Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Out of season clothing questions: tights and l/s jersey recommendations
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

A few road rides through winter with knee warmers has made me realise i’ll need some tights for this year but some of the recent weather has made me think they might not be a bad shout for sooner than then. What’s the consensus on pad/no pad? Had thought the craft tights with pad looked a good shout.

Also trying to find a 3/4 or full length zipped long sleeve jersey without much joy, recommendations welcomed. ta

crikey
    Free Member

There isn’t much point in buying a long sleeve version of your short sleeve jersey; just buy arm warmers and a gilet.

Buying a winter jacket; look for full windproof front and sleeves.

Tights; if you have a couple of pairs of shorts, just get tights without a pad, you’ll stay warmer and not have to wash them after every use.

mrmo
    Free Member

go no pad, bit more versatile, when it gets cold i wear 3/4’s under tights rather than shorts. I have a set of wind front tights (castelli) and while they do work they aren’t the warmest and the windproof material isn’t the most flexible, just something to consider if your knees are not in the “correct” position( i.e. femur is long or short for leg length)

Get a Jacket rather than a long sleeve jersey, i have a old Assos windbloc, wind front fleecy inside, nice and cosy and when it gets cold wear it over a merino base layer.

Might be worth keeping an eye on Ribble, Parker, etc to see if they are clearing out last seasons Assos/Castelli kit for more sensible money.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For a jersey go for the Endura FS260, it’s ace, windproof/shower proof on the front, fleacy or mesh elswhere. Perfect for those inbetween days, and great in the really cold days with abaselayer under and a gillet over it. Cycling Plus did a review of spring kit a few months ago and it came out top and I can see why (DHB had something similar but they didn’t like it, something about the positioning of the windproof bits)

MSP

I have an Endura Roubaix Jacket which is lovely (apart from being all black) its really a jersey and not a jacket. I have been unimpressed with jerseys with windproof elements, much prefer to just add a proper lightweight windproof gilet or jacket over a jersey.

Tights, next time I get some will be without pad, so I can wear my favourite shorts underneath.

crikey
    Free Member

As a kind of general recommendation, I’d not buy cheap stuff for winter. It’s bad enough working up the enthusiasm to go out in the cold and wet and wind, you want kit that you actually want to wear, that you can rely on totally in that situation.

You’ll get to the waterproof question soon, and that’s a whole new argument!

My top tips; a cheap waterproof with the sleeves cut off at elbow length to throw on when you are not out for long. The cut-off sleeves help to stop you boiling in the bag and avoid sweat running down your arms and soaking your gloves.

Decent overshoes.

A second pair of cheap or old road shoes to wear in the wet.

Cycling cap under the helmet.

Oakley Nanoclear for your specs.

Plastic bag to put your phone in.

fontmoss
    Free Member

ok no pad on the tights but what about bibs? might try get some in a summer sale. I might try some jerseys and jackets if can find any-i use arm warmers and gilet at the moment and ok but not ideal on proper cold days.

EDIT: crikey, got thin water resistant jacket – not that keen on waterproof, I just get too warm. Got overshoes, nanoclear equivalent, warm socks and phone cover just the tights and jersey I need to sort out really

crikey
    Free Member

Yes, of course bibs.

Waist tights and shorts are the surest sign of an Eddy.

You need to be looking at £80 and upwards for a decent winter jacket. If you are in Greater Manchester, go to MK cycles in Bolton and talk to Ryan.

fontmoss
    Free Member

yeah not after a winter jacket (got a jacket i can i use but tbh it would have to be freezing and i’d prob just use the turbo) just a long sleeve jersey I want.

And just double checking on the bibs- never used 2 sets of bibs at the same time!

fontmoss
    Free Member

Found some gore power thermo unpadded bibs for £43 and castelli fondo for £55, hmmmm

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Out of season clothing questions: tights and l/s jersey recommendations’ is closed to new replies.