Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Overstayed 17 minutes at car park. Got PCN ticket.
  • popstar
    Free Member

Recently went to Brighton on a trip and parked at marina carpark next to McD’s for quick lunch.

Today recieved parking charge notice with photo evidence of staying for 107 minutes instead 90.

Thought its a bit mean on their side not to consider big families eating out (I know I shouldn’t eat super foods).

Do I pay up and take punishment from gods or just ignore PCN ticket?
    It’s private owned land managed by some kind gangsta company.

mrmoofo

ignore it – and use the Asda carpark next time.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IGNORE

MartynS

Just Ignore it and all the paper work you will get…. don’t throw it out though.

Go have a look on pepipoo for advice/reassurance.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Who issued the ticket – the council/police or someone else? If it’s either of the former, don’t ignore it

globalti
    Free Member

If it was private land, ignore it and the increasingly threatening letters that will arrive. These people are bullies nd fraudsters and you have a duty to resist their coercion.

You’ll probably notice that all the letters from scary-sounding debt collectors and “bailiffs” will have the same crappy computer-generated signature. When they start reducing the “fine” in an attempt to persuade you to settle early you’ll know they are losing hope.

theotherjonv

If its council owned then the pcn is enforecable, if its a private firm then you can probably ignore it. But a couple of questions; nearly 2 hours for a MCD lunch – how much do your kids eat!! And could you not have kept count and fed the metre?

MartynS

who was the company that issued it by the way??

popstar
    Free Member

My pregnant wife insisted on few meals of McD (she hated this stuff before), while little son (2years) obviously had to shait himself at the end of course. It was a bit hectic to clean him up but guess typical parenting.
    Ticket came in the post, it didn’t look at all like council or police etc but was very well dressed up to look like one.

breadcrumb

End of the day you were 17 minutes over. It’s not like they have taken advantage IMO.

Cougar

Sure, I imagine the loss they incurred easily justifies a £5/minute invoice.

piemonster

Any minute now someone will compare it to parking on someone’s driveway.

Junkyard
    Free Member

End of the day you were 17 minutes over. It’s not like they have taken advantage IMO.

Of course they have not they have a legitimate business model whereby they charge for land they dont own [in breach of HMRC rules] and why they are so keen to take folk to court to enforce their reasonable terms [ about 50 pout of 3/4 million last year] when folk dont pay.
    Troll surely

Kevevs
    Free Member

use your own discretion. I think you can make up your own mind.

piemonster

From another forum, caution required.

According to the BPA figures, and we know they never lie, there were 1.8 million private tickets issued in 2011, of which approx. 31% went unpaid, so that’s about 550,000.

As only 845 resulted in court claims, and only 49 of those actually reached court, you don’t have to be Rachel Riley to work out the odds of anything happening if you ignore them.

Not seen out for last year as yet.

costello
    Free Member

nice one piemaster,my thoughts exactly!! :D,if you have a look at my posts a couple of weeks back you will see similar tales of woe including my own,i decided to ignore anything they sent….a month on and nothing has arrived in the post,although my militant stance has not wained in the slightest i know i can rest easy because just last thurs in the local paper there was an article about the outrage amongst regular car park users who had been caught out in bromsgrove by ukpc,upshot was landowners(sainsburys) stepped in and ordered all tickets to be written off/refunded by ukpc,with new regs allowing users to leave the carpark as well(which was where we were done)
    so power to the people..but originally i did extensive research including the new laws which came in october and i decided to ignore all demands and if i ever got a summons to court i would offer to pay a proportion which was fair not the £100.00 they demanded.

popstar
    Free Member

Will surely ignore their demands of £100. Crooks.

stufield
    Free Member

So does this mean if I drive into any private pay and display car park and don’t bother I can just drive off at the end of the day and rip up any ticket i get???

MartynS

Well… they are taking advantage.
    Its a free carpark, the losses incured by this slight overstay are £0

Its actually a very interesting subject (really) but lets not misunderstand here its an unenforcable charge…

breadcrumb

£100 is fairly steep.

We have a disc zone in town, you get one hour, if you go over and he parking attendant notices you get a ticket. Whether its 5mins or half an hour. Overstaying is overstaying.

EDIT. I didn’t realise it was a free (for 90 minutes) car park. My point still stands though.

piemonster

Staying for the whole day is quite different to being a customer and staying 17min

Junkyard
    Free Member

So does this mean if I drive into any private pay and display car park and don’t bother I can just drive off at the end of the day and rip up any ticket i get???

I would assume oif you do it serially and every day they will take you to court

Let us know what happens 😉

piemonster

Breadcrumb, what’s the charge in your case?

MartynS

technically yes you can. All you can be chased for is actual losses incured. So if it was £6 for all day they could only ask for the £6 and possibly a reasonable admin fee.

Kevevs
    Free Member

terrible terrible not followed rules terrible terrible, I take it as a given you were taking up parking spaces not allowed to you? you are a terrible person. you can question all these fines and tell em to **** right off.

breadcrumb

piemonster – Member
    Breadcrumb, what’s the charge in your case?

I think it’s £40 if paid within x days rising to £80. More reasonable. I’m not arguing that £100 is too much, but that if you go over on free parking it can result in a fine.

piemonster

Even if you are a customer?

breadcrumb

This is on street parking, council ran wardens.

redthunder
    Free Member

IGNORE.

Just a bunch of Charlatans.

Only Councils and the Police can issue a fine.

martymac

so if its a free car park, but you are only ‘allowed’ to stay for 90 minutes, effectively they are saying they dont want you to spend anymore than 90 minutes in the shop(s)?
    id vote with my wallet and shop elsewhere tbh.

globalti
    Free Member

Have you still got the receipt for the udder and nostril burgers? If you have, send them back to the parking company or better, Mc Donalds and point out that you were actually a customer not somebody who just parked and naffed off. Point out that your pregnant wife was so upset by their fake ticket that you are billing them for compensation of £1000. That ought to wake them up a little.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ive done the same thing. If it managed by a private company the ticket is not a fine, it’s a charge for excess parking and exorbitant. The letters are scary to frighten the weak into paying. There is a tiny probability they wIll ask you to go to court for not paying the charge in which case go and pay. This will in no way affects your credit rating or give you a record of any kind.

The reality is you will not be asked to go to court as they cannot afford it. Simply ignore the letters and they will stop.

If it was issued as a fine by the council or police , pay immediately.

popstar
    Free Member

Came back from work. Checked PCN, and its MET parking services ltd company who runs private land of McD brighton marina. On back page they offer appeal process and state law has changed from 1st October 2012 etc and if an appeal had failed with them they would refer case to independent appeal service (POPLA)*.

Guess it sounds like marketing BS talk?

Thank you for links and advice, its greatly appreciated.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Overstayed 17 minutes at car park. Got PCN ticket.’ is closed to new replies.