Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Oval rings for Race Face cinch cranks….
  • alpin
    Free Member

After a ride this weekend that destroyed my illusion that I can push a 34 ring up an Alp, I’m now looking for something more alp friendly.

My CRC basket is ready to go, but then I thought about toying with the idea of an oval ring, but can’t find anything for Race Face Next SL cranks….

Anything out there?

Cheers.

whitestone
    Free Member

Absolute Black? I’ve a direct mount oval ring for my Aeffect cranks from them.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I use Absolute Black Oval Traction rings on my cinch cranks. I’m really pleased with it.

alpin
    Free Member

Cheers… Will have a butchers.

fathomer

Works Components working well for me. Much cheaper than the AB as well I’d guess.

gelert
    Free Member

I’ve had two Absolute Black Cinch ovals which were claimed to fix the chain line for non Boost bikes back to 49mm. They don’t. On one bike I could move BB spacers around but on the other I wasn’t able to.

I found out when I bought a OneUp Cinch oval that had 6mm of offset and did indeed fix the chain line to 49mm.

Then when I put an original Race Face Cinch 51mm DM ring next to the OneUp and the Absolute Black it was really clear that the OneUp is much thicker and offset more.

If your bike works fine with 51mm chain line… go ahead. The AB rings are fine.

If your bike doesn’t work so well with 51mm then buy the OneUp “standard” Cinch rings with 6mm offset on them.

This isn’t so much an issue with 10 speed cassettes but it’s a real issue on 11 speed Shimano or the chain drops when you backpedal in 1st.

GeForceJunky

Superstart do boost and non boost cinch rings in 28-40T ranges in loads of colours.

onewheelgood

I’ve got an AB 30t oval on the Next SL cranks on my Jeffsy. SRAM 11-speed, no problems fitting it or in use.

splashdown
    Free Member

+1 for Absolute Black 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Yep, just been on the Superstar site looking at these. £30
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/raptor-oval-chainring-raceface-direct-mount-narrow-wide.htm or Boost: http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/raptor-chainring-raceface-cinch-oval-boost-direct-mount-narrow-wide.htm

Here, I thought boost was hubs, is it wider bb too? Gawd so many “standards”!

sl80
    Free Member

Works Components oval has done 500+ miles in all conditions on my full sus and it’s hardly showing any wear at all. I’d definitely go back for another.

Kryton57

Works Components oval has done 500+ miles in all conditions on my full sus and it’s hardly showing any wear at all. I’d definitely go back for another.

This. Raced and ridden for 12months.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Another shout for works components ..small British business in the Midlands ..also available in a choice of colours.
    It works flawlessly

dufusdip
    Free Member

Lost count but +× for works components. Cheaper than AB and arrived really quickly.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just looked at the works components stuff but it doesn’t look like they do a boost cinch oval ring. Needs to be boost to clear the chain stay.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

One Up do them too.

mahalo

Absolute Black Oval direct mounted on cinch cranks, concaved for boost. cant fault it

Northwind

I have an absoluteblack just because at the time there wasn’t anything else, the chain retention wasn’t as good as you get with other, better brands and it was expensive, but it did the job well enough.

I don’t know how boost rings work, I can’t get anything so bloody stupid to stay in my head for long but you can flip normal rings for clearance- I have mine on a fatbike and it’s flipped to move the chainline out

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Oval rings for Race Face cinch cranks….’ is closed to new replies.