Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • overpaid by previous employer
  • jag61

just had a letter asking for repayment of £xxx.yy based on an ‘unfortunate payroll input error’. they have kindly offered arrangements to repay in installments even tho Internal auditors recommend lump sum!
    Any how these feckers took 2 weeks pay off me in Jan as I could not get a ‘fit note’ from docs (2 weeks until appointment!) doc backdated note to cover the time. SO can they force the issue? I have no intention of paying up unless i really have to. Left under bad terms but still need the occasional reference. any thoughts please?

scaled
    Free Member

registered post?

If not, what letter, Guv?

Drac

Yup they can, it’s not your money. Also I’m pretty sure what the Dr did isn’t legal either.

edlong
    Free Member

To an extent it depends on the amount, and whether it would be reasonable for you to have noticed – if they’ve overpaid you by £20 when you normally get hundreds / thousands in your net pay, it’s not reasonable that you would know and they can whistle for it. If, however, they’ve added an extra zero and you got 10x what you should have, you should have noticed and need to pay it back.

IANAL

jambalaya
    Free Member

If they have overpaid you vs you r contractual terms they can take you to court for the money back.

Have you double checked their figures ?

I would be tempted to argue the point about January. Ultimately if they send you a letter threatening court action you should pay up. By that stage I imagine they will have withdrawn the offer of payment by stages. If you do repay make sure the tax situation is sorted out so you don’t overpay.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Offer them a fiver a week.

mudshark
    Free Member

Try to reach a compromise agreement saying will struggle to find the money and bring in the Jan thing as partly the reason.

bonchance
    Free Member

When you hear from them a 2nd time: Write- State that your own records do not show an error (dispute). State you write in good faith, however, for you to enter into further correspondence they must confirm the specific nature of the error they have made and supply documentary evidence of the alleged debt. This must document the adjustments. Relevant tax treatment or deductions will be considered on a net basis only as this tax has already been paid. To consider the matter further you require these to be submitted within 28 days. Each item of correspondence over or above this confirmation will be subject to your admin charge of 25quid to cover your materials and time concerned.

If it’s <1k you will not hear from them again I bet.

I do know someone this happened to – the big co. really struggled to provide documentary evidence of the adjustments and it was >10k. He did pay (over time) cos he was a good egg, however they could not have taken it further.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘overpaid by previous employer’ is closed to new replies.