Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • overnight trip to Calais….what to do?
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

Taking the wife over to France for an over nighter involving buying some wine on the way back, but just wondering if anyone has any ideas on where to drive to/stay for a nice trip and see a nice part of the area?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

see a nice part of the area?

That’s NOT Calais then!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

cancel?

Mackem

Just use the Formule1 in Coquelles. It’s cheap, next to a couple of wine warehouse type places. The Bleriot bar further along (in the shopping centre) looks nowty but does great food and beer (if you like moules, leffe and steak). The village is pretty dead but pretty and near the coast. The “hotel” costs about 30 euros for the night and has a bed. Only about 10 minutes from the eurotunnel.

Pigface
    Free Member

Great aquarium down the coast in Boulogne but may be to far for you.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Head around the coast to Wimereux. The Hotel Atlantic is nice, and really good food.
    Went there for my wife’s 21st many years ago, and also for her mum’s 60th.

Area around there is suprisingly similar to the South Downs.

Also, for booze, find a smaller independant shop out of Calais. Much friendlier on the whole, chance for wine-tasting etc. Sadly the one I would recomend closed a few years ago.

Sidney
    Free Member

Though I’ve not been I’ve been highly recommended Le Touquet which is not far from Calais. Could be worth a shout.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Thanks chaps I know Le T well and belle dune further on, which are very nice spots. Thought I’d try and go somewhere I hadn’t been before, but Le T will probably do fine.

JulianA
    Free Member

Bit late maybe, but Le Clé d’Opale in Calais is a great place to stay and La Buissonnerie is a great restaurant… We’ll be going back to both next time we’re there.

Edukator
    Free Member

Go to a club.

Edit: maybe NSFW and NSFW

officialtob
    Free Member

Drive 30 mins down the coast to Boulogne. Lovely town, lots of nice bars and restaurants, and the Old Town is stunning IMO.

Hotels wise, there are two Ibis hotels, both equally decent and with parking.

MrFart
    Free Member

On a side note avoid Formula 1s – sadly I know from experience both the F1s in Nantes and Rennes are infested with bedbugs…

atlaz
    Free Member

If you don’t mind a slight drive, go to Belgium. There’s a lovely restaurant in Watouplein called t’Hommelhof where most dishes are cooked with beer. There is also a fantastic beer seller in Poperinge with hundreds of different types. Otherwise Boulogne or Le Touquet. There’s just no reason for Calais. Even the French don’t want to hang out there.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Well thanks all, you’ve been absolutely no help whatsoever! 😉 we’re now going here which I’m hoping is a combination of authentic France but pretty accessible.here

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘overnight trip to Calais….what to do?’ is closed to new replies.