Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Overclamped frame tube – anything that can be done past replace the tube?
  • mayan
    Free Member

By the way, meant to say, I feel for you, I was so f***ing gutted when I went to collect it and saw the dent that I could hAve cried……spent so long on that frame……but I’m over it and number 2 will be better!

globalti
    Free Member

That’s quite a “smooth” area of damage with no stress risers; I’d say it won’t weaken the frame. Some frames have big even dents made in the chainstays to accommodate the tyre.

Mick_r has it – you’ll soon be building a new frame. Use this to get some bits at good prices from the LBS.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Mick_r, I checked their shop and they have a vice, I asked why he didnt clamp across the BB and his response was “well I had already faced it so did want to have to do it again”. Daymn son, could have avoided this by clamping it on the only bit you should be.

They also said they had a 44mm head tube reamer on 3 separate occasions and now apparently don’t. Not overly pleased.

neilwheel
    Free Member

That’s what soft jaws, or two bits of plywood are for, sorry, I know that’s no help now.

wwaswas

gutting 🙁

andyl
    Free Member

what is the seat tube diameter? Maybe just get them to supply you with a dropper post so you can still lower the saddle without going too deep into the frame?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Oh that’s utterly pants…such a beautifully built frame too.

That said, the bike shop has held up their hand to the error and there’s an offer of FOC help from the forums – proof that this place has some absolutely brilliant folk on it.

Give Ben’s offer a go and if it’s still not right then I guess it’s a case of replacing the tube. It’s not ideal but it’s better than having to throw it in the skip and start from scratch.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

31.6 post, think ill get away with the seat post as I am massive anyway.

As ive already said, they have been really good about it so far so Im angry but not overflowing with rage. May well take ben up on the offer then make a carbon sheath to protect the area from impact in the future.

Superficial
    Free Member

Aw that’s so frustrating.

I do remember thinking that the frame weight was on the lighter side – how thick was the tubing gauge at that point? I’m not saying it was anything other than the shop’s fault, but it’s more excusable if the tube was unusually soft/thin.

Surely the only solution you’re going to be 100% happy with is to replace the tube? Get a price for the work from a framebuilder and charge that amount to the bike shop. Whether or not you DIY it is up to you.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Superficial – 2.5kg is still heavier than a solaris, it was using the proper 853 front triangle tubes (and then pre-shaped zona rear triangle), thickest gauge that I could get in the widest diameter. Where they clamped it it was 0.5mm thick. Even with replacing the tube I wouldn’t be 100% with it as id have to re-soak it and re-frame saver, dont want to induce any more rust.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’d get them to do that to the rest of the downtube then sell the idea to the ‘top framebuilders’ as some sort of CFD/aero/stress relieved new fangled research. You will undoubtedly make £m’s. My commission is the usual 15% please.

Columbus would sue your ass 😉

stumpy01

Wow! That’s a real shame. Talk about ham-fisted!

I hope you get it resolved in a manner that you are satisfied with. They’ve made a right mess of it and didn’t even have the tool you went to them for….! Impressed with how calm you sound about it, to be honest.

mick_r

This might help – I googled “tube dent expander”

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Exhaust-Pipe-Expander-Set-3pc-Sealey-VS1668?gclid=CjwKEAjw0ueeBRCmhozc-_DRrlUSJABihBEEm18sQccykSH8k5r9p55UdB381GleovadpMk2GFfP_xoCYRjw_wcB

The smallest one does tubes from 30mm bore – would maybe just need to sweat out one of the bottle bosses – and buy the worlds longest socket ratchet extension 🙂

You could also use them for holding tubes / lugs during filing on whatever you build next.

breadcrumb

I think I’d ask for a new tube-set and let Ben work his magic on the current frame.

I don’t think that’s being greedy, if it had been an off the peg frame they would of have to of replace it. Repairs only an option due to it being your first home built one IMO.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Just spoken to them and they want a local frame builder to look over it, which is fair enough, to see if they agree with keiths (from reynolds) opinion that now he wouldn’t be happy with riding it on the rough stuff.

If the builder agrees with keith then they are paying for a like-for-like frame from said builder for me. If he doesnt then I am not sure where we go from there but I imagine some form of repair at their cost would be in order.

willyboy
    Free Member

A few years ago Mercian cycles in Derby managed to squash part of my Colnago Dream top tube. It was one of the clover leaf style tubes.

I got a new frame and forks out of them. And a headset too i think.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

That’s unbelievable, how on earth??! I camnt imagine what they were thinking, squashing a thin steel frame like that??

For sure I’d be asking them to pay a pro to replace/repair the tube.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Overclamped frame tube – anything that can be done past replace the tube?’ is closed to new replies.