Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Outside bike storage – only got a patio/yard – no garage :-(
  • xiphon
    Free Member

This is a question for those who don’t have access to a garage for bike storage..

What can STW recommend for keeping 2 bikes locked up, and under cover, outside?

uplink
    Free Member

Big chain, concreted in & a motorcycle cover

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d be looking at what’s inside the house currently that doesn’t need to be!

IainAhh
    Free Member

One of those big plastic storage boxes you see at B&Q etc. Like a small shed.

Something like this.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=1728549&c_3=3|cat_14280522|Garden+Storage|14282833&c_2=2|cat_16849255|Sheds+and+Garden+Buildings|14280522&c_1=1|category_root|Garden+and+Outdoors|16849255

They are good and dry inside. You could add some more security like said above.

alexxx
    Free Member

bike bag keep it in the house!

ciron
    Free Member

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/

Bit expensive but can be insured.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

This.
    Or, a mate is currently looking at one of these – he has to make room for a pram 😕
    http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.php?pro_code=BL3

RustyMac

I went down the route of a tigersheds security shed

http://www.tigersheds.com/product_detail.asp?prod=15

I put this on top of a slab base and in place of one of the slabs i installed a ground anchor that comes up through the base of the shed i then chain my bikes with a pramasis chain to the ground anchor. When i put the shed together i used screws, i then replaced 2 of the hinge screws on each hing with round headed bolts.

At the end of the day if they want in they will get in but hopefully it will take them long enough with what i have done i will hear them.

xiphon
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas.

Unfortunately, inside the house is not possible, no matter how much I try to convince her… it’s a rented property, hopefully for only 6 months or so, until we find a property with a garage…

B&Q do a small bike shed, around £150 which looks quite good.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

no matter how much I try to convince her.

any link with…

😉
    More seriously, I’ve only ever lived in rented houses – plaastic mat on the floor, bikes in bike bags. Doesn’t take up that much room if you keep it tidy.

Dr_Bakes

Similar to the Asgardsss are these:

Trimetals

I had one in a small front garden in London for a few years and it kept the commuter bikes out of sight and dry. We grew some ivy over it and it was located behind the car parking spot! Benefits by having an up-and-over style door and padlock points.

joolsburger
    Free Member

If it’s only for a few months put the bike in the house. It can always go in the garden when people are over etc.

samuri
    Free Member

I have the trimetals one above. It’s moveable so you can take it with you when you go. The police chap who came round pronounced it excellent protection although when the builders moved it they were through the padlocks in seconds with an angle grinder.

I suppose ‘excellent’ means ‘it will stop kids and smackheads’, bain’t nothing going to stop professionals.

I always leave a cheap bike running free in the back graden anyway.

colande
    Free Member

i can only comment on the tiger shed one that Rusty Mac linked to,

don’t mean to be a pooh pooh-er but a friend of mine has that exact shed and I can’t see how it can be marketed as security shed,
    all i can see different from a basic shed is the metal bar across the door, but its nothing that a crowbar would take care of, ie rip the screws out with it,

that’s all 🙂

Tiboy

we had the same issue last month when we moved into rented house, decided discretion was the best course of action as I couldn’t get my preferred storage agreed by the landlord, one of these…

Which I reckon is pretty much professional proof.

So we went for a very simple wooden shed with little external security to draw attention, and then an anchor inside. As is said above it’s only to slow them down and make noise. 😕

pop-larkin
    Free Member

the asgard one would get my vote with a ground anchor

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the bike sheds from B&Q
    like the one below
    security-wise it just about keeps stuff dry 😉
    it doesn’t have any bikes in…

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I have a Trimetals one. Keeps things dry, out of sight and harder to nick than just a lock round a railing, but I have no illusions that someone couldn’t get into it fairly easily if they really wanted.

Its also approved by insurance companies if you anchor it to the ground correctly.

DT78
    Free Member

Has any one spotted one of the asgard style sheds for less than £400?

hels
    Free Member

I have never understood why people are funny about keeping bikes inside the house, you track in more rubbish on the soles of your shoes each day, unless you put on plastic slip covers or walk about in your socks ?

I’d sleep in the shed myself before I left my bikes in there.

cinnamon_girl

Another vote for Trimetals.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Rent a box at The Big Yellow or similar. Cheaper and dry.

AlasdairMc

I’ve got one of the Asgard 4 bike sheds, it’ll take 5 at a push with bars moved parallel to the top tube.

Very sturdy and metal throughout, I’m very pleased with it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

you track in more rubbish on the soles

You must live in morocco. After some rides I can’t see my frame logo it’s so dirty and there’s a half pound of mud lodged in the tyres and frame. No way that’s going in the house.

xiphon
    Free Member

I’m not worried about mud – only 2 road bikes will be in the storage.

MTBs are in a family members garage.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

In that case I wouldnt worry about going overboard*- I had 3 mtb’s nicked in the summer and they left the road bike – the police said very little interest form the scumbags in road bikes

* I cannot be held responsible if they subsequently get nicked!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Outside bike storage – only got a patio/yard – no garage :-(’ is closed to new replies.