Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Overweight passengers to pay for 2 seats. !!!! only slightly a guilty laugh
  • stealfwayne

Have a look at this: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,516555,00.html When are London transport, the Tubes and the UK in general going to take up this initative ?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

There was an ‘oversized’ passenger who was forced to buy two tickets a couple of years ago who sued the airline. The seats he was allocated were either side of the aisle

vinnyeh

United’s definition of overweight may differ from yours and mine.
    Was there not an EU decision made a year or so back that this was discriminatory, obviously only applicable to the EU?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but obviously they get 2 dinners too which is a result for them 🙂

scofftastic mate

BoardinBob

Aye how will they define “overweight”?

Stoner
    Free Member

it shouldnt be done on weight. It should be volume.

Archimedes’ bath at check-in. Its the only way to be sure.

stealfwayne

IF the Eu deem it discrimatory, we have no hope for a fair passenger service, The fact that planes have weight limits for luggage but not passengers seem a bit unfair, Not only does the thinner passenger have to share their ‘space’ qwith the overspill from the passenger next to them, they also have to share the burden in cost for the extra weight taht said passenger adds.
    There’s no hope for tube, bus commuters to be given this ruling as well then. I have to endure all shapes and sizes on my commute. (bluddy London). The tubes the worst, shoe horned into a tin can, Urrrggghh

jimster
    Free Member

This will be the thin end of the wedge, venue’s will also have the same problem with larger people taking up two seat spaces. Supermarket’s will require twice as much car parking spaces for their oversized cars for their oversized arses!!!

aP
    Free Member

Oversized cars for oversized people? I usually find that its very small women with Alice bands with the biggest stupidest cars – Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne, anything ever made by Chrysler, BMW X5/X6.

G
    Free Member

Can’t see the problem myself, just make the ticket relevant to a total weight including luggage, if you go over buy two, which seems totally fair to me. I weigh more than my Mrs, but she carries enough baggage to supply a branch of Marks and Sparks for a week, so it all balances out. If you’re a porker, buy sufficient room for your lardy arse and your oversized luggage, makes you life and mine more comfortable. Sorted!

sofatester
    Free Member

BordinBobs point is very valid. Especially seeing it’s weight that is the main issue with flying costs, not passanger comfort as anyone over 6foot will testify. To make it fair everyone should just have to stand on the scales with there luggage during check in. Pay for your “gross” weight 😆

vinnyeh

IF the Eu deem it discrimatory, we have no hope for a fair passenger service, The fact that planes have weight limits for luggage but not passengers seem a bit unfair, Not only does the thinner passenger have to share their ‘space’ qwith the overspill from the passenger next to them, they also have to share the burden in cost for the extra weight taht said passenger adds.

By your measures nothing in life is fair. At the moment my 2 and 3 year old children pay, iirc, 90% of the adult fare and 100% of the adult taxes when flying, despite weighing two thirds of sweet fa. I am taller than the average, thus my mass is likely to be higher than the average whether or not I am obese.
    School children get free bus travel- but they take up a seat (don’t get me started on that..) and some of them weigh a lot more than I do.

Coyote
    Free Member

LOL at SFB!

On a serious note though, it really pisses me off when we go abroad and are really careful with our baggage allowance so we don’t have to pay the excess. Then at check-in we end up next to Fatty McChubber and his grossly overweight family, in matching “leisure suits” of course, and they have the same allowance as us! They weigh twice as much as we do! How is that fair?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Are they going to have adjustable arm rests that slide along? Or is the fat munter going to have to put one cheek on each seat

onandon
    Free Member

You get charged for extra baggage so why not body weight/size.
    Some people are naturally bigger than others ,i have a solution 🙂

You know that little metal cage that allows you to check the size of your carry on ……

Well they should have a similar thing for people 🙂
    You then get charged by volume + baggage.

roddersrambler
    Free Member

I agree that a “gross” weight should be used to include passenger and luggage…however if it means that they strip to there under crackers to make the weight as in boxing.I think i would rather swim to europe than see a slob in Y-fronts !!

willard

This whole weight thing is a little unfair… I weight about 14 1/2 stone, but not that much of it is lard and it’s mainly due to me being 6 foot 5 tall.

I rarely get a seat that allows anything other than DVT and it annoys the shit out of me when I see the extra legroom seats being taken by shortarses and their tiny kids.

If you take this to extremes, I think the extra legroom seats should be reserved for tall people only. People that don’t need them should not be allowed them.

Sucks to be you if you are short and fat I guess…

aP
    Free Member

Flying is too cheap anyway, just double or quadruple the price of flying and it won’t then be a problem.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Was there not an EU decision made a year or so back that this was discriminatory, obviously only applicable to the EU?

No. A law came in providing (inter alia) that passengers with reduced mobility should be given seats appropriate to their needs, subject to safety and availability. The European Court of Justice has not ruled on whether this would mean chubbers getting freebies.

In America it’s common for airlines to charge for two seats if they’re needed.

Conversely, in a ruling handed down by the Supreme Court of Canada, the court determined obese people are entitled to two seats for the price of one.

TooTall
    Free Member

I’m with willard. Personally, my 6’7″ tall, 240lb frame isn’t exactly tubby. I can’t agree with the undernourished dwarf labrats posting on here about ‘gross weight’ combined with luggage – they are small, bitter people with squeaky little voices.

