Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Own up. Who has been red light jumping then?
  • allthepies
    Free Member

50/50 blame there IMO. Lorry jumped lights but the cyclist wasn’t paying attention and didn’t look at the lights to check they were green or even bother to look left.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMnQ7lpOZ3o[/video]

Ouch!

that could have been a lot worse. glad he’s alright.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lorry clearly jumps the light but then again so does the cyclist [ just/borderline] who compounds this by, inexplicably] not looking left

Easily avoidable and both to blame though lorry massively RLJ’s

imnotverygood

Lorry obviously does RLJ although how long the light has been red for isn’t clear. It did occur to me to wonder if the cyclist was drunk, but if not it is an extremely ‘tired’ bit of riding. His brain is most definitely in neutral & I guess he can’t normally ride like that otherwise he wouldn’t last 5 minutes in the centre of London. Lucky boy!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Hopefully a wake up call for that cyclist, cos he isn’t going to last long with that level of observation.

Junkyard
    Free Member

@ 38 seconds you can see the lights in front i s red and amber and the lorry is just behind the white line in the lane …they not so much jumped it as ignored it.

then again its only green 5 seconds later at that speed 😯 Is red amber a set time on traffic lights?

kimbers

at least he had a lid on!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Needs to learn to cover the brakes too.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I cn only judge that by the traffic lights I know up here in Edinburgh. – Here they both go to amber at the same time. No fault from truck driver – cyclist is either stoned or pissed or both.

falkirk-mark

Couple of muppets, however in cases like that the cyclist will always take second prize, so to that end he is the bigger muppet.

teasel
    Free Member

WTF has the cyclist got on his feet?

IMO, watching a few times – I reckon he saw the truck and got a Righteous Rush™ or something. That’s why his hand is off the bar in the still up there and why he ends up ‘tapping’ the side of the lorry.

fourbanger
    Free Member

One of the stupider ways I’ve seen of trying kill yourself.

butcher

That’s almost as impressive as running over yourself in your own car, whilst driving.

njee20
    Free Member

I cn only judge that by the traffic lights I know up here in Edinburgh. – Here they both go to amber at the same time. No fault from truck driver

No way?! At most they go amber the instant the others go to red. I can’t believe any lights at a crossroads would show Amber to both directions at the same time, that would be carnage!

Lorry’s fault, but the cyclist is a cretin for not looking.

spursn17
    Free Member

Trafalgar Square – Northumberland Avenue; I use this junction every day.

Red light jumping is common here (and all the other lights around there) as the area is so screwed up after the road layout change a few years ago. The worst bit is after those lights where the road narrows, you need a good sprint to make it safely before the cars try and squash you. Would be wonderful if there was a copper there sometimes but they’re too busy to bother with anything safety related!

wiganer
    Free Member

This isn’t a case of legally who’s right and who’s wrong it’s a case of self preservation. As a motorbiker myself this is the kind of thing you look out for. Cyclist was riding dumb and will get himself killed, avoidably in this case, due to his own ignorance.

trout
    Free Member

Spacial awareness and observation skills missing from the cyclist
    lorry is coming through what ever

cyclist needs to go to Specsavers

thv3
    Free Member

Lorry clearly in the wrong, but how they not see that?

Must have trouble avoiding buildings with eyesight like that!

brooess
    Free Member

Agree that better judgement needed from the cyclist – but really and truly, going through a green light should be a relatively risk-free experience!

I stopped an an amber on Thursday going through Victoria and nearly got run over by the truck behind me who just carried straight on. I would be dead if I hadn’t looked behind me before stopping, and getting out of his way when I realised he wasn’t stopping.

He was plastered with those ‘cyclists keep clear’ stickers of course – the ones that he thinks absolve him of taking any care around cyclists…

The real issue here is the utter disregard of red light…

allthepies
    Free Member

Absolutely, but you still need to deploy some common sense. We can see that from the video clip, always look! Could be a RLJ, could be an emergency service vehicle. The cyclist in the clip had no awareness.

belugabob
    Free Member

but really and truly, going through a green light should be a relatively risk-free experience

A green light simply means “proceed, if it is safe to do so” – and the cyclists made no attempt to determine if it was safe. (Not that he waited for the green, either)

falkirk-mark

Lorry clearly in the wrong, but how they not see that?

