• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • overheard at the dentist (bike related)
  • rOcKeTdOg

my dentist was chatting to his assistant whilst he had his hands in my mouth and remarked he'd recently bought a motorbike and how much fun it was weaving in and out of traffic and how faster progress was compared to a car and the assistant remarked how convienient it was at traffic lights to have a lane and area just ahead of the car stop line specifically for bikes and he remarked that yes it was and he used them often, i was under the impression they were for bicycles only, or am i wrong?

pinches
    Free Member

well, normally they have a 4ft bicycle painted in the green box, so you would assume cyclists only!

dmiller
    Free Member

bicycles only

Yip – the advanced stop line (ASL) is for cycles only.

I don't mind sharing with motorcycles tho – I see them as a weaker version of a cyclist that needs a engine. One day they will learn the joy of cycling and join us… In all seriousness they suffer a lot of the problems we do with drivers and if it makes them safer and doesn't do any harm to me I don't see the hassle.

David.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bicycles only and some places are starting to legally enforce ASLs (Advanced stop lines)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes, bicycles only.
    But If you're on a motorbike, you ALWAYS filter to the front of the queue and sit in front of the white line anyway, box or not….

bigyinn
    Free Member

Since when did the rules of the road apply to anyone with a motorbike?

ski
    Free Member

bicycles or helicopter landing pads I thought?

rOcKeTdOg

i thought as much, i'd have argued the point, but have you seen the price of non NHS dentisits? 😯

epicsteve
    Free Member

But If you're on a motorbike, you ALWAYS filter to the front of the queue and sit in front of the white line anyway, box or not….

I don't. I'll filter to the front but not cross the white line or use an ASL.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yup, push bikes only, but as someone said, theyr almost as vunerable as us and probably have a stonger advocacy voice, so if they campaigned for ASL's everywhere they'd get them, which would be a good thing.

oldgit
    Free Member

I'd give up. Here in Leighton Buzzard they haven't got a clue the poor old pointy headed inbreds.
    You'll get hooted at if you stop in one.
    Box junctions? I think they see them as some sort of crop circle for roads.
    However, those stop and give way to oncoming traffic island things (dunno what they're called) apparently do not apply to cyclists. No they don't you see, so if your in a car you don't need to stop for a bunch of oncoming cyclists. Yes that's a fact you can run oncoming cyclists off the road, yes yes then you can wind your window down and loudly shout out that they don't apply to cyclists. I bet you lot didn't know that did you.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Since when did the rules of the road apply to anyone with a motorbike?

Since just after the bicycle was invented. I break more rules cycling than on a motorbike. (Only because a motorbike has a numberplate and I can be traced, mind)

I don't. I'll filter to the front but not cross the white line or use an ASL.

That's just a weakness, you'll get over it in time. 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

I have used them on my motorbike in the past but tend to filter and stay level with the traffic. only problem is then i've had a few cyclists who cant get past me into the box so its a bit of what ever seems best at the time

Olly
    Free Member

technically bicycles only, but tbh, i never use them, as they are usualy full of porsche cayenne or rangerover or woman on phone in big estate.
    if i was in one, and a bike came and pulled up next to me, i cant think of grounds for complaining. he's there for the same reasons as me, to avoid being caught up in a mele of steel boxes who dont pay attention to thier peripherals.
    if its not causing me any hastle, live and let live.
    though you could have pointed out to your dentist that he needs to re read his highway code.

epicsteve
    Free Member

That's just a weakness, you'll get over it in time.

It's not weakness – it's a sign of my advantage. On my motorbike I'm faster off the line than anything else anyway, so I've no need for the ASL.

ASL's seem to be almost completely ignored by everyone though – I've seen police cars stop in them plenty of times.

juan
    Free Member

On my motorbike I'm faster off the line than anything else anyway, so I've no need for the ASL.

So you'll overtake the first car while crossing the junction…
    One word: smartass 😀

epicsteve
    Free Member

So you'll overtake the first car while crossing the junction…

Only if he was in the ASL, as otherwise I'd have been alongside him and probably already yards ahead before his foot had left the clutch.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It's not weakness – it's a sign of my advantage. On my motorbike I'm faster off the line than anything else anyway, so I've no need for the ASL.

Oh FFS lighten up a bit! 😀

EDIT
    FWIW, you're safer, and more visible in front of them. I don't always go over the line really, but usually I pull far foreward enough to look back and check the drivers either side of me have seen me.
    On my way home I make a right turn at some lights with a right turn filter lane. There's 2 ways to make this turn on a motorbike: Sit in the queue with everyone else (No room to the right) which defeats the object of riding a bike and is simply not gonna happen.
    Or slip up the outside of the straight on lane, and park yourself at the front of the queue, just over the line. If you do this and sit behind the line, you're still in the straight on lane, which is busy, and you're gonna cause havoc and get punted off.

ski
    Free Member

I have a hot looking dentist, I keep going back for work I don't need doing.

😉

juan
    Free Member

the comment on the link from stoner are hilarous

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘overheard at the dentist (bike related)’ is closed to new replies.