Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Over 25 – do you ever feel 100% injury free?
  • sefton
    Free Member

I’m 31 now and almost never feel 100% – I always have some niggle, tight muscle, aching pain etc

ransos
    Free Member

I’m 34, and this year is the first time I’ve had a persistent niggle (a knee injury which was caused by a crash). Normally, I heal up pretty quickly, but maybe it’s a sign of advancing years.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yes quite a lot of the time ( and 38 )

Although if you had asked me the same question this time last year I was recovering from a broken wrist and not far off been struck down by a serious bought of Pneumonia which put me out of action for the rest of the year.

I had more aches and pains when I did less exercise 3 years ago than I do now

Drac

39 and 100% injury free.

kudos100
    Free Member

I haven’t felt injury free since I was 13 years old. A combination of mountain biking and skateboarding will do that to you.

I’m 31 and am in pretty good shape, apart from two knackered shoulders and a dodgy ankle 😆

jota180
    Free Member

53 and no injuries to speak off

I constantly ache like **** mind 😀 but not carrying anything that needs healing

Haze

40 and no aches or pains here.

Doubt it’ll last, starting up running again soon…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve not been injury free since I was 19!

20 – fecked my knee in a crash – 2 years, was just getting back to speed then…….
    22 – walked off a 8ft wall and did my back, about a year and a half to recover any flexibility in it.
    23 – messed up somethign in my right shoulder/tricep never been able to do shoulder pres type movements since
    25 – did my back again, been 6 months now.

I suspect a lot of the injuries stem from the original knee injury either directly from limping for that long or from being generaly unfit and lacking the propper strength (particulalry i my core) to keep everything working as it should.

Just bought something called P90X off ebay in the vain hope that it’ll act as a ballance to cycling, if that don’t work I’m goig back to raceing sailboats, at least water doesn’t hurt when you hit it (although I did once do myself a pretty big injury adter plouging into a wave and coming to a complete stop, or rather the boat did, my knee carried on into the back of the daggerboard at 30knots 🙁 )

dantsw13

37, barring the odd bad back, injury free!! (Apart from a really sore knee wound from bailing a drop on tuesday :-(( )

13thfloormonk

Haven’t been completely ‘free’ for a while 🙁

Worst thing is, I’m relatively fit and ‘tough’ but my posture/physio regime are a shambles, so almost all of my injuries are from overuse or imbalance.

On the plus side, I’m learning to recognise that which I can ride through and that which requires rest. Also, if I can’t ride, I can usually fall back on hillwalking so I’m never bereft of things to do.

It would be nice if I could afford a weekly physio check up, I’ve been lucky in that a certain person on here has offered some excellent advice in the past and saved me the expense of private/waiting on NHS that it would have involved otherwise.

Stoner
    Free Member

At 28/29 I stopped playing serious hockey as it was taking me more than seven days to recover for the next match on Saturday. I was a goalie, and after a while if it’s not bruised, its strained, and if its not strained it has already been amputated.

Now (36) I feel in fairly good nick, rarely carry much of an injury (usually only sustained from over exertion with building stuff). Ezcema and clumsy cuts in my fingers are pretty much the only things holding me back. That and being an over-drinking unfit slob, obviously.

And why is it my knife skills are terrible now? Always slicing myself these days. 🙁

ski
    Free Member

At 28/29 I stopped playing serious hockey as it was taking me more than seven days to recover for the next match on Saturday. I was a goalie, and after a while if it’s not bruised, its strained, and if its not strained it has already been amputated.

43 here and I find Hockey is a killer for your back, I still play, but the start of the season is always a real struggle, a good five days to recover, your body just about gets used to the abuse by the end of the season and you then stop! Only to go through all the pain again next season 😉

Its recovery times that take longer for me the older I get, no real injuries yet, apart from trying to do stuff that I could do at 17 and failing miserably.

43 in 10 days and not had an injury (that’s hasn’t healed real quick) ever. I’ve broken bones and had stitches but these had only had me off the bike a week or two max

Stoner
    Free Member

Hockey is a killer for your back

You need shorter legs. The best outfield players always had low-flying arses. :0

Where do you play in Worcs ski?

ski
    Free Member

My little one plays for Worcester, they have a very good setup for kids hockey, but I am still a member at Evesham.

You can imagine the rubbish I have to take, sending my kid to a rival club 😉

Duggan

30 here and I currently consider myself injury free, though I’m one of these people who got ‘into’ exercising later in life and so didn’t really have years of doing sport before the age of about 27.

