• This topic has 64 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Del.
Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Overtaking Horses
  • swamp_boy

There are a lot of horses and riders round here – just inside the M25 in Herts so most are rich bored housewives. I usually slow down, let them know I’m there if I’m behind, wait for a wide spot before passing, say thanks, most of the time there are no problems. Met one guy yesterday riding and talking on his mobile.

BUT there is one idiot woman I meet who starts flapping and yelling demanding that I stop and hide in the hedge. The horse seems pretty steady, if anything is going to spook it its the antics of the rider, but seeing as its a lot bigger than me I usually get out of its way. And I don’t trust the rider not to do something silly. You can’t control a horse the way you can a car, but if it’s that bad it shouldn’t be out.

Interesting about horses thinking they are being stalked if they hear a sudden noise behind. I went through a period where every horse I ran across seemed to get spooked, after a bit the penny dropped, it was the bright yellow jersey with black hoops – nature’s warning colours they must have thought it was a giant wasp coming after them. Was tempted to complete the ensemble with a pair of gauzy wings, a set of antennae and a piece of card in the spokes, but that would have been too cruel.

Jamie
    Free Member

I just nail it past them due to all the shit i have been given in the past when attempting to be courteous. So now **** ’em.

clareymorris

So basically according to STW………
    Horses shouldn’t be allowed where mountain bikes go.
    Dogs shouldn’t be allowed where mountain bikes go
    Walkers shouldn’t be allowed where mountain bikes go
    Cars……..
    Road bikes…….

I tell you what, sometimes I’m ashamed to be a mountain biker when I read some of your posts. What on earth happened to tolerance?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clareymorris

That’s me being tolerant, bad week, but honestly guys………..grow up.

devs
    Free Member

Women shouldn’t be allowed where mountain bikes go 1 week out of 4.
    <boyish snigger>

MrNutt
    Free Member

dive! dive! dive!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Women shouldn’t be allowed where mountain bikes go 1 week out of 4.

And, obviously, some children shouldn’t be allowed to use tinternet without their parents being present.. 🙄

JB
    Free Member

I’ve spent a fair amount of time around horses to find that its usually the rider that’s the incompetent member of the team!!! Let the HORSE know you’re coming from a good distance (I start to whistle), if it flicks its ears back then its probably heard you and will be looking out for you… then its just about a respectful distance and all will be cool… probably despite the rider! Horses are intelligent, gentle beasts they just dont like surprises!!!

No need to apologize to those competent horsemen/women out there… they’ll know who/what I mean!

devs
    Free Member

Blimey! For someone with the audacity to call themselves Rudeboy you don’t half get upset easily. That’s the 2nd time in the few threads I’ve managed this evening. Which East End Council estate did you do your apprenticeship at? You may have noticed that we had already been told to “grow up” by a lady who admitted it was “bad week”. I thought it was only fair to play the part

PikeBN14
    Free Member

I DO give way to horses, but logically why should I?

I can control my bike without it suddenly raising the front wheel and shooting of in some random direction, or spinning round and round in circles!

Why shouldn’t the horse rider go hide it’s uncontolable 1/2 ton of muscle somewhere while I continue on in a contolled fashion?

For those that haven’t read all the way through this post, I ride my bike with my GF and her horse every weekend, nothing against horses, but I really do think that logic says the one with the uncontrollable beast should have some responsibility here?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Which East End Council estate did you do your apprenticeship at?

Several. Some worserer than others…

Devs; I don’t particularly get ‘upset’, I just find puerile, insensitive comments a bit tiresome. Granted, I do wind people up a bit, but I never intend any malice, and do try to be a bit sensitive. And I’d certainly not make insulting or abusive comments to others, especially those I don’t know. I try to abide by the ‘don’t say owt on here that you wouldn’t to someone’s face’. There’s a bit of ‘banter’, and then there’s just being thoughtless. A fine line, I admit. and yes, I’ve found some of the negative comments on here a bit stupid, really.

Spose that might sound a bit hypocritical. Not meant to be.

