Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Outlander PHEV anyone?
  • winston
    Free Member

ok well whatever is in there still takes the seat up load space down a chunk. The pointless 4×4 junk takes up a load more till you have a tiny weeny boot barely bigger than my leaf! (50 litres bigger apparently as I just checked)

One very good point in its favour however is its one of the few phevs or even hybrids that is rated for towing.

Xylene
    Free Member

One very good point in its favour however is its one of the few phevs or even hybrids that is rated for towing

From reading this I assume that is to tow other PHEVs

Drac

Don’t be silly. It’s to tow the spare batteries.

jonnyboi

ok well whatever is in there still takes the seat up load space down a chunk. The pointless 4×4 junk takes up a load more till you have a tiny weeny boot barely bigger than my leaf! (50 litres bigger apparently as I just checked)

It’s still 460 litres and it’s a good regular shape rather than the leaf. Having a rear electric motor isn’t ‘pointless’ if you actually want a car with four wheel drive.

One of the main issues is see with the PHEV is that it’s been bought by people as a BiK tool, and then used as a regular petrol car for 95% of the time.

With all electric cars/hybrids etc. You have to deal with compromise at this stage in the development. The i3 for example is lovely but it’s still largely a city car and the ‘range extender’ only has a 9 litre tank which means extended journeys will need some careful planning.

If you want a full size family car with a decent boot, 4WD and the ability to run extended distances occasionally, but have the majority of your commutes of less than 30 miles with charging points available then a PHEV might make sense more than any other car. Certainly if your public charging is still free. But it will still be flawed in some areas compared to a ‘normal’ car… you just have to accept the compromise depending on what’s important to you and your personal circumstances.

One of the bigger issues I am seeing now is competition at electric charge points, if you can’t guarantee a charge at your destination point then your PHEV could well be mostly a heavy car with 100hp petrol engine that also has to lug about 200kgs of batteries

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Outlander PHEV anyone?’ is closed to new replies.