I did get ITBS in my knee a while ago and that put me off running and cycling for about 6 or 7 months but OK since then, other than a few shin-splints.

thegman67

If you have no aches or pains your not trying hard enough lol

Stoner
    Free Member

we’re lining Jr up for rugby @ ledbury I think. He’s far too kackhanded to be any good at Hockey 🙂

Im surprised anyone in Evesham can even spell “Hockey”…

passtherizla
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve been injury free since starting skateboarding in ’92.

ski
    Free Member

Im surprised anyone in Evesham can even spell “Hockey”.

Ouch 😉

Haze

I don’t think I’ve been injury free since starting skateboarding in ’92

That’s roughly when I stopped and began a relatively injury free life for the first time since I started 6 or 7 years previously. No more sprained/broken ankles, bruised heels or dislocated fingers 🙂

Started again a few years back but laid off after rupturing my achilles (not skateboarding related).

Happy days all the same!

butcher

I don’t think I’ve been injury free since starting skateboarding in ’92

Same here. From about ’89. I used to walk with a limp most mornings until my body warmed up a bit. Last few years I haven’t been skating too often and I’ve never felt better!

slowjo
    Free Member

51 and injury/niggle free for several years now.

I’ll just put a call in to the physio now as I have obviously junxed myself!

sambob
    Free Member

I’m alright at the moment, apart from the ligaments in my foot being a bit weird. I always had something playing hockey though, normally lower back or swelling somewhere from being smashed by the ball.

Garry_Lager

Usually injury-free. Mountain-biking is God’s gift to fat people, basically. Obv you can get some bad injuries when you’re pushing the skills envelope, but it is superbly gentle on the body in the main.

I’ve (foolishly) been doing a bit of running recently and the difference on the joints / muscles is really apparent.

ETA I sometimes wonder what cycling does to your ballsack and attendant areas, long term. More for road cyclists who really put the miles in. Can’t be too many of them becoming dads in their 40s and 50s.

tomtomthepipersson

38 here – I get the occasional dull ache in my knee when I ride, usually when it’s cold, but generally I’m in pretty good nick considering I’ve been mountain biking for 20 odd years. Never broken a bone, only had one bike-related A&E visit (riding back from the chippie a bit too eagerly). Had a bit of a wildlife collision last week but that’s healing up nicely.

zerocool

I’mm 33 and last year was the first time since I was 17 that I’ve been 100%. It’s taken a lot of effort though, watching what I eat, finally started stretching properly and warming up. Lost about 2 stone as well which helped (a lot). And training properly rather than just going for a ride/gym with no clear plan.

Tom KP

hjghg5
    Free Member

34 and I haven’t been injury free for 9.5 years – I have pins and plates in my ankle after a bad break and it’s still visibly swollen, stiffer than it should be, and I need to be careful with it. It’s far better than they expected it to be, and I can run marathons and cycle and climb on it – it tends to be silly stuff that sets it off like sitting in the wrong position (e.g curling my leg under me and putting too much weight on it from the “wrong” direction. At the weekend I set it off by jumping down from a bouldering wall and landing on it a bit too heavily. Most of the time I can discount it because it doesn’t hurt if I keep within its comfortable limits – but even so, the fact that I can’t go outside those limits means that I’m not injury free, if you see what I mean. On the plus side, taking up cycling was in part motivated by the fact that it may stop me running at some point and I wanted to have something else to fall back on.

Other than that I do seem to go through a succession of injuries and niggles. Some of them have clear external causes (being hit by a car, for one – proving that cycling isn’t the injury free alternative I hoped it would be…) while others do just seem to be wear and tear. I put some of it down to the ankle (I’ve had knee injuries that seemed to come from overcompensation) but some of them seem unrelated – the calf on my other leg tightens up now and again, on occasion I’ve torn it by not listening to the warnings.

I have constant tension in my neck/shoulders. There have been a number of falls from bikes, but there is also sitting at a desk all day in a stressful job.

Blackhound

When I was running the best that could be said of me was that I was ‘between injuries’

boxfish
    Free Member

Played a lot of rugby in my teens and twenties, so no, there’s always something aching.

Northwind

Discounting my screwed leg, I feel fine most of the time. You just kind of recalibrate your head as to what “injury free” feels like.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Over 25 – do you ever feel 100% injury free?’ is closed to new replies.