As was the cyclist, the white line was 4 yards back from the lights which is where he should have been he should have also waited till the light was green before moving off. If he had been injured he would get little sympathy from me as he was reckless (not saying the lorry wasn’t he was as much to blame) just that the cyclist is the one that will end up hurt from these situations.

jools182
    Free Member

Lights weren’t green and he was already rolling before getting on the pedals

brooess
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong – that was poor judgement by the guy on the bike – the one thing about cycling you should always remember is that your vulnerability means you have to take responsibility for the poor skills and judgement of everyone else…

But red light jumping is 100% against the law… and it seems to have become socially acceptable to add to the risk everyone else has to face just because you’re a bit impatient…

smatkins1
    Free Member

The cyclists who had stopped beyond the stop line didn’t help this situation. Blocking our boy’s line of sight as he tried to get a rolling start to show everyone his orange bike was the fastest.

cynic-al
    Free Member

100% cyclists fault, no need to explain (I hope)

As an aside he does go OTB from pulling his front brake so it’s also his fault for that reason (I thought front brake lock sorted all sorts of problems out?)

jamesoz

Not that far from there this evening approx 5pm at a junction I was sat at in my work van, a mid fifties (at a guess) chap on a bike sailed through the red lights on a bike whilst on his mobile. Practically running into the police officers who were manning/womaning all corners of the junction. When stopped he carried on talking on the phone, I must admit I was looking for the TV cameras.

duckman

Where is aracer to tell us how suggesting the cyclist contributed to his own demise is akin to suggesting girls in short skirts are asking for it? Thank God I don’t live in London,how can cycling be a way of relaxing? My commute involves b roads with views towards Glen Esk on the way home 🙂 Bit colder in Winter I would guess though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cyclist fault 100%

Doesn’t matter if the lorry went through their light at full red, a lorry is going to hurt a cyclist more than a cyclist is going to hurt a lorry. Not to look is just stupid.

shermer75
    Free Member

It looks to me like the cyclist crosses the ASL when it’s still on red. Another salient point, IMO, is that he passes what looks like about half a dozen other cyclists, all stationary and all patiently waiting their turn to cross the junction, thinking that he knows better. Not the smartest move!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Riding towards the traffic with a feeling of moral superiority because your light has just about flickered to green is one thing (I may even do it now and then) but riding into the side of anything never mind a large white truck is way beyond the level of stupidity I’d be happy displaying.

njee20
    Free Member

Cyclist fault 100%
    Doesn’t matter if the lorry went through their light at full red, a lorry is going to hurt a cyclist more than a cyclist is going to hurt a lorry. Not to look is just stupid.

So because they’ll do more damage you’re saying lorries can completely ignore traffic signals, and the onus is on everyone else to just stay out of their way? RLJing? That’s fine, it’s the other road users faults. Do you know cyclists don’t even pay road tax?

Split liability. The cyclist is the one who’ll die, but I think people are confusing that with ‘at fault’. Or are you really saying that if the lights were green 5 seconds earlier, and the truck had sailed through a light that was red for 5 seconds that it’s still the cyclist’s fault?

aracer
    Free Member

njee +1 – how bizarre to suggest that the truck isn’t to blame because they won’t get hurt, but then I’ve come to expect that on here (off to mumsnet for more sensible opinions).

@duckman – congratulations for knowing my opinion before I’ve posted, and for completely misunderstanding victim blaming. In this instance I’d suggest the cyclist is about equally to blame. The only point I’d raise regarding things which are wrong but accepted and not challenged is that the truck driver has a greater responsibility to obey the law in situations like this because he’s going to hurt other people if he does it wrong. Suggesting the cyclist isn’t at all at fault in this situation would be equally bizarre though – what sort of idiot doesn’t even make sure the space they’re riding into is clear?

poah
    Free Member

lol that was funny

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

njee – no when I ride a bike on the road I know that I am bottom of the food chain, and everything else has the potential to kill me.

Regardless of whether the lorry should have stopped, I would have not cycled in to a road with a lorry coming towards me.

aracer
    Free Member

In what way does that make it 100% the cyclist’s fault?

njee20
    Free Member

Obviously FunkyDunc, that’s common sense, and i totally agree. But that’s not the same as it being “100% the cyclists fault”, as several have said.

ninfan
    Free Member

Another salient point, IMO, is that he passes what looks like about half a dozen other cyclists, all stationary and all patiently waiting their turn to cross the junction, thinking that he knows better.

Did you not hear him shout ‘STRAVA!’ 😆

mcnik
    Free Member

Drop bar brakes always seem a dangerous set up for city riding, for ‘casual’ cyclists at least. Guy is riding along standing up with hands on tops, meaning he has to move his hands to get to brakes, and can only move one hand at a time because of control… in an emergency stop like this, the only outcome is gonna be grabbing a handful of front brake and going OTB.

With flat bars he could have been on both brakes and got his weight back. Also wider tyres and disc brakes would allow better emergency stopping.

(of course, this is putting aside all the daft RLJing and lack of observation by both parties).

IMHO city commuting on a ‘racing’ bike is like commuting in a Porche 911. Looks cool, but is stupidly impractical and potentially dangerous (for most people that aren’t actual rodies).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Own up. Who has been red light jumping then?’ is closed to new replies.