But getting upset? I doubt anyone on here could say owt worse than what’s been said to me in real life!

And that’s just me mates.. 😯 😆

FTR, I think Clarey has a very good point. And I fail to see why her (or any woman’s)femininity should be used as an excuse to get a cheap laugh.

But I’m sure you didn’t mean owt nasty by it.

All friends?

clareymorris

Of course, the only reason I would have a bad week is hormones…………..

Del

‘get upset’?
    no, never.
    😀

devs
    Free Member

Rudeboy said this:

Devs; I don’t particularly get ‘upset’, I just find puerile, insensitive comments a bit tiresome.

Not too long after saying this:

I think I’d want to stop short of stoving her head in with a claw hammer, and then dismembering her before burying the bits in different counties

and this:

Was there any need for that? Granted, I’m having a little laugh with you, which I’m sure you understood, but is there any need to insult a member of my family?

It’s a little confusing seeing as you are appearing to contradict yourself at every turn. Are you bipolar?

Mark

The tone of this thread is deteriorating and that’s going to end up with us handing out some supensions. That’s a shame as we’ve only suspended one person so far on this new forum as on the whole people have shown a reasonable element of respect to other users. If we think you over step the mark we’ll take action. Please think about how your posts will be received before you post.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

devs: Some fair points. I agree, the ‘claw hammer’ thing was way ott. And perhaps I went a little too far with my initial comment towards ski. It was meant to be a joke, but perhaps a tad misguided. I don’t think it warranted the response, however.

I accept I can appear hypocritical. And I think I should take people’s comments on board. As for being bipolar, that is a pretty serious mental condition, one I’m thankful I don’t suffer from, but perhaps a milder form (whatever the label is), yes, possibly. I certainly think some of the things I post are a bit off key, when reflecting on them later. Not an excuse, but just an attempt to explain myself a bit. We none of us are perfect.

Anyway, like I said, I do try not to be deliberately nasty, and I’d much rather get on with folk. I will speak out if I think someone is out of order, mind. I think anyone would.

I’d like to leave it there. I don’t have any issue with anyone on here. Life’s too short for all that!

Back to the op: Horses are nice, and we should all be a bit more tolerant and patient with each other.

🙂

devs
    Free Member

Peace, love and hugs. We don’t see many horses. There was a white pony thing on Rushup Edge last time I was there. It tried to eat my t-shirt. Fortunately it hadn’t reckoned on my horse whisperer skillz and after a polite word in its ear it let go.

zokes
    Free Member

I see it’s not taken long for paddedfred’s toys to leave the pram then….

Strangely, I never seem to meet horses where I ride in Wales, but on the odd occasion I have, we always seem to have got on well. Except for one occasion, where I was on a footpath, and got shouted at by a horserider (also on the footpath) that I shouldn’t be there. I was so bemused by this that my usual ability to argue black is white temporarily vacated me!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

For me a cheery helo – can we get past seems to work. I stop if its narrow or needed. Bells spook horses I 🙂

Never had an issue

grumm
    Free Member

Clareymorris – most people are not suggesting that horses shouldn’t be allowed where mountain bikers go, just that their owners should have them under some kind of reasonable control and they shouldn’t be snooty and unpleasant.

Hardly that much to ask is it?

I must say horse riders are the group I have had the worst attitude off out of any trail users. They also do the most damage in terms of erosion, which strangely gets overlooked by those who whine about biking.

ski
    Free Member

RudeBoy – no offence taken here, my reply was only meant as a joke, sorry if you took it the wrong way, that was not my intention.

Ditto comments about horse riders tending to be the rudest trail users.

If horses get spooked or the rider can’t control the horse in the presence of other trail users they should stick to riding them in places where they don’t put the horse, themselves and other trail users at risk.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I don’t think Horse riders out rude the red socks, imho the rudest of all user groups.

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh and sorry if I caused offense, twas only meant in jest 🙂

Del

anyway, i think we get off lightly:
    nyt

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Overtaking Horses’ is closed to new replies.