Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Outside tap fitting drilling through walls?
  • cookeaa

got the kit and the drill. any tips?

totalshell

.. 95% of outside taps take thier water from under the kitchen sink. check measure half a dozen times before you put drill to the wall. i’d normally start on the outside wall, try to start in the mortar rather than brick/ stone its much softer.. if you drill from the inside you will have blow off on the outer wall when you penetrate and it can be messy.

drill nice and slowly and dont try to drill the full pipe diameter straight off work your way up it” ll be easier on your drill and bits. when you have gone through the bricks and mortars start on the inside. use a nice big hole saw to cut through the back of the kitchen cupboard.

Always fit an isolation valve inside the house so that come winter you can turn it off there so that the whole houses water supply isnt affected should it freeze ( its also a water reg) try and have the tap over a drain so that all those drips have somewhere to go

if you have a b&Q/ screwfix kit ok.. if not use copper pipe and hep20 white push fit fittings ( you can take them apart should you get it wrong) outside always use a nice brass tap securely mounted , preferably on a nice wooden plinth.

http://pre65trials.blogspot.com/

we few we happy few

cookeaa

cheers very comprehensive. I’ve got to go through a UPVC panel on the back wall any tips there?

Underhill
    Free Member

Obvious one, drill at a slight upwards angle from outside to inside so that rainwater can’t flow back into the house.

gusamc
    Free Member

if you can put a slight downhill(towards outside)on the pipe it means that in winter when you shut the inside stop off(*ie fit an inside isolator) you can fully drain the (outside bits of) pipe by opening outside tap (and then reshut) and I believe it’s a legal reqt that the actual tap has an anti backflow device

project
    Free Member

Drill from the inside out, going slightly down hill , use a small diameter drill first, then a bigger size, dont push to hard or youll bust through outside.

Acustomer who was a virgin installer, (the internet thing not a virgin)said a customer asked could he borrow his long drill bit, a few minutes latter the client came and said have i got any sealant, he had drilled through the wall from outside and straight through a radiator which was leaking.

ALWAYS INSTALL AN ISOLATOR VALVE INSIDE AND USE IT, ESPPECIALLY IF ON A WATER METER, as somebody may see it funny to turn the outside tap on, or as an old neighbour found out to leave the hosepipe through the letter box switched on, floded her ground floor.

cookeaa

Cheers all, I’d already got a kit; Brass fittings, Isolator (With a Bleed valve), uses a length of flexible pipe, I will drill at a slight angle to get drop on the line, I was just wondering is there’s any issue with drilling through masonary and a UPVC panel, not drilled one of these panels before and I’m not keen to knacker it, also do people normally fill around the pipe with a sealant/EPS/mortar once its in any +/-s to doing this?

dmiller
    Free Member

I would drill from the inside out with a small diameter masonry bit at a slight downwards angle. Go slow when your nearly through so you cut the UPVC slowly and dont push the drill to hard. Even have someone on the outside who can tell you when you start to hit the UPVC. If you use a smaller drill then any breakout on the outside wall should be hidden when you use the bigger drill from the outside in.

Once you have the small hole use a bigger wood / metal drill outside to drill the UPVC to the right size for neatness, then use your correct size masonry bit from the outside in.

If you dont have tools and hiring get an SDS drill if its not much more – hot knife through butter for that size of hole!

I found that those clamp on valves from the kits that cut into the pipe are not great, in the end I put a proper t piece in place then a stop cock after that on the inside.

Also you should have a non-return tap on the outside – I dont know if its the law but its safer.

Once its done you’ll wonder how you lived without an tap!

Oh and other top plumbing tip I got from this site – pour a pint of water outside – see how much mess that made? That should stop your worrying when a bit of water escapes inside!

Edit – for filling round the pipe – I dont usually bother filing the hole – I might dress the inside with a bit of plaster to make it neater but if you ever want to replace the pipe it will be a pain in the hoop if you filled in around it!

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

you will have blow off on the outer wall when you penetrate and it can be messy

snigger

donsimon
    Free Member

If in doubt.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Outside tap fitting drilling through walls?’ is closed to new replies.