Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Own brand stuff that's better than the branded stuff
  • tommyhine

Just bought some pork pies from Tesco branded as the pork farms ones.
    They were rubbish, I normally buy the tesco own ones which I have to say are pretty good. Obviously no comparison to hand made more expensive farm shop variety ones but still good.

What other things follow this trend?

root
    Free Member

sainsburys own organic ketchup (not an organic chaser, just tastes really good)

convert

own brand fig rolls

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thepurist

Sainsos crunchy nut cornflakes, and their weetabix. Both (IMO) better than the orginals.

zilog6128

Mate who used to work as a rep for Hovis told me that the own-brand bread they made for M&S was made to a higher spec (whatever that means in bread terms!) than branded Hovis.

root
    Free Member

Tinned tomatoes

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Fortnum and Mason’s apricot conserve is better than Robertson’s.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DD is right, you know. The deli does have some lovely stuff.

Junkyard
    Free Member

my mate works ina toilet paper factory they do loads of brands – all are made the same but for some branding and patterns so there is essentially no difference – except the real proper cheap value stuff which was poorer and M & S which was higher

In general none spring to mind about what is good but Aldi do some cracking value stuff

banks
    Free Member

Aldi cream cheese chive dip thing

RustySpanner

The Aldi chorizo is ace.

Their chocolate is very good too.
    In fact, the only thing they fall down on is the mayo, which is vile.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Most own brand dilute cordial is better than Robinsons.

tinsy
    Free Member

Aldi winter gloves, above all others.

MoreCashThanDash

Aldi winter gloves plus one!

Plus most of their other stuff – only been disappointed with their crunchy nut cornflakes

tomhoward

Asda milkshakes.

Miffy
    Free Member

Most of Lidl’s own brand is better (espically the ketchup)
    The only disappointment is their creamed rice, not where near a good as Ambrose.

bearnecessities

Adsa furniture polish.

Tesco brown sauce.

banks
    Free Member

Forgot about Aldi chorizo – going through a couple of packets a week atm !

mrmoofo

Aldi’s London Gin

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

As something of a biscuit connoisseur, I used my colleagues for a taste test of my staple favourites recently – the mighty Bourbon.

I selected Tesco value, Tesco own brand, McVities tasties and Sainsbury’s own brand and did a blind taste test. Asda Bourbons were not selected since they have violated the sacred standard Bourbon form factor and gone for a sort of short squat aspect ratio which I wholly disapprove of, as well as God knows what differences to the recipe.

Interestingly, the ‘premium’ McVities ones (at >4x the price of Tesco value, adjusted for pack size!) come third in aggregate score, with the Tesco value ones coming top. But it was very close and all agreed that their ratings were almost arbitrary and there was virtually no difference that they could discern, either visually or gustatorily.

Cougar

Sainsbury’s organic tinned tomatoes are easily the best I’ve found. So sweet compared to most others that I’d to check there was no added sugar.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Anything I’ve ever bought from Lidl, and I’m always about 30 quid cheaper than going to Tesco, partly cheaper and partly because I’m less likely to be swayed by shit I don’t need

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Double post, so here’s an owl in a hat

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Lidl Mars bars

All fruit ever

Ambrose

@Miffy

Aw- shucks. You say the sweetest things 🙂

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

at and no knickers.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Asda mayo better than hellmans shocker

bearnecessities

Double post, so here’s an owl in a hat

That made me spill my tea whilst on the phone.

Ambrose

Did somebody post a pic of a kitten in a knitted mushroom yesterday?

spchantler
    Free Member

placebo effect innit, you think its better cos its cheaper. reality is its all made the same factories. whats even better is food bank food, its free! (joins queue camping outside local church)

rossi46
    Free Member

Beans.

Heinz are crap, Sainsburys own are good.

Coke.

Pepsi and Coke are nice but £2 a bottle unless on offer.

Sainsburys own at 60p a bottle or £1.99 for 4 bottles is ace!

rossi46
    Free Member

food bank food, its free!

Do you have to prove that you need it and can’t afford to go and buy your own?

skids
    Free Member

ASDA and Morrisons coke

rossi46
    Free Member

Happy shopper energy drink at 35p a can is soooo much nicer than Red Bull 😀

(I do quite like Relentless though)

weare138
    Free Member

M&S ketchup. All lumpy and stuff and very nice compared to Heinz.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Lidl luxury fruit and nut muesli.

It’s so packed with goodies, it awesome.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Oh – defo agree on the biscuits one (ahem). Tesco value bourbons and jaffa cakes boss the proper ones.
    Sainsbury’s cat litter v Catsan.
    Tesco Value fruit and fibre
    And probably some other stuff too.

mrmoofo

TBH, most branded stuff will be better than the basic ranges . But the “taste the difference” std will be very close to the brands.

Most brands have been significantly cheapened over the last 10 years or so – Milka, Toblerone, McVities etc
    Lidl / Aldi have surprisingly high standards in the food they are supplied ( i.e the coffee is very good). When you come to commodity items – UHT milk, UHT orange juice, tinned sweetcorn or tomatoes you may get parity.

Heinz ketchup is iconic … and they do not make for PL. But some of the me toos are getting very good. But many will contain preservatives and maybe even flavour.

But price can be a real driver of taste bud preference

jonba
    Free Member

I have worked in the fruit juice business so know some of the differences between brands and levels within the brands (is value, std etc.).

Needless to say when it comes to buying juice I rarely do as I’m still sick of the stuff.

rentachimp
    Free Member

You need a ticket from a third party to claim a food bank handout. These are usually places like CAB, social services, jobcentre, Health Centres, probation officers, and support agencies that help the skint. If you arent skint, I suppose it depends how good you are at blagging/ how morally bankrupt you are.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Own brand stuff that's better than the branded stuff’ is closed to new replies.