Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Outer Hebrides motorcycle trip.
  • yodagoat
    Free Member

More awesome blogging from me. My mate Alex222 will surely love this one.
    http://yodagoat.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/winton-massif-outer-limits-tour.html

Comments, feedback and abuse are all welcome.

globalti
    Free Member

Wow! Looks fantastic! At first I couldn’t understand why the lads were camping apparently unmolested by midges then I saw the snow shot and realised they must have gone early in the year.

I did a similar round Scotland camping trip, solo, in wet weather, on my Honda CD175 with wooden home-made panniers and top box. I’ve never been so cold, wet, lonely and depressed in my life!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I want to do that.

Would a GS be suitable as my first motorbike?

boblo
    Free Member

These days it’s compulsory especially if you’re a middle aged thespian or professional type. Though the latter often go for Harley’s and join the local chapter of bad ass Accountants and HR directors 🙂

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Did a lap of Scotland wth my mates a few years back on my Tiger. Loads of fun! Included the Hebredies and Orkney.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Reminds me that I’m long overdue another motorbike road trip.

birky
    Free Member

Nice one, looks like you were lucky with the weather.

I had a flying visit to Lewis and Harris about 10 years ago. Left home near Dundee at 6:30am, into Ullapool for 9:30 and caught the next ferry. Sorted B+B in Stornoway then went for a ride round Lewis to see the sights. Next day went down to Harris for a nosey then caught the 4pm ferry to Uig and home by 9:30.

yodagoat
    Free Member

Cheers all. Aye, we had great weather for the trip.

Knob, a GS would be fine as a first bike. They are pretty good at handling when loaded up and can carry lots of stuff. They are pretty heavy though, but you can fit engine bars if you’re worried about dropping it.

rocketman
    Free Member

Did that quite some time ago on an NS400R 🙂

adidas holdall with a change of clothes bungeed to the seat hump and a rucksack full of synthetic two stroke

Ran out of fuel at one point and an old boy in a Land Rover kindly stopped and bunged me couple of gallons. He looked at the NS like it was something from the future.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My dad’s done a few similar trips, his forte is doing them on something a bit more ‘interesting’ than a GS. Much to the dispair of everyone else in the groups who usualy has identikit GS/Africa Twin/other whenever they stop it’s always whatever bag of nails he’s ridden in on that get’s people round cooing.

MT500 – chain self destructed on the motorway, cam’s were a little ‘loose’ in the head, front brake was for visual benefit only. Did quite a few trips on that one!

Enfield 500 – suspiciously reliable as long as you treated oil consumption like it was a 2T.

Honda transalp (too boring and reliable), he bought it off one of the guys he’d doen a trip with, but quickly sold it.

Triumph bonneville (from the 80’s), same comments as the enfield

BMW R80 with a huge fairing

Moto Guzzi V50ii, once expelled a huge cloud of smoke from the exhaust, so he kept going, a few miles later it stoped (the smoke not the bike) so he sold it.

He’s now done the middle aged thing and bought a Harley.

yodagoat
    Free Member

Good stuff. I fancy doing a LEJOG on my C90 once I’ve finished fixing it up. A couple of guys done it in under 24 hours before!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Le_Jog, a GS is a perfect first bike, not over powerful, easy to ride and it’ll be the bike you end up on so bypass the SV650/Bandit 600 phase and go straight to it.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Go for the smaller GS though… keep thinking they make more sense than the 1200.

I started on a TDM850 that lasted me 6 months… before I accidentally bought a 955i Spees Triple 😛

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Outer Hebrides motorcycle trip.’ is closed to new replies.