Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Oval (type) chain rings on hub gear?
  • specializedbear
    Free Member

Does anyone know for sure if it is possible to a run oval type chain ring on a hub gear set up? (where there is no chain tensioner in the system, ie sprocket, chain,1x chain wheel). I thought not, however have been told otherwise.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, you can. Think about it – with the oval vertical, the chain is wrapped around half the oval. With the oval horizontal, it’s still wrapped around half the oval.

I know it doesn’t seem right, but it works 😉

c_klein87

you still need to tension the chain initially, either EBB, slider dropout etc etc. but yes I run single speed with a onekey chainrings and its fine, just has varying chain tension

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyl
    Free Member

Ben – my headhurts now….but yeah I get it now.

Is there a slight difference due to any slight offset/eccentricity (I guess there must be as you get a bit with round rings) meaning it’s bes to check the tension in the positions with the most pedal load?

bencooper
    Free Member

Aye, the bikes I’ve tried with it there is a little variation in tension – I think partly down to non-centred ovals (but you get that with round rings as well) and partly down to the chain not contacting the ring at precisely 12 and 6 o’clock.

So when I’ve set it up, I’ve set the tension at the tightest point – it’s never been much looser at the loosest point.

Martin.B
    Free Member

Yes it runs no problem. I run one with my Alfine hub gear and its great 🙂

specializedbear
    Free Member

I know, it didn’t seem possible to me at first. But then the more I thought about it??? I have got slider drop outs so think I will give it a try. Cheers all, you’ve been a great help. Any further comments welcome.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Oval (type) chain rings on hub gear?’ is closed to new replies.