Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Overheard at FOD today
  • randomjeremy
    Free Member

“We prefer the Forest of Dean trails to South Wales, it’s far too rocky there” – from someone on a few thousand quid worth of fully suspended loveliness 🙂

Are the South Wales trails considered rocky?

hugor
    Free Member

I live in South Wales and love rocky trails.
    I’m not a fan of these smooth wide bmx style trails like FOD but each to their own.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Haha, not suprising really. Alot of mountain bike riders tend to be **** useless these days.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Here’s a thought, maybe they prefer smoother trails. They might even enjoy them more.

Spin
    Free Member

Here’s a thought, maybe they prefer smoother trails. They might even enjoy them more.

Nah. Some people are just crap.

brooess
    Free Member

the flow of smooth trails can be more satisfying sometimes.
    Personally I like a mix, the smooth, flowing trails can feel too easy after a while, rocky tech keeps you focussed and helps stop you getting complacent.
    Ullswater lakeside path is an example of a rocky path that frankly can feel like a bit of a beasting after spending most of the year in the Surrey Hills. But it shakes me up and makes me think about technique.

And to the OP, you may well get flamed for apparent snobbery but personally I think flowy trails are more fun on a hardtail. A full suss will be used more to its full potential on rock and tech, so kind of wasted if you only use it for smooth trails IMO

mrlebowski
    Free Member

LOL at the singletrack riding gods!!

Get over yourselves boys,are you really all that??

coffeeking
    Free Member

Welsh trails are, IME, quite rocky. I love it, nothing better than a rocky technical trail – most trail centres are a bit soft on that front, but they’re fun for high speed flow.

singlespeedstu

Was it Tollah? 😆

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Here’s a thought, maybe they prefer smoother trails.

Then why buy an all singining all dancing full susser? A rigid/hardtail would be much faster on a smooth trail.
    How many full suss BMX’s do you see? 🙂

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Hang on I wasn’t commenting either way, I’m certainly not a bike snob, apologies if it came across that way.

Spin
    Free Member

If people want to spend their money on flash rigs for smooth trails then that is entirely their business and noone can say it is right or wrong.

However, they also need to understand that this behaviour makes them ‘fair game’ for a right slagging.

That’s the rules.

tazzymtb

understand that this behaviour makes them ‘fair game’ for a right slagging.

That’s the rules.

that’s total bollox, just let people enjoy their riding rather than acting like a tit.

hugor
    Free Member

If you’re good at big air time, manuals and generally all the skills you see at 4X races you probably like these places.
    I’m crap at those skills but like picking ridable lines through steep rocky puzzles. Thats what I get off on.
    Its just personal preference and what skills you have.
    Doesn’t mean one is superior to another.
    Its just a different skillset and taste.

boxfish
    Free Member

Now I like rocky trails, and I like smoother trails, but which is best?

brooess
    Free Member

To the OP, natural S Wales e.g. Gap could be considered rocky. But personally I don’t find the trail centres that rocky.
    Lakes and Peaks are rocky. You’ll lose your fillings without some boing at some end of the bike 😉

pastcaring
    Free Member

How many full suss BMX’s do you see?

that’s total bollox, just let people enjoy their riding rather than acting like a tit.

+1

toys19
    Free Member

Another vote for this ^

Spin
    Free Member

Did you all get your sense of humour bypass on the NHS did you go private?

tazzymtb

explain how slagging someone off is humour?

it’s not exactly a cowardian level of wit now is it?

singlespeedstu

pastcaring.
    That’s almost as awsum as it is pointless. 😀

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Try riding the rock gardens on the Mega course – thats rocky!!

Everything else is garden path after that!

toys19
    Free Member

it’s not exactly a cowardian level of wit now is it?

I’m loving tazzy up today, I also agree with this ^^

cakefacesmallblock

Each to their own.

pastcaring
    Free Member

That’s almost as awsum as it is pointless

awesome check, pointless check, fun to ride check 😀

singlespeedstu

fun to ride check

That is the only thing that matters.

pastcaring
    Free Member

you’d have thought so, but on here i think people would rather slag each over off than actually ride bikes!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Then why buy an all singining all dancing full susser? A rigid/hardtail would be much faster on a smooth trail.

Perhaps because it’s fun to ride, after all,

😉

widge34
    Free Member

Get into the natural trails in the FOD and some of those can be rocky. Rode two tracks today, both were rocky in places.

thegman67

I know guys who only do GT red but then we took them to Dalbeattie they could not understand why its only a red grade

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t like rocky trails either. I’d rather ride something fast, flowy and jumpy than clatter through a load of rocks.

singlespeedstu

CaptainFlashheart

Perhaps because it’s fun to ride, after all

You’re just trying to justify your love of riding a blue trail on your all singing all dancing armchair bike. 😉
    Maybe you should take your BMX down it? Might be even more fun. 8)

whiter74
    Free Member

“We prefer the Forest of Dean trails to South Wales, it’s far too rocky there” – from someone on a few thousand quid worth of fully suspended loveliness

Are the South Wales trails considered rocky?
    ——————————————————————
    I live in the FoD, so assume the person who said it thinks the Verderers is the only trail, sorry motorway in the Forest, if only they really new 😉

rp16v
    Free Member

theye wernt by anychance on a old whyte full sus with mavric usd forks?
    i had some mates go over today lol

Spin
    Free Member

It’s not humour as such. We call it banter up here. Perhaps you know it as ribbing? ‘sjust a bit of fun.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Whiter. Its knew.
    Sloppy spell checking.
    Matt

Sue_W
    Free Member

I have a rather bling full-sus … and I ride smoother rather than rocky trails … so maybe it’s someone like me that you’re dissing?

Or maybe you’d like to re-think and consider some of your assumptions?

I got my full-sus 6 years ago, when I rode the rocky trails of Snowdonia and Scotland, went downhilling in the alps, and round the best that Colorado has to offer. But 3 years ago I injured my knee in a fell running race … since then I’ve had extensive treatment, and still see the physio at the hospital once a month. So I can’t ride rocky technical trails anymore, so should I have to sell my beloved bike to avoid offending the more judgemental of you?

Oh, and I still ride more than most folks I know … and I don’t care if I’m on a smooth flowing trail on an over-spec’d bike … I just ride ‘cos Iove it 🙂

hugor
    Free Member

Keep riding Sue!!!
    I’d love to ride a rigid bike but I’ve busted my arms mountain biking many times.
    Even riding a road bike hurts on small bumps after a while.
    I use a hardtail mtb on the roads for that reason.
    Dunno why but they can handle technical mtb as long as I’m suspended.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Will do! You too hugor 🙂

angryratio
    Free Member

Are you the guy who stood being a div about everyone elses riding at the top of GT last time i was there..

He was on some uber bike spouting macho crap about trail centres..
    how he rode natural trails and had lowered himself to riding with his mates at GT that day..

Pedal on
    Nothing to see here.

alpin
    Free Member

are you really all that??

yes…. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Overheard at FOD today’ is closed to new replies.