Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Outpost
  • tankslapper
    Free Member

Is it any good?

skidartist
    Free Member

what outpost are you talking about?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Currently scoring 6/10 on imdb.com which means you, ts, will probably enjoy it.

In the meantime, you could do worse than watching Frozen River, a very worthy, chinstroking movie watched at the local chinstroker by mr and mrs deadly cinema last night. Really good film though.

I meant to tell you ts…my birthday was on guess when? That's right…12/07. Imagine growing up in the deep south born on fooking Orangeman's day??!!

Harry_the_Spider

Tosh, but watchable tosh.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Harry…have you had that ticket yet? Should have arrived by now…were you given the choice of fine/course/points?

Drac

It's not bad perfectly entertaining

tankslapper
    Free Member

I meant to tell you ts…my birthday was on guess when? That's right…12/07. Imagine growing up in the deep south born on fooking Orangeman's day??!!

You must have come in for a bit of stick with that one – at least I had the sense to be born at Halloween! 😆

Not much for the horror genre – but will give it a go.

I'll check out Frozen River

cheers

skidartist
    Free Member

Ahh, that Outpost. I worked on it, so I'm always interested to see what other people think because I can't detach enough from it enough to see it properly. I think its got its flaws but from a lot of the feedback I come across people seem to be pretty accepting of them. Its a lot of movie for the money and really didn't believe it would ever get finished, because it was such a tough gig. I almost walked off the job and for quite a long time after I regretted not doing so. Anyway. It reminds me a bit of something like Dog Soldiers, a good film if its your kind of film, less so if its not.

tankslapper
    Free Member

almost walked off the job and for quite a long time after I regretted not doing so

O.K. skidartist which zombie were you then? 😛

skidartist
    Free Member

By the end I could have been any of them! I was only getting home for 2 -3 hours a night during the the last 3-4 weeks of filming.

Now a I tell you what would have been a good movie – one sunday on a break in shooting I had to go in do some work on the set and arrived at the studio to find it surrounded by police – some guys had broken in and we're in the act, so a good collar for the fuzz. The building is an absolute warren, a run down town hall with corridors reminiscent of the shining, so finding the guys was a real task – all the lights out, miles of corridors that all look the same. So they took in dogs. Eventually they we're happy that they had found everyone and I could get in and check on everything. Our set was doubly more of a maze than the rest of the building – totally enclosed, lots of false panels and false doors. I went in and right slap bang in the middle of the ceiling of the central corridor was this big hole. One of the guys must have tried to run across the roof of the set, which was only 6mm thick and fallen through to find himself in a dripping, dank, gore-stained nazi bunker in the absolute pitch dark. Every apparent exist to the 'outside world' was a complete dead end. He must have been shtting himself, and all around him in the darkness the barking dogs.

I used to work in a prison a long time back, and the inmates best stories were always their 'getting caught' stories, his would have been a corker.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Where was it filmed then and what was your role?

johnners
    Free Member

Outpost is a terrible film.

I really liked Frozen River though. I didn't think it at all chinstroky, it was rivetting. Short too, I like that in a film.

skidartist
    Free Member

Set was built inside govan town hall in glasgow, the war torn street in the opening scenes was near Dalbeatie, the exterior bunker was built near castle douglas. I'm credited as one of the designers, there we're two of us, which is unusual, as the other guy had done alot of the concept work but wasn't able to work the whole shoot, so we worked together then I took over as head of the art dept when he left. But I was also the construction manager for the duration. And the standby joiner for the shoot as well.

The great thing for me is about 80-90% of the screen time is in environments I designed and built, so its a great wee showreel.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Brilliant!!! 😆 Luckily Rab C didn't 'wander in fer a wee swalley!'

Any new projects coming up – what are you currently working on?

skidartist
    Free Member

The studio building was still half occupied by the council's addiction services at the time, so we had real zombies all around us. Thats the best thing about Govan, you can have a bunch of extras dressed as nazi zombies outside on a fag break and nobody even blinks.

Just finished shooting a budget thriller with Idris Elba called Legacy. Amusingly also filmed in Govan and Dalbeatie but seemingly set in Brooklyn and Russia, its to have the look and feel of a US independent flick. We'll have to see if it can gather enough momentum for a decent release though, might be more of a festival film.

In chats with bigger production called Eagle of the Ninth – a roman legion lost north of Hadrians wall (we'll gloss over that, as a roman legion would have been perfectly at home north of the wall) Pictish villages to be built up near Ullapool, and an underwater build on Loch Lomond. So if that gets a green light it should be fun

Drac

The studio building was still half occupied by the council's addiction services at the time, so we had real zombies all around us

Poor fekers must have been thinking they were having a bad trip seeing the cast zombies wandering about in nazi uniforms.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Outpost’ is closed to new replies.