cat is still choosing to do it though, if they weren’t getting treats i doubt they would bother.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I bloody hate cats. Why should the little buggers be allowed to wonder around the streets as they please? Dogs cant. What if I got a mountain lion would that be allowed to wonder around at will?

mintimperial

Cool, the cat is still choosing to do it though, if they weren’t getting treats i doubt they would bother.

Again, further evidence of the superior intelligence of cats relative to dogs, who do all sorts of daft stuff for no reward whatsoever. 😉

D0NK

What did you do follow it and when it was about to take a dump, grab it, run back home and say “no Mr tiddles, you must do it here”?

thats why I’m sceptical it can be done, you can stop it crapping on your lawn but what about everybody elses? How do you train it not do something you never see it do? yes it’s possible it only craps in the litter tray at home but I kinda doubt it.

organic355
    Free Member

Dogs cant

I doubt typical (domestic) dog would last very long out on its own?

Dogs arent to bright and would probably get hit by a car, they also cant catch, mice, birds, squirrels, rabbits etc to survive.

What if I got a mountain lion would that be allowed to wonder around at will?

There are good reasons that you cant do this, and you know it, its not as though tiddles goes round savaging small children is it?

Lifer
    Free Member

organic355 – Member

“How so? Like I said my cat comes in to use the litter tray. That’s not instinctive behaviour.”

You didnt train it to do that though it does it because it chooses to do so.

No, he was trained when he was a kitten when he wasn’t allowed out. After food or drink put him in the tray, or caught him when he started scratching somewhere and put him in the tray. If we didn’t catch him in time then any accidents went in the tray and made sure that he saw that. Keeping the litter tray clean is important.

D0NK – Member

thats why I’m sceptical it can be done, you can stop it crapping on your lawn but what about everybody elses? How do you train it not do something you never see it do? yes it’s possible it only craps in the litter tray at home but I kinda doubt it.

Because I empty the litter tray, can post you a weeks worth of evidence if you’d like?

Lifer
    Free Member

Oh and telling them off doesn’t work unless they’re actually mid movemnt.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why is it every time there is a dog / cat crap thread it always degrades into haters and lovers FFS! Grow up.

I dont hear people moaning about bird of fox cr@p in the garden or threatening to shoot them either.
    Thats how it is, deal with it.

TPTcruiser

A friend with young son and local cat problem sealed their garden up with good chicken wire around the perimeter. This stopped the regulars from using the easy route. This disruption meant new paths had to be adopted. They are now someone else’s problem.
    This may help with the back garden, front drive sounds like you ought to try the garden centre for a repellent.

jools182
    Free Member

they shit all over my garden too, dirty buggers, I don’t know what they get fed but some of the turds are huge!

there would be bloody hell to pay if I let my dog crap in other peoples gardens

mafiafish
    Free Member

I love how fired up people get about the potential drenching or kicking of cat when there are millions of other animals in kept in battery farms and killed in slaughter houses every day. I have cats and dogs but if another one did something I didn’t approve of I’d give it what for. I rather expect that much of the issues of this threat are to do with the ownership of the animal rather than the actual welfare of it. What’s the difference between a pest cat or pest rat other than the cat belongs to someone?

convert

Cats crap to mark territory. They only bury it when they want/need to to reduce their obvious presence to other cats – it’s a submissive thing not a cleanliness thing. Big un-neutered toms like to curl one down and leave it to steam in all its glory to mark its patch. If your cat makes a big deal of burying or comes in to dump its because its a woose, not because its trained. Our old girl had a pathological hatred of her litter tray for years and would cross her legs for hours rather than use it. She then got very badly mauled by the local tom (life or deather) and has dumped in her tray ever since. She has realised her place in life and its not on the front line!

You can train them not to come into the area though – that big tom never comes back now after I got busy with some yelling, water and lobbing of logs in its general direction.

D0NK

Wrong forum for pictures of turds lifer – and not one that I subscibe to I hasten to add 🙂 I didn’t say it wasn’t possible but that I was sceptical and even with your pics of full litter trays I doubt you can prove your cat didn’t have a sly one just to piss off the neighbours.

Oooh I’m very sceptical today aint i?

Lifer
    Free Member

If your cat makes a big deal of burying or comes in to dump its because its a woose, not because its trained.

😆

Brilliant. Marking territory (spraying or pooing) is done when cats need the reassurance of their scent around them, so completely the opposite actually!

Cats that bury or use the litter tray are happy cats.

IanMunro
    Free Member

How about ones that leave a couple of small wings and a bunch of feathers for you to step on as you stumble bleary eyed into the kitchen for breakfast this morning?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I know this sounds implausible, but…
    get a pop bottle, 1 or 2 litre version, take all labels off, fill it with water, put the lid on then put the bottle in the garden that you want to be C@ Sh@ free. Dunno why, but it keeps them away.

McHamish
    Free Member

It’s only marking it’s territory.

Go in your garden and piss everywhere…then take a big crap in the middle of your lawn. Now it’s your territory again.

anagallis_arvensis

True, but why should he HAVE TO? Surely the cat’s owner should be doing that, like dog owners (should) do? No?

no because cats go about there business unattended and seeing as how lots of people in this country its just a fact of life really, deal with it and move on no point getting hot under the collar.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Get the biggest, most powerful waterpistol you can buy. Shoot them. They won’t come back.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Owning Cats with bombers’ is closed to new replies.