Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • over-soaking lentils?
  • donsimon
    Free Member

If lentils have to be soaked for about 24 hours, what, if any, is the harm in soaking them for 3-4 days?

Junkyard
    Free Member

they will probably sprout/rot – if you wanted to make a dal you might get away with it

bigyinn
    Free Member

They just to into slush dont they?

donsimon
    Free Member

They’re still hard but the water is a bit brown though. I’ll chuck them and start again.
    Unless someone wants them?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’ve never bothered for curries and dhal etc – as long as they’ve simmered for at least 45 minutes they’re fine.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you dont need to soak lentils it is there best feature as a pulse

donsimon
    Free Member

you dont need to soak lentils it is there best feature as a pulse

What? The anti-social element.

glenh
    Free Member

You will die.

Cougar

(post removed)

donsimon
    Free Member

You will die.

When?

Cougar, tut tut!

chewkw
    Free Member

Over soaking? No problem. They will simply disintegrate quicker when you boil them later that’s all. I used to soak them for a day and I think two to three days once. No problem just like eating soup that’s all.

jamiep
    Free Member

I once didnt pre-soak kidney beans, resulting in me undercooking them = coming out of both ends; bradford and bingley. But as above, lentils are nice unsoaked, cooked in curry

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

No need to soak this type of thing if you cook it in a pressure cooker. I come in from work and can have good soup done in a few minutes. Handy when you have forgotten to steep them the night before.

Junkyard
    Free Member

nbeans are dangerous as they have a poinous enzyme in them that will only be broken down by boiling cant recall the correct procedure. i just buy these tinned as it is easier.

If you just want mush/soup/humous you can use the pressue cooker way

donsimon
    Free Member

For beans, I just soak them for 24 hrs and boil for 1.5 hrs, rinsing then adding to the meal.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I never soak red lentils, they cook to (delicious) mush in 15 minutes!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘over-soaking lentils?’ is closed to new replies.