Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • OutdoorsGPS app for iPhone/iPod/iPad
  • PeterHerold
    Free Member

Hi a visitor showed me “Outdoors World Topo Maps GPS for Hiking and Biking”
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/outdoors-world-topo-maps-gps/id458066844?mt=8

This seems very good for 3 quid as a tool to get maps, in the UK you get OS maps (so the visitor told me) and you can upload GPX files, I put onto the public site http://www.outdoorsgps.com/route_dyn/routes/153253-SantaMariaFreeride for where we live in Sardinia

Does anyone have experience with this tool?
    cheers Peter

hammyuk
    Free Member

I use MotionX – free, tile downloads and full location, breadcrumb, etc

PeterHerold
    Free Member

Hi thanks, I bought MotionX €0,89 and am downloading a map for offline use.
    For outside the UK (in the UK outdoorsgps gives you OS maps) both of these Apps use the OpenStreetMaps which you can download for offline use. These are better maps that the official government maps for where we live! The differences between these two apps appear to be in the way you create GPX files and transfer them to the iPhone/iPod (I have a humble iPod 2G, so no GPS, I am more interested in the maps themselves and getting tracks onto the iPod/iPhone)
    outdoorsgps: you log onto web interface, upload GPX file while then is available as a route. You can also see routes other people have defined as “public” and in future this will have a map interface so you can see routes in your area
    MotionX: you email GPX file to gpsimport@motionx.com and open this email from iPhone’s mail

BOTH though lack good integration with a really good desktop track planning tool, so you have to use (say) Basecamp (poor for MAC BTW, I just watched someone struggling to use it on his flashy iMac) to create your route, I use openmtbmap as the map source (living in Sardinia), this is based on openstreetmap . It would be nice to have similar look and feel between smartphone app on smartphone and what you have on desktop to manage, create, edit tracks.

Thanks for the tip

cheers Peter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘OutdoorsGPS app for iPhone/iPod/iPad’ is closed to new replies.