Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Oval chain ring – emperors new clothes or holy grail?
  • Lakes_Puma

Looking to make some changes to my drive train and wondering if I should jump on the oval band wagon, do they live up to the hype?

swanny853

I’d say you’re going to have to try one. I have one, I think it’s added a little extra speed at the top and maybe helps with really low cadence stuff, but it’s not a game changer.

In summary, the black series ones on CRC are probably worth getting, but I wouldn’t pay the extra for the original absolute black ones

mrblobby
    Free Member

Here, here, here and here and probably loads of other recent ones too.

Summary, some like them, some can’t tell the difference, someone brings up Biopace.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

^^ 😀 /thread

burko73

Difficult to tell, haven’t tried them yet, I just got them to put on my 1998 spesh stumpy…. I took the bio pace ones off as they just weren’t fashionable any more…… ;-/

thegreatape
    Free Member

I put one on my bike today, a 32 oval replacing a round 30. I quite like trying different things, and at £30 for the CRC absoluteBLACK ones it’s no great risk.

On the road to the trails it felt odd, like the cranks kept falling forward, which isn’t entirely unexpected I suppose. 2 hours later on the way home I didn’t notice this at all.

Going up the way, I found myself using either the same gear or one harder at the back, and using the scientific measure of how well I kept up with my mates I was quicker getting to the top. The lack of a ‘dead spot’ was very noticeable, but I am a slow cadence grinder rather than a spinner and I suspect the effect could be less distinct for the latter. In addition I found the pedally bits that intersperse the descents a little easier as pedalling felt easier.

It also felt good when pedalling standing up, I think again because it felt like less of a struggle.

A couple of the lads had a shot on it going up the way and they both commented on the smoothness.

I’m rather taken with it based on this first go. I’m a steady Eddie not a racing snake, so maybe the benefit is greater for the likes of me?

Lakes_Puma

Thanks thegreatape, it sounds like you ride very much like me so I’m looking forward to fitting one on my bike.

stevied
    Free Member

Similar to TGA for me. I’ve got one on a 170mm full sus which is used for everything. On the big climbs I find I’m faster due to a smoother cadence (felt faster and timed faster on Strava). I’m a grinder on climbs and get out of the saddle a fair bit and really notice it over the old round ring. Also went from 30T to 32T oval..
    I tried my mate’s new bike with a round ring and felt the difference straight away.

Bigmantrials

I fitted one to my 130mm travel 29er a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say I agree with TheGreatApe about how it seems to have improved my climbing, the biggest thing I have noticed is that I seem to be able to maintain much more traction on difficult technical climbs where I know I was loosing traction on my round chainring.

For the record I have moved from a 32t round to a 32t oval.

njee20
    Free Member

I also fitted one yesterday (32t oval, replacing 32t round) and this is spot on:

On the road to the trails it felt odd, like the cranks kept falling forward, which isn’t entirely unexpected I suppose. 2 hours later on the way home I didn’t notice this at all.

I didn’t really notice any difference off road, wasn’t a very long or arduous ride, maybe a little smoother when out of the saddle on little rises. Can’t see how you’d object to it, just didn’t really notice, which is praise in itself I guess.

arcadian
    Free Member

Is going up by 2 teeth about normal for trying oval rings? Currently on 34t chainring (1×11, 27″ wheels), tempted to try it and also have a grind/mash rather than spinny style. Guessing just adding 2 links to the chain would be fine for going up 2 teeth on an oval ring would be fine?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I don’t know. I didn’t really have a choice as, to my knowledge, a 30T 104 BCD oval isn’t available. I was a little hesitant because on the last thread on the matter a couple of guys went from 32 round to 34 oval, based on the go up 2 teeth advice/logic, and found it harder, so evidently that advice isn’t always appropriate. On the other hand, I started with 32 round, changed to 30 because I was struggling sometimes, and then have got a lot fitter since then, so I guess that is a factor in the 32 oval feeling fine for me (so far).

Regarding chain length, I didn’t have to change mine going from 32 to 30, and likewise for then going to 32 oval. Remember that because your chain only goes round half the chainring at a time, the difference is only half a link.

honourablegeorge

JUst fitted one now, rode it around the house. Can feel the spot where it’s easier. Frustrated now, will be a week before I can test properly

Lakes_Puma

Well I’m a convert!

Went for a ride last night with a mix of terrain and gradients and the oval ring felt great and more natural in no time.

In fact when I swapped bikes with a mate so he could try mine, his round ring felt awkward.

pete68
    Free Member

Mines arriving today from CRC,so time will tell. Looking at the other comments I’ll be interested to see if I can tell any difference.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Oval chain ring – emperors new clothes or holy grail?’ is closed to new replies.