Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Owning a Subaru WRX – money pit of epic proportions?…
  • Gachet
    Free Member

Those are Prodrive wheels fitted to the one on Auto trader, although I don’t think they would have been fitted to that as standard as I’ve only seen them on slightly newer cars.

jimjam
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

This thread is getting my Legacy Urges going again. There’s a JDM twinscroll 100 miles away from me for £2750… Ignore the 140000 miles and the whiny gearbox, I’m sure they’re nothing to worry about…

Bargain so long as you’ve got another £6k to spend on it.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Northwind speaks the truth.
    The boot is not that big. I bought a Skoda Octavia VRS hatchback a few years after the Subaru and the boot was much bigger even though it wasn’t an estate.
    Nowhere near as much fun though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sharkattack

I know the boot isn’t that big. Every time I see one in the flesh I have a good look at it. My other car of choice though is a mk6 Fiesta ST. If I can fit two bikes in the back with the seats down that’s literally all I need.

If I can do 4 wheel drifts on wet roads listening to the clunking of mechanical diffs, that’s just a bonus. I can’t afford a Lancia Delta.

Northwind

jimjam – Member

Bargain so long as you’ve got another £6k to spend on it.

How about this one?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-Subaru-Legacy-2-0-D-REn-5dr/162725054897?hash=item25e32b49b1:g:Hj8AAOSwd0BVzKMj
    Sitting a bit low at the back for some reason 😆

wiggles
    Free Member

I always really wanted one of these for a “sensible family car”

Northwind

Hang on, time for a new thread

wrightyson
    Free Member

Those are Prodrive wheels fitted to the one on Auto trader, although I don’t think they would have been fitted to that as standard

As I said. They’re speedline prodrive wheels, first seen on the wr1 version I believe.

Jakester
    Free Member

choppersquad – Member
    Northwind speaks the truth.
    The boot is not that big. I bought a Skoda Octavia VRS hatchback a few years after the Subaru and the boot was much bigger even though it wasn’t an estate.
    Nowhere near as much fun though.

I went from an Octy VRS to the Forester, and the smaller boot in the latter came as something of a shock – I think that although they appear to have the same dimensions, the rear running gear takes up a lot of the space so it’s much shallower.

sharkattack

I was bored at work today and I sent a message to a dealer on eBay asking if they would consider a part exchange on my van. I got a speedy reply that said certainly, they would absolutely accept a VW T5 in exchange for an Impreza.

So…. I need to tart my van up a bit and see what they’ll offer. I don’t want to put any more than a grand their way and if the insurance isn’t a big hike I might go for it.

I’m off on Monday, I might go down there and for a test drive.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ooo keep us posted. Turn up early and listen for any knock when she’s cold. Mine was always tappity when cold which is apparently common. Check history especially big services which would have included dif oils etc. And especially can belt. It’s early really for a modern car, if I remember right either 50 or 60k.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

the rear running gear takes up a lot of the space so it’s much shallower.

My Jack Russell loved the Forester. It’s the only car I’ve had where she could see out of the rear windows. If I could find one in good nick, red, white or blue, I’d get it in a heartbeat!

sharkattack

It’s this one I like… WRX PPP

Below average mileage, no signs of rusty arches or window frames. FSH and receipts for cam belts etc.

Just realise how far away it is though. Almost a 4 hour round trip! I need to ask my landlord if I can use the garage that he’s just emptied out. That’s the real deal breaker. Don’t think I’d sleep with it sitting outside getting covered in twigs and leaf mulch. The van looks like crap at the minute.

jimjam
    Free Member

I was thinking about this thread today. Can’t say I miss my Subarus too much. I was delivering the kids to the grandparents, over an icy mountain road and I would certainly have appreciated the surefootedness of the Legacy but beyond that…..

Overtaking was “fun” but once you got the big turbo going illegal speeds, then license losing speeds piled on so quickly that every full throttle moment was accompanied by paranoia and guilt. Granted it had over 100bhp more than a standard WRX but the all or nothing power delivery was not dissimilar. Brother in law had a WRX, then a P1 coupe, followed by an Evo VI Tommi Makinen. The Evo was a more engaging and playful car to drive than any of his or my Subarus, but still kind of fragile or highly strung compared to todays cars.

Scamper
    Free Member

Used to have a boggo 2.0 Wagon and to this day it’s posdibly the best car I’ve owned. Even that needed pads every 20k.

Always wanted a WRX PPP as above. All the straight line pace of a boggo Sti, with a little more torque and less weight. Obviously missing the other sti bits though.

sharkattack

Thread resurrection! Did anyone buy a Subaru Wagon yet?

I never jumped on that silver one. We had a bit of bad news (family related) and spent a couple of weeks at home up north. So all this car nonsense went on the back burner. But I’m still obsessing over them.

Then today this one pops up- https://goo.gl/HJpxHF

It’s perfect, if a little high mileage. It’s a PPP, it’s the best colour, it already has a tow bar!  It’s exactly what I want and it’s even cheaper than my bike was.

But… there’s absolutely zero chance that I can get all the way to Ipswich to fully inspect it. Any Subaru experts care to check out the advert and see what you think?

jimjam
    Free Member

Just buy it. You’ll have to own one before you realise the pros, cons and reasons to regret your purchase. Buy it. Do it. Now!!

hamishthecat

What’s it been towing?  Is what I’d want to know.

wrightyson
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 16px;”>What’s it been towing?  Is what I’d want to know.</span>

Just for a bike rack the advert says. Hoevee looks like it’ gone and I can see why at that price

sharkattack

Yeah that one’s gone already. It was up less than a day. I’m actually gutted, it was exactly what I wanted and well within budget.

Curse being stuck at work all day.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Owning a Subaru WRX – money pit of epic proportions?…’ is closed to new replies.