Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Overwing exits – getting down?!
  • teacake
    Free Member

I just watched this bit of footage from the BBC News site: Exacuation at Gla airport

At the end someone on the video mentions “that was crazy them coming off that wing.”

I’ve thought about this before – do you just exit the door, head for the back of the wing and jump down onto the tarmac? Ouch! On some aircraft it’s a good 6ft plus.

A bit easier if the landing gear fails I guess!
    Any thoughts?

Trimix
    Free Member

No, you sit on the wing while the plane burns and wait for a ladder !

Oggles
    Free Member

In that video the flaps are extended to allow you to lower yourself down from a reasonably safe height. Larger aircraft have slides which extend from the door and off the edge of the wing.

br
    Free Member

Doors are at the front, where I’m sat 🙂

simon1975

Crikey what about the engines? I thought those exits were for mainly for escaping after landing in water (when the engines will have stalled?)

DenDennis
    Free Member

speaking from personal, real experience,
    when I evacuated via the wing, you step out the side door into fresh air (birmingham airport I think in this case), to be greeted by fire crew on the ground shouting “GET DOWN! GET DOWN!”…
    they had a kind of small crash mat thing to land on I seem to remember, though one member of our trip ended up with a broken ankle…
    (reason for evacuation- leaking fuel after having taken off!) 😯

rootes1

On some aircraft it’s a good 6ft plus.

6ft.. and the rest.

Trimix
    Free Member

6foot plus, thats far to dangerous to try. Id rather burn to death on the wing !

Nobby

If I had to leave an aircraft in a real emergency I doubt I’d give a t*** how I got down.

trail_rat
    Free Member

nobby my thoughts too …. id even try a double frontflip with a half pike if i thought it would help !

im guessing abody on my last flight watched that documentary about flying – i chose second row from the rear and got a whole row of 4 to my self for the long haul – stretched out , headphones on noise cancel and got my long haulf snooze on !

trail_rat
    Free Member

nobby my thoughts too …. id even try a double frontflip with a half pike if i thought it would help !

im guessing abody on my last flight watched that documentary about flying – i chose second row from the rear and got a whole row of 4 to my self for the long haul – stretched out , headphones on noise cancel and got my long haulf snooze on !

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Am I alone in thinking, “Those slides look like fun!” whenever they do the safety video?

🙂

gravity-slave
    Free Member

You’re probably alone in watching the safety video…

andyrm
    Free Member

I worked as cabin crew for 3 years after uni for a bit of a change (getting paid to travel with nice looking girls was a pretty cool move at 22!).

From the overwing exit to the wing, there is usually a strap that attaches to the wing and fuselage to help guide to a safer place to drop down.

But in the case of an evac (Did 1 real one in that 3 years and then 2 practice ones a year), passengers tend to “freeze” so you drag them, push them, do whatever it takes to get them out in the critical 90 seconds. A few broken ankles/arms/legs or whatever is pretty unimportant relative to the alternative……….

andyrm
    Free Member

Am I alone in thinking, “Those slides look like fun!” whenever they do the safety video?

Until you hit the deceleration pad at the bottom and it gives you the mother of all wedgies!!!! 😯

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

yep pretty sure i’d be out quicker than s**t off a shovel wouldn’t give a monkeys if it broke my ankle

Northwind

If everyone ran out to the tip of one wing, would you be able to get the plane to fall over? Then walk safely off (don’t be last off, or you’ll get fired into space)

petersnell
    Free Member

Ha ha!^^ have to try that! , some jets have overwing slides which are fun to bounce/slide/jump down. (Airbus series) Boeing don’t usually and it’s a case of a 10ft drop. Least of your worrys if you/planes on fire.

globalti
    Free Member

How far from the top deck of an A380?

freeagent
    Free Member

b r – Member
    Doors are at the front, where I’m sat

I try to avoid sitting at the front at all costs…
    I mean, you never hear of a plane getting hit up the rear by another plane, however they do fly nose-first into mountains/buildings/trees from time to time.

Over the wings is my preference, the structure is strongest at that point (circular beams to hold the wings on) and you get a bit more leg room if you sit by the emergency exits… and you can be first off! whats not to love!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I try to avoid sitting at the front at all costs…

That’s where you’re wrong….!

Almost every plane to fly doesn’t crash. So, in your perfectly safe plane you could either sit up the front in the big comfy seats that turn in to a flat bed, sipping champagne and eating nice food. Or, you could be at the back, nestling in the armpits of the 22 stone biffer sitting next to you and eating a flaccid sandwich.

I know which I’ll take….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

br
    Free Member

Over the wings is my preference, the structure is strongest at that point (circular beams to hold the wings on) and you get a bit more leg room if you sit by the emergency exits… and you can be first off! whats not to love!

I take it you’ve never flown business or first…; in first you’ve got to get out of your seat and walk to be able to touch the seat in front of you 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

when im paying on the a380 i like the seat under the stairs ….. you can lie out flat (6ft3) between you and the stairs ….

was great when i came back from NZ. One thing ive gained from working in this industry is an ability to sleep anywhere on anything so long as im horizontal 😀

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Overwing exits – getting down?!’ is closed to new replies.