The human race is getting taller with every generation. We are where you are genetically failing to get to, oh stumpy ones. Don’t go confusing people weighing more than you with people being unfit/unhealthy/fat.

MrTall
    Free Member

I’m with Willard, at 6’7″ air travel is an absolute nightmare for anything other than very short flights.
    99.9% of Fat people are overweight due to over eating and not enough exercise so they suffer due to problems they have caused themselves. Tall people are a result of their genetics, i can’t lose height by changing my diet or exercise regime but am going to weigh far more than a similarly built chap who is a foot shorter. I’d be enraged to have to pay more through no fault of my own.
    It’s bad enough having to always get to the airports dead early to try and beg for an exit seat so my knees aren’t wedged in and even worse when i don’t get them and see tiny people sat in them when i walk by. It also means on longer flights the person in front of me is unable to recline their seat which has lead to a few arguments as this obviously angers them (i get the stewardesses to explain it to them now before takeoff).
    Can’t see extra charges happening anytime soon though as fatties are now a pretty strong vocal group out there which is forever growing.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

fatties are now a pretty strong vocal group out there which is forever growing

should read “fatties are now a pretty heavy vocal group out there which is forever growing”, and laughter at the literal ‘growing’ :o)

they are small, bitter people with squeaky little voices.

it would appear bitterness is not reserved to the small in stature 🙁

mudshark
    Free Member

Having to sit next to a chubber in economy isn’t fair for normal people because they’ll take up some of your space and possibly smell bad and even steal your food. So I think there should be a fatty area where they can be kept away from the rest of us though this might have to be thought out to ensure the plane is balanced correctly….

TooTall
    Free Member

it would appear bitterness is not reserved to the small in stature

I always imagined you to be a wee man sfb – am I wrong?

joemarshall
    Free Member

It isn’t going to make any difference for tall people – it isn’t about weight, this is about width – people who are so wide that they need to have the armrest up in order to sit in the seat, and in practice end up taking up a fair portion of the next seat, that someone else has paid for. The people who have to have the special seatbelt extensions in order to do up the belt.

Having spent a flight next to someone who oozed both under and over the armrest, I think it’s only fair enough. If in practice you take up two seats, then you should pay for two seats.

Joe

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it would appear bitterness is not reserved to the small in stature
    I always imagined you to be a wee man sfb – am I wrong?

minute compared to you lofty :o)

D0NK

LOL at mudsharks tubby tank, would have to be in the middle over the wings I guess.

I’m pretty tall and also dont like flying, exit seats are available to anyone at a cost, so if you wont pay for one but a shortarse will you can’t really moan.

sofatester
    Free Member

“if you wont pay for one but a shortarse will you can’t really moan.”

This is STW, moaning is what fuels the fire!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

One of the orkney flights weighs passengers so they can balance the plane I believe

zaskar
    Free Member

Arnold still had a 32 inch waist.

That fat guy had 132 inch waist.

gusamc
    Free Member

sounds good to me

Given that smokers got a kicking for their habit (which impacted me) I’m hoping the same attitude to ‘self inflicted’ bloaters gets up to speed.

I’d love to see something on buses etc, as nothing else seems to make
    them loose weight.

(if you think they aren’t affecting you try speaking to someone in NHS etc etc)

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, lots of cheap shots on here.

It can be a problem though, wasn’t there a case recently where a plane couldn’t take off because although it was technically full to capacity with luggage and people so it should’ve been able to take off – but there was a higher than average percentage of overweight people on it so the plane was actually too heavy?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

so the plane was actually too heavy?

seems like poetic justice really :o)
    “We’re not flying till you tubbies lose some weight!”

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TooTall………………………..

The human race is getting taller with every generation. We are where you are genetically failing to get to, oh stumpy ones. Don’t go confusing people weighing more than you with people being unfit/unhealthy/fat.

But oversize bods like yourself use up more of the planets resources with your massive appetites and lung capacity – to say nowt of all the hot air and CO2 you produce and the fact you cannot be folded into a reasonable space on public transport. You irresponsible planet murderer you. chop yourself off at the knees

There should be a tax for anyone not of responsible size. I say about 5’11 and 12 stone for the null point. Every inch / lb over that should be a % on your income tax.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

back to the schoolkids comment up there (vinny?)

kids get cheep/free for most things because otherwise (some) parents couldn’t afford them. Anyway, you’d be wingeing if they were in a car!

jimster
    Free Member

Reminds me of the Foo Fighters video to Learning To Fly.

juan
    Free Member

I say about 5’11 and 12 stone for the null point.

Too tall too fat
    1.70m for 62 kg if you are taller/bigger chop yourself short and eat less pies

DrJ

Mudshark has an excellent idea, and if it works ok planes it can be extended to other areas of life, so porkers have to stay in their own shops, streets, houses.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m wide and tall enough (but not fat) to find plane seats depressingly restrictive anyway – I mean I literally cant move my legs and my shoulders are at the very extremities of the seat space. However the biggest problem is train seating – its beyond the rediculous – I literally cannot fit on the seats without overlapping into the second space…

I’d demand minimum seat sizes for normal sized people BEFORE I’d pay for extra space. Sod off Juan – I’m 1.83 and 100kg, and have been since I was about 15!

D0NK

I hope they charged you for 2 tickets coffeeking. You’re definitley using up too much space!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Overweight passengers to pay for 2 seats. !!!! only slightly a guilty laugh’ is closed to new replies.