Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • overtime rates
  • PrinceJohn

Our boss in the style of scrooge is wanting to change the way our overtime is paid. Under his new proposals we would be getting normal rate of pay instead of time and half. His argument is the company is going through tough times and no one else out there pays time and a half. Is this true? If you aren’t salaried do you get overtime? Is it paid at time? Or time & a half, or something else?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What does your contract say? There is no norm.

grunty
    Free Member

i am ‘salaried’ but get paid OT at 1.5 times hourly rate of salary. 1.5 times for Sundays too. :o(

wwaswas

If it’s optional and no-one does it then he’ll have to put the rate back up? If enough people are prepared to work for ‘time’ then he’s got what he wants.

If he can substantiate ‘tough times’ and show that he can either cut overtime rates or staff numbers which would you rather see?

PrinceJohn

At the moment it says time and a half. This is what he wants to change. I’m just wondering how truthful he’s being when he says no else out there is getting time and a half….

If he can substantiate ‘tough times’ and show that he can either cut overtime rates or staff numbers which would you rather suffer

To be fair he has done this. But, prices are rising and I have a family to support and am effectively being asked to take a pay cut…

grunty
    Free Member

how is the company going through tough times if you have more work than the current workforce can handle.

I =would say it is down to poor management rather than tough times!

uplink
    Free Member

Our hourly paid guys get

Mon-fri 1.5 time for the first 4 hours then 2 time after that
    Sat 1.5 time all day
    Sun 2 time all day
    Bank hols 3 time all day

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Overtime?? I just work, and work some more…

kimbers

yep wtf is overtime?
    try working in a science lab
    my boss is in a sulk with me as i wont come in over xmas

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

how is the company going through tough times if you have more work than the current workforce can handle.

Well that depends on the business doesn’t it – for some businesses the overtime is to provide evening/weekend support so ‘more staff’ doesn’t help.

For example, my brother repairs electronic tills and cash machines and NCR (his employer) has to provide evening/weekend cover so the staff work a rota of overtime to provide it.

horatio
    Free Member

Why is he evening asking you or attempting to justify it. Sounds like a pretty feeble boss to me.

My over time is unpaid btw.

uplink
    Free Member

Daft statement

Our guys, may find themselves 3 hrs from home at knocking off time – what do you want them to do?
    Teleport themselves back?

PrinceJohn

Uplink what industry do you work in? Got any jobs going?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Overtime – worked plenty of it, never been paid for it. Some areas of the NHS survive on staff goodwill, the whole organisation would be in deep shit if people didn’t work unpaid.

Won’t do it now, my own health needs prevent me from doing so. Just my basic working week for me.

uplink
    Free Member

Uplink what industry do you work in? Got any jobs going?

Satellite datacomms

sorry, no jobs at present

alaric

Time and a half here after basic 9 hour day, Mon-Fri.

We don’t normally work weekends or Bank Holidays, so these are by individual agreement, usually double time and day in lieu.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

1.5 for weekdays and Saturdays
    2.0 for Sundays
    3.0 B/Hols

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

haven’t read other posts but surely if that’s a way of saving jobs then it’s worth it? I get time and a third for any OT worked on normal hours. Double time if a BH or rest day working with notice given less than 5, and time and a half if rest day working with notice given less than 14 (police). So I’d say doesn’t sound too bad, how about suggesting time and a third instead??

simonm
    Free Member

Stick to your guns.. tell him to sodd off.. just don’t wonder why your on the dole in 3 months.

Sersiosly, He wouldnt be asking if there wasnt a real reason, e.g. profits down. Think of the long term picture.

All our staff accepted 10% cut 20 months ago, thats now ended and salaries back to norm…. and were all still employed 😉

PrinceJohn

Not going to disclose what my thoughts are & position is online. I was just wondering what other peoples rates are…. bosses opinion is no one pays time & a half these days. This thread says to me that is clearly Mot true.

djglover
    Free Member

I remember the days of triple time and a day off in leiu for working Bank Holidays…:)

Haze

1.3 weekdays, 1.5 Saturdays – never worked a Sunday but I’d guess x2

Simwit

Time & a half for anything over our standard day here

gruffalo
    Free Member

Time and a half for anything over normal hours mon-fri and the first 4 hrs on saturday.

Double time for anything after four hours on saturday and on sundays.

Treble time and a day off in lieu for bank holidays.

