Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Overeating – how to avoid…?
  • Kryton57

What is says really. I fall into these traps sometimes of “needing” more than the lunch I bring to work. Its costing me too much, and I’ve gained a couple of pounds since Jan 1 (I should mention I’m average build 12.25st person). Its not the obesity factor but the extra fiver a day / disappointment I get when I’ve eaten the office cakes.

I also fell into he trap of using the “I need more carbs before I ride” excuse, although I have been for many years very educated in diets sports type / healthy diets.

Any tips then, to keep to an overeating habit at bay…?

jam-bo

willpower?

organic355
    Free Member

eat less?

cynic-al
    Free Member

or self control…

samuri
    Free Member

drink water

rondo101
    Free Member

Take up smoking? I hear it’s an appetite suppressant.

dabble
    Free Member

put down the fork

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Eat more magic mushrooms.

Tebbalot
    Free Member

but seriously… I find I stay less hungry if I eat smaller meals but more frequently throughout the day

Keva
    Free Member

it’s simple. eat when hungry, stop when you’re feel full up. I’ve never seen the point in eating for sake of it, escpecially if your’e not even hungry.

…as you’ve mentioned the office cakes it sounds as though there is a boredom factor in there. You’re probably craving the sugar, cravings usually stem from boredom. Just don’t eat them, you’ll feel better for it.

Kev

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Move more.

spooky_b329

I used to graze constantly.

Last year I went on my honeymoon, ate out lots, felt quite full, and for some reason, when I got home I decided to turn over a new leaf.

At mealtimes, I will as much as I feel like.

But, I will not start going through my packed lunch at 9am. I will not stop off at a bakery on the way to my first job. I will not find an empty lunchbox at lunchtime and go and buy more crap. I make a (small) effort to vary from the usual cheese&pickle, cheese&ham sandwich fillings, cos I was eating too much of the stuff.

I will not be tempted by the reduced bacon and cheese pastries that I pass on the way home from work.

I will not get home from work and stuff my face with two rounds of sandwiches/blocks of cheese like I used to (I get home at 5pm, wife not home til 8pm at the earliest, which is when I eat. Instead, I will have a Latte (from my £20 Aeropress) which seems to stem the craving to eat.

I didn’t have a weight problem, but I must be healthier for it, and saved some cash. Think I’ve dropped from 80kg to 75kg. And the important bit…I’m not on a diet, (don’t need to be) I’m just watching what I eat.

9 months on, and surprisingly, I’ve managed to stick to it.

binners

Coke Habit? Actually… that’s not going to save you any money. Sorry. It will make the day go faster though

DrP

Know the difference between hunger (the need for food) and appetite (the desire for food).

Also, you’re in control of your arms and legs right?! – you know what you need to do (as in, if you’re gaining weight, you’re eating too much) so simply remove the temptation (no money on you/healthy carrot stick snacks) and have a coffee/water if you want ‘something in your belly’….

DrP

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

you’re in control of your arms and legs right?! … so simply remove the temptation

Seems a bit drastic.

loum
    Free Member

turn the thermostat down,
    wear fewer layers

samuri
    Free Member

Surely if you ate your arms and legs you’d only get fatter.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

So your think your still hungry then occupy your mind with something else, or carry on and become a fat static.Gosh I’m hungry 😉

…..Its pie week have a pie nom nom nom!

emsz
    Free Member

Learn to enjoy being hungry.

DrP

Or try my latest creation – amphetamine and orlistat pie……..

DrP

Jamie
    Free Member

Weirdo.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Food diary.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Chew your food for longer and give your brain a chance to receive the message that the stomach is full.

binners

If its any consolation I’m involuntarily trying to get into the Guiness book of world records for how many packets of Wheat Crunchies you can eat in a day. Its going well

Haze

I know it probably wasn’t said in jest, but I’m certainly going to start using this line a bit more 🙂

Kryton57

DrP – Member
    Know the difference between hunger (the need for food) and appetite (the desire for food).

Also, you’re in control of your arms and legs right?! – you know what you need to do (as in, if you’re gaining weight, you’re eating too much) so simply remove the temptation (no money on you/healthy carrot stick snacks) and have a coffee/water if you want ‘something in your belly’….

Hmm. Seems the best advice. I keep staying it but I’ll definately start Monday, as I’m at Customers offices for 4 days so no chance to pop out an buy snacks / eat outside of lunchtime, then I’ll follow the regime thereafter.

Its odd becuase until recently I can be quite disiplined.

brassneck

Surely if you ate your arms and legs you’d only get fatter.

My brains melting thinking about that.

On balance I think you’d be lighter after a couple of poos.

martinhutch

Don’t take money to work!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I work in an office and often find I need to snack at work. I keep bottles of brown, worcester and tomato sauce at my desk. When I need to snack I usually just tear a few bits of scrap paper into strips and eat them with a dab of whichever sauce I feel like. Costs next to nowt and is near enough calorie free. Give it a go!

BigJohn

One of the effects of the iDave way is to cut down cravings.

It has been suggested by some academics that low blood sugar levels cause the bit of your brain that controls willpower (especially when trying to resist sugary and fatty things) to switch off. Avoiding insulin-inducing foods prevents those blood sugar crashes.

Jamie
    Free Member

Costs next to nowt and is near enough calorie free. Give it a go!

Tomato sauce is full of sugar. So be careful.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yikes! Is worcester and brown sauce ok?

kudos100
    Free Member

When you feel your hand going toward your mouth, attack it with your other hand and beat it into submission. After a few rounds of this, your hand will not dare go towards your mouth without asking for permission first.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I don’t like Jamie, oh noooo, I…

Jamie
    Free Member

The only floor in that strategy is if you eat with your strongest hand.

😀

JonEdwards
    Free Member

For those people saying “stop when full”. What happens if you have no perception of feeling full? Unless I stuff myself literally to the point of being sick, I never get any signal from my body saying “enough”.

Pretty much my appetite can be described as “food available=gaggingly hungry”. “Food not available = I’ll survive”. Literally I can eat a 3 course meal, and then start quite happily on any leftovers. If I know there’s something available, then I *have* to find it and eat it *now*. My SO talks about “hunger” -v- “appetite”, but I have no idea what she means (I understand the concept, but can’t actually differentiate). Body telling brain it’s hungry = hungry. Brain telling brain it’s hungry, still = hungry.

I wonder how much of this is down to upbringing. I was never allowed to leave the table when I was small until I’d eaten everything that had been put in front of me. Sometimes (Sunday roast, which I HATED) it might take 2 or 3 hours before the plate was finally clean enough to satisfy my parents (and yes they did sit over me waiting).

Fortunately I have stupidly fast metabolism and a pretty active lifestyle, so I’ve been 10stone +/- a couple of lb for the last 15 years, but I have to be really careful not to go near anywhere selling food if I think I’m even slightly hungry, I can always “justify” the eating “because…”

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Overeating – how to avoid…?’ is closed to new replies.