Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Owners of female dogs, particularly Border Terriers.
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I have a 7 month old BT and we are pretty sure she has just started to come into season.

Over the last few days, as well as all the obvious sighs like swelling, scenting etc, she has gone off her food.

Have any of you with female dogs experienced them having a loss of appetite?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Molly had hers around the same time. Didn’t notice any loss of appetite to be honest. But she’s not a big eater either. Dogs are just not hungry sometimes. Are you walking her less because of her being in season? I wouldn’t sweat it too much. When Dottie’s hungry, she’ll eat.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Maybe not an appetite loss as such. She still enjoys her Frankfurter treats and as an experiment this morning we gave her a choice of a few puppy kibble and adult food and she chose the kibble. She’s been on adult food for about a month btw.

We are still walking he twice a day but the only difference being that she stays on the lead and out of parks where other dogs are. 😕

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not sure then MM. This weekend, Molly’s eaten not much really. But, occasionally, she doesn’t. She’s still absolutely fine. I’d be wary of giving Dottie choices when it comes to food. There are no fussy pets, just fussy owners. 🙂 If Molly doesn’t eat what’s in the bowl, it doesnt get changed. Obviously Dottie will still eat her sausages and cheese because they smell and are flavoured more strongly – that’s why treats are treats.

She will be a bit different when she’s in season but it’ll only last a few weeks. Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about her. She’ll be grand.

samuri
    Free Member

Our dog goes right off her food when she comes in season. She’ll not eat for days. Plus she goes dead miserable. Just lies in her basket looking at us. She usually starts all this a couple of weeks before she starts.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Mrs deadly has just reminded me that Molly did suffer from an upset tummy when she was in season.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

MM
    Good to hear your being a responsible dog owner as in walking her on the lead and not around known dog walking spots. Our dog is whole ( because we show him) and the amount of times we have had to pull our dog off a bitch in season that’s running around out in the park. It’s an unwritten rule, you just don’t do it.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

samuri, that sounds exactly how Dottie is at the moment, she’s quite yappy too, demanding attention.

We have just fed her chicken breast and moist kibble and she ate it in seconds. 😯 😀

Edit: She has just come in, sat next to me, licked her chops and settled down for a snooze. Hopefully, normal service resumed!!

anagallis_arvensis

the amount of times we have had to pull our dog off a bitch in season that’s running around out in the park. It’s an unwritten rule, you just don’t do it.

apparently many do not know this rule.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

[/quote]the amount of times we have had to pull our dog off a bitch in season that’s running around out in the park. It’s an unwritten rule, you just don’t do it.
    apparently many do not know this rule.
    Responsible dog owners should do.

anagallis_arvensis

Responsible dog owners should do.

therein lies the problem

I would also add that many dogs will still chase a bitch for several weeks after she is not receptive anymore.

andyl
    Free Member

The responsibility works both ways – if you have a dog and don’t intend to breed from it then snip his balls off or accept that if you see a dog owner with their bitch (or suspect it’s a bitch) on the lead then maybe you should get your dog under control and put it on the lead until far enough away.

Really pisses me off when you are fending off a dog for 10 minutes because it’s owners are no-where in sight. Although if no owners are out and the dog is being persistent then they a gentle boot. Not like the one that aggressive dogs get!

As for food – yes they can do and it probablu just that. But also keep also be aware of things like a flair up of Campylobacter when off food and can be common just after a season as the dogs sytem has just been working hard and is vulnerable. Chicken and rice normally work and we have resorted to also adding some chicken gravy (buy the liquid stuff you add water to). Also check the colour and condition of your dogs stool – another benefit of responsible dog owning is you get a very good insight into your dogs health every time you pick up its poo!

Nobby

Our dog goes right off her food when she comes in season. She’ll not eat for days. Plus she goes dead miserable. Just lies in her basket looking at us. She usually starts all this a couple of weeks before she starts.

Sounds just like ours – in fact, she’s still like it at the right time despite having been spayed now.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Pippa was the same. Loss of appetite etc. She is 3 now. just had her spayed.

anagallis_arvensis

Really pisses me off when you are fending off a dog for 10 minutes because it’s owners are no-where in sight. Although if no owners are out and the dog is being persistent then they a gentle boot. Not like the one that aggressive dogs get!

I’ve had that with mine, have been known to unleash the fury of a Lurcher on one or two. I only take her out a couple of weeks after the season finished (she had two and was then done) and what you notice are the dogs that try and shag her then are the ones that try throughout the year. Most soon give up trying after 10mins of chasing her round and getting their ears chewed.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Same “whole” dogs in the park are the same sex pests all year round, pissing all over everything and everyone, trying to hump anything that moves, fighting with any other “whole” dog…

Always the owner though 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

It’s the little ‘chav’ dogs that annoy me. Skinny little things, always running around uselessly like idiots making a lot of noise trying to shag anything in sight, even when the bitch in question is clearly out of their class. 😉

I always take a rubber ball for Ruby to play with when we’re out. Thrown accurately at a nose or arse, it’s a very useful deterrant. Works on the dogs too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Owners of female dogs, particularly Border Terriers.’ is closed to new replies.