• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Basil.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Overnight camping bike security
  • aP
    Free Member

We’ll be doing some lightweight overnight cycling over the next few months. Being a regular London cyclist we usually carry a couple of Abus D-locks for trips to shops etc. I don’t want to carry nearly the same weight again as my camping stuff – so…
    Any recommendations for lightweight, but useful bike locks for lightweight touring stops please?

cannondaleking
    Free Member

I use a krytonite d lock and cable and keep it in my pannier. Better to be safe than having a long walk to a train station.

scotroutes

Mostly, I don’t bother. However that’s because I usually wild camp and choose sites where I’m unlikely to be ddisturbed. A lightweight cable lock might be useful if you are in a camp site, just enough to deter any casual passer-by. I’ve heard folk say they attach a small guyline to the bike and feed it into the tent.

duntstick
    Free Member

My security, no-one would nick a bike with bars like this

cultsdave
    Free Member

You get small motion alarms which you could stick on your bike. If the bike moves the alarm will go off and if your in a tent it will easily wake you.

aP
    Free Member

LOL@ duntstick…
    I might look at getting a reasonable, but not too meaty cable lock, and hope that other people’s bikes are more eyecatching.

whitestone
    Free Member

Where are you planning on touring? The further you get from the big urban centres the safer things tend to be (there are exceptions obviously), somewhere like the Highlands or NW of Scotland or the islands and you would be really really unlucky if anyone even touched your bike.

If you are camping away from the road then you are likely to be OK – thieves will go for the low hanging fruit as it were

lemonysam
    Free Member

I rig my tent so that if someone moves the bike, the tent collapses. I realise I won’t be able to get out of the tent quickly enough to stop them but I’m hoping that they’ll be so creased up with laughter at the sight that they forget all about the bike.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lightweight visual deterrent is the best as its generally to just nip into the shops. I use one form the pound shop

A proper lock is not worth the weight penalty IMHO

STATO
    Free Member

Bikepacking; Lightweight retractable cable lock for outside shops. At campsite lie bike over sleeping bag and tie tarp ove both While at pub. In the wilds, nowt.

Touring; dlock and cable. For me touring means probably already carrying way more stuff on a trip where i might visit cities, towns or bigger camp sites.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Green twine from bike to toe.

batteryhorsestaple
    Free Member

If it’s ‘wild’ camping then I use a lightweight cable lock for deterrent – doesn’t matter which one because none of them are good for serious security. Go for the lightest/cheapest/prettiest. Then I use the bike as an anchor point instead of one of the pegs, and make sure you it’ll wake you up if someone tries to move it.

If it’s at/near trail centre or real campsite then take your big D-lock and motion alarm, and attack dog, etc.

batteryhorsestaple
    Free Member

I also have one of these, which I like (but only works with non-removable seatclamp obvs.

aP
    Free Member

Thanks all. We’re intending to do some lightweight touring – I’ll be carrying a Camper Longflap and a small barbag, and herself an Arkel Tailrider and a 10l minisac.

aP
    Free Member

2xpost

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’m not convinced by “attaching bike to guy lines” or alarms.

By the time I was out my sleeping bag and tarp/tent whatever they’d be long gone.

Spit on the saddle.

mau00149
    Free Member

Rape alarm with some fishing line tied to the pull out pin. Other end tied to the bike. Bike moves alarm goes off. Or put the alarm on the bike with line tied off to something solid. Alarm would then be with the bike for immediate term tracking (until they figured out what was going on)…cheap and simple deterrent which may stop them in there tracks due to the noise. ..

simon_g

Cheap alarmed padlock/disclock through the chainring. Loud noise if moved, and any thief can’t ride away with it either.

Eg. http://m.rapidonline.com/ProductSearch/ProductDetails?ProductCode=43-3156&ModuleCode=124946

deadkenny
    Free Member

Sleep with the bike 😀

Esme
    Free Member
    Basil

Gone round and round this when touring.
    Peace of mind for me (& my insurance cover) is Abus Granite X plus 54.
    For me to relax when away from bike is for me to know it will be there when I return or if not I can make claim on my insurance, yep the weight penalty is huge.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Overnight camping bike security’ is closed to new replies.