Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Oval rings
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I expect I’d want same ring size on my enduro bike but could maybe hop up to 32t on my Solaris.

qwerty
    Free Member

Oh & on my HT, when putting the power down in an on/off techy singletrack styleee it can “knock” at the freehub, i think this is to so with the rings ovality.

TimP
    Free Member

I put one on a new bike before I really rode it so difficult to compare and say how big a difference it makes, but where I do notice it is getting off my fixed bike and onto anything else. When I go fixed to a round ring, I really notice the dead spot at the bottom of my pedal stroke (about 5 o’clock) which on the fixie, your momentum drags you through. When I jump on my HT with oval rings, the dead spot is much less noticeable.

Personally I am becoming more of a fan, but more for XC and I don’t think I will bother on my FS

rone

I’ve had a pair of q-rings from rotor and recently an absolute black. Much prefer the absolute black as the q-ring is slightly off on the chainline and makes a grinding noise, teeth are also a bit longer and can be a bit too close to the chainstay.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i went up a few teeth 32t over 30t and its definately faster, but so would a round chainring, although on the other end, i dont feel to have lost my lowest gear. so all good

i like it and plan to buy the race face oval cinch when they pull their finger out, rf facebook replied to a message saying watch this space on oval rings, about 8 months back.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I had been using one for 18 months or so – didn’t really notice a huge difference but didn’t notice any downsides.

I’m back on a round ring at the mo because my new cranks have a silly BCD or DM fit and I can’t say I’ve really noticed much difference swapping back. I was going to pop another AB ring on, but I’m being tight and will live the stock ring for a while.

Speeder

whatyadoinsucka – Member
    i like it and plan to buy the race face oval cinch when they pull their finger out, rf facebook replied to a message saying watch this space on oval rings, about 8 months back.

I’ve got an Absolute Black on my RF Cinch cranks and it’s been fine – lots of companies make them, why would you need to wait for RF to make one?? I’d go for a Works Components one if I was buying new as they’re very cheap and made in the UK.

stevextc
    Free Member

Another happy ex-knee sufferer …
    I think it does help on steep/loose climbs as well…. it actually made a big difference to Jnr. on climbs and he manages not to lose grip where he used to ….

You could probably just do the same mentally by concentrating but then it puts strain on the knees/hips…. as your basically pushing harder in the worst position … not to mention you’d then not be concentrating on the riding. I do think they add to clutch wear but so does Full suss….

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Running Absolute Black on my Full sus, round on my hardtail. I think there’s a noticable smoothing effect which improves traction when climbing.

It’s good, miss it on the hardtail but I’m waiting for the round ring to wear out – I can’t see myself going back so replacing now seems a bit of a waste!

AbBlack Cinch ring on Katie’s RF cranks fits fine, works well.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@speeder i’ve got an absolute black on my lefty, and it runs well its more waiting for a RF oval for complete the look of the bike so happy to run a regular rf cinch until then.

actually planning an upgrade on my lefty with the current drivetrain going onto a cotic frame i bagged on ebay.
    will probably get another rf crank and get the works oval.

boxelder

As simons points out above, they even out power transfer and aid traction- most noticeable on steep climbs and for smoother uphill pedalling. Absolute Black.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Oval rings’ is closed to new replies.