Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Over rated cuisine
  • ransos
    Free Member

"Went to Rick Steins place in Padstow a few years back (I still had a large chunk of compensation money left over after a motorbike accident) – over-rated, extremely overpriced, and one of the most uncomfortable dining experiences I've ever had"

I went there two weeks ago. Faultless food, faultless service and a comfortable, nicely designed dining room. Expensive? Hell yes, but then the best always is.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Maybe it was just me then ransos, but I ended up spunking two hundred quid on two of us, the food was ok, but I've had better, and having to pay thirtyfive quid for a bottle of Aussie white that retails for six quid in most off licenses really boils my p**s. As for feeling uncomfortable, that's probably just me being a bit of a chippie northener – I kept expecting the waiters to realise I was an imposter and kick me out.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Eating in France is a pain in the rectum. Tried getting something to eat in Montpellier a couple of years ago at about 3 in the afternoon & everywhere was shut! Seems like that everywhere in France. Spain I like, but the curry's in Goa….hang on, I'm dribbling at the thought.

spacemonkey

The gf and I used to go out fairly regularly for dinner (UK) but got fed up paying over the odds for distinctly average fair. There are definitely some good places out there, but trial and error (and even trusted word of mouth) can be expensive.

Best food I've had overseas must be Sardinia, where even the most simple dishes can be cheap, elegant and proper tasty. And the pizzas are on another planet.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Yeah, but dribbling from where essel?

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

The Brussel Sprout pizza I got in Slovakia was definitely over-rated.

ransos
    Free Member

If by "uncomfortable" you mean that some of the other diners were a bit "yah yah London yah" then I would take your point. I looked upon them as free entertainment…

I had an excellent bottle of champagne for about £45, which is good value by most restaurants' standards.

As for the food, it's a matter of opinion. I liked the simplicity and the absolute freshness of the fish.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Hi ransos – I just guess I felt a bit out of place. The night after we ate there, we stayed at the Rising sun in Lynmouth, and the food was far, far better. The chef was only a young guy, and I think he was Swedish or Danish – anyhow, really good food, about a fifth of the prices at the seafood restaurant, and much more relaxed.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Just to add to my last post, I lived in Cornwall for a couple of years, and the fish and seafood is pretty fresh wherever you go. I honestly believe that a lot of people go to Rick Stein's place just to say they've been – the locals in Padstow (or Steinstow as its more commonly known) dont much care for him, and see him as a bit of a cockmonkey to be honest.
    The fact that he owns about seven or eight businesses in the village may have something to do with this.

molgrips
    Free Member

never heard such eulogising from the experts as he got

Don't you have to be dead to be eulogised?

And +1 for the American food thing. Sometimes you just get a burger and chips, but my god it can be a burger of wonder… The availablility of decent fast food is tremendous also. 100x the choice that there is here. Sometimes here I'd kill for a Taco Bell when all there is is McDs 🙁

For top authentic Indian there's always Mint and Mustard in Cardiff. Certified authentic by my real authentic Indian colleages.

fennesz
    Free Member

Plenty of terrible food everywhere. viamichelin.com will usually point you in the right direction, but had some experinces in 1 star joints France & Spain that have been plain silly.

Anyone know who the equivalent of 3663 in France?

Plenty of indian resturants in Toulouse.

trailmonkey

or Steinstow as its more commonly known

I think you'll find that it's Padstein actually 😀

FWIW, I've travelled a fair bit around France and Spain, I'm adventurous with food and I've eaten in some pretty out of the way places but the best plate of food that I've ever had was at a small fish restaraunt on St Mary's, Isles of Scilly. The place was owned by two brothers. One ran a day boat, the other was the cook. Whatever the one brother caught during the day, was on the menu and cooked by the other brother that evening. I had a Sole toppped with the white meat of what must have been at least 2 crab, flavoured with chilli and ginger. Spring veg on the side. Washed down with a crisp Spanish white. Cheap, simple, fresh, outstanding. Anyone who thinks that you can't get good food in England really hasn't looked properly.

ransos
    Free Member

Hi Barnslemitch, I've eaten in a few other restaurants in that area, one of which had a Michelin star. I don't think any of them were as good as Stein's. I'm sure that as you say, plenty of people go just so say they've been (or because it's the only restaurant there they've heard of), but I honestly thought it was exceptional. I'm not a rich man, just someone who is happy to splash out on occasion for really good food.

I would also recommend "Paul Ainsworth at No6" in Padstow and Paul Ripley's new pub (he used to run Ripley's in St Merryn).

As for the locals, well, Stein's had that restaurant since 1976, so he's hardly just moved in and taken over. It sounds like a few are happy to benefit from the money he brings in, and then complain anyway. I thought it was "Padstein" not "Steinstow"!

tails
    Free Member

Can't say its over rated as its not really rated but authentic Chinese food is rough, french foods okay if kept simple I like the breakfast. Equally dutch/euro breakfast is nice, italian pizza places yum. Thai street food, Mexican street food and I quite like texmex. british fish and chips, cornish pasties, bangers and mash from the cock pub in hemingford, nice homemade soup in ireland, the breakfast surf shack places in cali and last but not least big nicks dinner new york.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Don't you have to be dead to be eulogised?

Yeah problee. Just thought I would use a big word to make me sound all clever like.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I went there two weeks ago. Faultless food, faultless service and a comfortable, nicely designed dining room. Expensive? Hell yes, but then the best always is.

Well if you think cramped upright seating centred around a bar area that would look more at home in a TJ Wetherspoon's bar then fair enough. I was utterly underwhelmed – just as I was when I ate at Gordon Ramsey's restaurant at Powerscourt outside Dublin and his cafe Foxtrot Alpha in London.

