Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Overnight oats?
  • 13thfloormonk

I’ve tried searching but most results come up as god-awful Zoe-ella style sites that you have to click through a million adverts on etc etc.

Fancy an alternative to massive nose bags of muesli every morning, can I just stir a cup full of muesli through a couple of big spoonfuls of Skyrr yoghurt and let sit overnight? Maybe garnish with some stewed prunes the next morning?

Seems like porridge for the terminally lazy, I like!

lunge

That’s pretty much what I do. Soak in Greek yoghurt over night, in a small pot with some fruit. And that’s it. Add a squirt of honey if you so desire.

You can also soak them in a mix of yoghurt and espresso. That too works well, add sugar or cinnamon to taste.

CaptJon
    Free Member

yes

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Yes. You can. Just do that, it’ll be fine. I’m guessing you need more like at least a 1:1 ratio of oats to yog though.

I do overnight oats with milk and water for my porridge in the morning – then cook it as usual. Makes it extra unctuous.

Esme
    Free Member

Lakeland even sell a special Overnight Oats Mug – handy for commuters, I suppose.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I wonder what your search history is… From Google 1st page.
    Apparently a jar must be used.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Mk sister makes incredible overnight oats. Jumbo oats, raisins and nuts then grate in apples according to how much oats you’ve got. Add either apple or orange juice and leave in the fridge overnight.
    Serve with your favourite yoghurt. Delish!

swdan
    Free Member

I pour apple juice over some oats, chuck some frozen summers fruit mix on top and top up with yoghurt.leave it in the fridge overnight and ready to do by the morning

km79
    Free Member

This looks like some hipster bullshit. I’m sticking with porridge.

PePPeR

We make it with 35g of oats, a Muller lite yoghurt and top up the jar with frozen fruit which you can buy in bags in all the supermarkets, Lidl is the best tasting, Iceland fruit is the best for the diet.

We use standard small Kilner jars, have loads around as I’m not a fan of plastic storage stuff.

spawnofyorkshire

My preferred recipe is 1:1 oats and water, a few squares of white chocolate from cheap supermarket bars, a handful of nuts and giant raisins. Don’t forget a pinch of salt
    Soak overnight then microwave for a minute or two and stir to mix in the melted chocolate

Edit: prunes work really well in overnight oats if you allow enough water for them to soak and swell a bit

batfink
    Free Member

google “bircher muesli”… this is what you are looking for.

Rolled oats, yogurt, apple juice and loads of dried fruit/nuts. We make a big tub and it lasts all week.

BoardinBob

This looks like some hipster bullshit. I’m sticking with porridge.

It’s basically just cold porridge. But you make it beforehand and stick it in the fridge overnight. and you can stick other stuff in, which you can do with porridge too.

BoardinBob

We use standard small Kilner jars

Leftover Doritos* salsa jars are perfect

(*other brands are available)

stumpy01

My Wife does it now and again.
    We use frozen red berries (nice and cheap) as they defrost overnight in the porridge anyway…

I stick a squidge of honey on before eating…

13thfloormonk

I wonder what your search history is… From Google 1st page.
    Apparently a jar must be used.

OK, guilty as charged, I have an aversion to watching videos (never have my headphones handy in the office) and also basically just thought **** it, what would STW do?

First experiments are encouraging – Tesco ‘super berry’ granola, milk, greek yoghurt and prunes.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Overnight oats? I hope you have a porridge drawer in your kitchen dresser…

ferrals
    Free Member

Whats wrong with porridge? Either soak overnight or just for 10 mins before cooking. The key to really good porridge (IMO) is a) a half milk half water mix and b) when almost ready, take off heat, put lid on and allow to stew for a couple of minutes.

TiRed

Bircher porridge is OK, I use a 1:1 natural yoghurt to oats mix. I also only use quakers as I’ve found them to produce the best consistency. As for hot porridge. Oats, water, milk in a unit ratio and microwaved for 2:45 on 900 watts. Simples.

poolman
    Free Member

I can’t believe anyone buys muesli make it yourself and make it really healthy. Dates, dried fruits, nuts, maybe dedicated coconut if you have a sweet tooth. Jumbo oats are the key or it will be like dust. Gets expensive so I buy in bulk and make up a kilo at a time, I also snack on it in the day as it’s only flapjack without the baking, and added sugar.

Cougar

Yeah, you want to avoid the coconut whose heart just isn’t in it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yeah, you want to avoid the coconut whose heart just isn’t in it.

😀

benp1

I find normal muesli and porridge to taste quite different to bircher muesli

I have porridge most days at the moment. A bit of bircher for a change on weekends sometimes, it’s a Tesco bought ‘bircher muesli’ mix. It’s actually really quite nice and is a blend of things

I found the time I did tried to ‘bircher’ normal muesli or normal oats that the consistency wasn’t as good

Maybe it’s psychological, but I definitely prefer the bircher muesli mix to a ‘bircher’d standard muesli

This is the ingredient list from the Tesco one – Oat Flakes (55%), Barley Flakes (17%), Seeds (8%) (Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seed), Oat Bran, Spelt (5%), Dried Fruit (4%) (Sultanas, Raisins), Buckwheat, Quinoa, Sunflower Oil

(My standard muesli is the Aldi specially selected nutty one)

scotroutes

I can’t believe folk buy oats. Just grow your own. Of course it’s a bit of a pain harvesting them fresh each morning and then having to mill them so do a couple of days worth so you only have to get up around 3am for breakfast every couple of days.

Cougar

I can’t believe people are milling their own oats. Why not tell the manservant to do it?

spawnofyorkshire

I can’t believe people are milling their own oats. Why not tell the manservant to do it?

They keep dying from the plague

Unreliable buggers

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Flannahans rolled oats, 1/2 pint of full fat milk, microwave 4 mins stir eat then **** off.

Xylene
    Free Member

This has nothing to do with sex then? Right off to get a jamjar

DrJ

Home made muesli is lots nicer than shop bought but I keep adding extra goodies so it ends up expensive :-(. One good tip – grated lemon zest.

cheese@4p

My tip is chia seeds

prawny

I’ve just eaten half a pack of chocolate hobnobs, what should I soak them in?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Home rolled oats for that je ne sais quoi.

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve just eaten half a pack of chocolate hobnobs, what should I soak them in?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

That coaster looks a bit artisan … careful you’ll get your name put on the list

And

Oats … its either Quaker or Tescos budget for me… all the posh ones leave me hungry 90mins later just like a normal bowl of cereal would… anyone else find this ??

prawny

I finished the hobnobs. Feeling a bit sick now.

How could they do this to me????!!!!!!

mogrim

I make this occasionally, I’d make it more often but I need to remember to get all the ingredients before starting and that doesn’t happen often 🙂

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/oct/23/how-to-make-perfect-bircher-muesli-recipe

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Overnight oats?’ is closed to new replies.