Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Over heating TV switcing off!
  • lightman
    Free Member

I had the stove on, getting the room up to temp and about an hour latter the TV decided to switch off and then back on again!
    Im guessing its the heat build up because I opened the door and cooled the room and it seems fine now.
    I put a wee temperature gauge on the vents at the top of the TV and its sitting at 41c! I don’t know what it was at when it switched off, but 40+ seems very high!

Its an old second hand flat screen (possibly around 6 years old), so first I was thinking it was dying, but the over heating thing seems like it could be the problem.

Does anyone else have this problem?
    How hot does your TV get?
    Should I get a fan to help cool the TV?

gears_suck
    Free Member

Pour a bag of ice into the vents. That should do the trick.

parkesie
    Free Member

Is it full of dust?

Drac

The vents can fill up with dust give them a good vacuum out tomorrow.

lightman
    Free Member

It might be dust, as I do get a bit from the stove, but it is a big TV and it has loads of big vents.
    Maybe dust on the electrics?
    It just seems to be running very hot, but I have no idea what other peoples run at, so it might be fine.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Is it an old plasma tv. They run very hot and consume quite a bit of power. People fix them to a wall and when they take them off there are burn or scorch marks on the wall. Probably a build up of dust or fluff inside.

project
    Free Member

Had a new amstrad tv many years ago,the thing would get very hot, got fixed a few times, it was the transformer overheating, 3 rd time they fitted a bigger transformer, and it started smoking quite bad, just unplugged it fast, opened windows and stood by with a bucket of water(you should never throw water on a tv, due to all the enegery still trapped in it).

Result knackered melted transformer, terrible smell of burning plastic, and a trip tothe recycling centre.

maxtorque

Was it just a brief power interruption? I.e. anything else mains powered flicker too?

41degC out the vents is fine, assuming that there are no individual hot spots on the components. Typical semiconductors will operate up to over 100degC, but generally will be specified to operate around about 60degC

Early plasma and LED tellys were rather in-efficient, as they stuggled with the technology to get them bright enough. That mean’t the pixel drive currents were high and they produced lots of heat as a biproduct of the light output.

If it were a pure thermal trip cutting in, then i would expect it to be repeatable

tomhoward

Mine (3yrold samsung) started doing that, and later started turning itself on in the middle of the night (much head scratching…) then when I’d switch it on, it would turn straight off again. Rang Samsung, explained the issue, they sent some lads round, changed some (all?) the capacitors, as there had been a build up of power, hence the mystical switching on. Took all of 30 mins to do, with most of that time taking the back of the tv off/reattaching it…

Give the mfr a ring, could be that?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Had a new amstrad tv

trip to the recycling centre.

A lesson learnt…

eskay

Usually down to capacitors starting to fail with age. Can usually be diagnosed with freeze spray but should only be undertaken by someone who knows what they are doing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Over heating TV switcing off!’ is closed to new replies.