I can honestly say, from my experience, that these celeb restaurants trade on the reputation of the owner rather than quality of food available.

ransos
    Free Member

"Well if you think cramped upright seating centred around a bar area that would look more at home in a TJ Wetherspoon's bar then fair enough"

Umm, dining chairs normally are upright. And it wasn't centered around the bar area. Regardless of personal taste, it was all distinctly better quality than a chain pub.

Maybe it's been refurbished since you went?

Anyway, you didn't like and that's fair enough. But I thought it stuck to what Stein has always evangelised about – the very best and freshest fish, cooked fairly simply.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

The reason I felt uncomfortable had less to do with the seats, and more to do with the fact that no matter how much I try to 'better' myself, at heart I'll always be a northern monkey who doesnt really 'belong' in places like the Seafood restaurant.

BlingBling
    Free Member

And it wasn't centered around the bar area

It still was when I ate there in May.

I liked the place and thought the food and service was excellent.
    I stayed in one of the rooms above too, now THAT was expensive.

BlingBling
    Free Member

the fact that no matter how much I try to 'better' myself, at heart I'll always be a northern monkey who doesnt really 'belong' in places like the Seafood restaurant.

*hugs mitch*

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

About bloody time too!

ransos
    Free Member

"The reason I felt uncomfortable had less to do with the seats, and more to do with the fact that no matter how much I try to 'better' myself, at heart I'll always be a northern monkey who doesnt really 'belong' in places like the Seafood restaurant."

It's a shame you feel that way, but I understand where you're coming from. The way I see it is that if they're prepared to take your money, you very definitely belong there. I thought it was an interesting mix of people, myself. There were ones like us (rare treat, taking photos, distinctly uncool) through to over-priviledged London types who showed no interest in the food, but were there because they lack the imagination to do something else with their buckets of cash.

juan
    Free Member

but were there because they lack the imagination to do something else with their buckets of cash.

Like what buying bike bits 😉

franki
    Free Member

I'm not massively excited by Italian food.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Funny you should mention the apparently disinterested customers ransos – when we went, there were four French (steady Juan) people who I presume owned the floating gin palace moored in the harbour, all smoking (despite it supposedly being a non-smoking area at the time) and pointedly ignoring the enormous fruits da mer they'd ordered. I wasnt putting myself down when I said I felt I didnt belong there, just being honest – it's obviously a life style that some people aspire to or are happy being a part of, its just not for me.

juan
    Free Member

Funny you should mention the apparently disinterested customers ransos – when we went, there were four French (steady Juan)

Tis ok a c0ck voting tory (or UMP in this case) is still a c0ck regardless his place of birth. But how do you know they were French I though brit did not speak any other language other than english 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Umm, dining chairs normally are upright.

You don't have to be a smart-arse – if you don't understand what I mean about upright seating I won't even bother attempting to explain it further. I was there in April BTW.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I think it was the Tricolor on the yacht, the fact that they were speaking french, and the fact that they were dressed much better than me! You're right though Juan, a cock is still a cock wherever he or she is from.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Mastiles, maybe you should try a ye olde Roman type establishment? 😉

juan
    Free Member

bugger I have been pwuned…

ransos
    Free Member

"You don't have to be a smart-arse – if you don't understand what I mean about upright seating I won't even bother attempting to explain it further. I was there in April BTW."

Wind your neck in. How could a dining chair be uncomfortable by virtue of being upright? That's how they're supposed to be.

tails
    Free Member

Wind your neck in. How could a dining chair be uncomfortable by virtue of being upright? That's how they're supposed to be.

Well really you want a slight rake to any chair but yeah you wouldn't go to a fancy restaurant to sit in a sofa.

DavidB
    Free Member

I grew up in Padstow and remember when Stein's restaurant was a shite nightclub for pissed fishermen.

JulianA
    Free Member

Always found it hard to get my steak / duck rare enough in France. Perhaps it's because they don't think an English person would really like it properly blue?

We always found Greek food to be a bit bland (although almost everything else about Greece is FAB) until we went to Taverna Ela in Chania. Out of this world. Really.

Eddie_fb
    Free Member

I went to Stein's Seafood Restaurant in December, and know what you mean about feeling uncomfortable. Thought I noticed a few glances from the staff in my direction, possibly at my wife, 9 months pregnant at the time (and showing like buggery). I was a bit annoyed, having put my best(only) suit on, the wife was wearing a posh dress, and it was our first anniversary. Mind you, I've always felt out of place anywhere you don't stand in line for your food, so maybe not just Steiny's?

Still, when we went back to our car, and I realised I'd left my muddy trainers on, instead of changing into me posh leather shoe's might have had something to do with it!! (plus ordered steak in a fish restaurant, so they probably thought I was a c0ck)

BlingBling
    Free Member

Eddie_fb, f@ck'em your money is worth exactly the same as the next man so just enjoy it.

Most of the time it's all in the head anyway.

tails
    Free Member

Yeah I'm with bling ****'m I heard recently some Michelin star chef being asked about people having steaks well done. His reply was its their money they get it how they want. I liked that reply

Eddie_fb
    Free Member

Yeah, I'm aware it's mostly in my head. Luckily we live near a really class pub that does fantastic food (Polgooth Inn, nr St. Austell) and I feel at home there, so I can eat bangers and mash in comfort!

mmmmm, award winning bangers and mash…….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

'Yeah, but dribbling from where essel?'

Well, my gob at the time of writing, but now you come to mention it, the 2nd Thursday of the holiday was bad. Definately had Goan Guts that day!
    Still can't wait to go back though!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Over rated cuisine’ is closed to new replies.