If any of those days stretch to twelve hours we get paid for our lunch break as well.

In my experience this is standard practise for my field of work (engineering/fabrication)

TheBrick
    Free Member

Make him clarify if it is because of though times or because “no one else pay 1.5 any-more”

If it’s due to tough times ask him under what criteria would the pay be reinstated and how would you know those criteria have been met so that you can be sure he is not just trying to screw you over.

It it’s the “no one does it anymore” tell him that’s bullshit and refuse.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Salaried here, we don’t get paid overtime. We get 1/2 a day time in lieu for every 3 hours overtime we work though – the 3 hours has to be worked in a single block, you wouldn’t get 1/2 day off if you worked an extra hour for 3 days for example. Same rate applies for weekends and Bank Holidays.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

overtime mon to fri x1.5
    sat till miday x1.5 after x2
    sun x2
    bank holidays x2.5
    on call min 4.5hrs at x1.5 mon to fri if called out
    on call sat and sun min 4.5 hrs at x2 if called out
    on call retainer £1500 extra a year
    iam on call christmas day god know what the pay rate is if i get called out but it had better be really good cause carn’t have a drink all day 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

Does your boss own a samller car have they downsized or are they just asking you to do this.
    If you must do it as a trial period and as a temporary measure.
    Does it appear you have less work now than last year for example or are they taking the michael?

br
    Free Member

Suggest that he just employs another person to do the OT, and then he’ll only have to pay them ‘time’?

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

I have been in your bosses position in the past. However I didn’t cut the overtime rate, I completely stopped the overtime (for a pre determined period).

Funnily enough all (most!) work was completed within normal working hours.

Overtime was then only sanctioned on a ‘need to’ basis. Sometimes an organisation will develop an ‘overtime culture’ where overtime is worked whether there is a need or not.

I would say that the ‘need’ for overtime should be assessed before the rate of pay is cut.

TheFlyingOx

I don’t get paid overtime so instead I have a self imposed rule that if I work overtime, that time is knocked off the start of my next day at work.

Olly
    Free Member

We often have to do quite a lot of overtime (3, 4, 5 hrs extra a day) and the time over the standard 7.5hrs is unpaid.

as is driving 2 or 3 hrs to be on site at 8am when we dont get paid till 9.

No TOIL either
    and despite working all these extra hours free, time lost due to inclement weather, must be repaid within 2 weeks, or taken as holiday.

Safe.

amplebrew

If I work overtime during my normal shift, I get time and a third.

When I work overtime on a rest day with less than 7 days notice, they give me double pay.

However if I have to work a rest day with more than 7 days notice, I get the standard pay rate with a day off in lieu.

Cougar

Time and a half here, double-time on Sundays (and past midnight). Additionally, if we get called out when not on call, we get a £75 bonus.

“no-one pays time and a half” is nonsense. If they pulled that with me I’d just not do any OT any more (not that I do it very often anyway).

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Mon-sat x1.5
    sun x2

bigbloke
    Free Member

My current rates…

anything over 7.5 hrs a day is at 1.5 times hrly rate during the week

Saturday is at 1.5 times also

Sunday is 1.95 ish not quite double.

Our On Call pay is around £20 per day (7 days) plus 4 hrs at the relevant overtime rate per callout plus mileage at 40p per mile return journey.If called out numerous times in a day it still applies.

Tell your boss to do one!!!!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

yep wtf is overtime?
    try working in a science lab

12 years contract research…

Weekday OT – Time and a half between 6am and 8pm, then double, double and a half after midnight
    Weekend OT – Double time Sat and Sun
    Bank Hols – 3.4 x time

Average 20 hours a month overtime, I think my record was 64 hours OT in a month, pretty doubled my take home over Xmas – however to be fair, our basic wage was shite considering the level of responsibility…

Back to the original poster – If you refuse, then you could be laid off, are you willing to push it that far? I’d suggest maybe turning round and saying you’ll accept the cut, but only if the difference is made up as time in lieu.

schroedingerscat
    Free Member

I get booked provisionally for a set number of hours for a job ( minimum booking two hours), I just get my normal hourly rate for any overrun, but most of my job is sitting around waiting for other people to sort themselves out anyway, I do a few minutes work then have a cuppa, a packet of biscuits and a nap and my hourly rate is pretty damn good anyway, so it’s fine with me.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘overtime rates’ is closed to new replies.