Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Out of date lager – to drink, or not to drink…
  • ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

18 cans of Carlsberg, found in garage fridge, best before March 09.
    Been refrigerated since purchase – probably for a BBQ last summer.

Is it worth risking?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Definitely, get them necked.

geoffj

If it tastes OK it will be. If it doesn't it wont – only 1 way to find out!

wombat

They'll be fine.

Probably.

steviegil
    Free Member

100% yes 😆

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Whats the worst that could happen!
    You either drink 18 cans, beer is off you get sick and throw up!
    OR
    You drink 18 cans, beer is not off you get drunk and throw up!

TimP
    Free Member

Try them. When they are bad you can tell. But some in the pack may have turned, others may not. Kinda like Russian Roulette. I have to do it every time I go home to my parent's house as they dont drink any lager. They only buy it for "the kids" but then they open expensive wine when we come home, so it stay undrunk for ages!

Keva
    Free Member

it tastes crap anyway so you won't even notice if it's gone off.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Carslberg tastes rank no matter what you do to it.

ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

Laughing at Nobtwidler! 😆

I can practically see tomorrow morning's first post: Recommend me a cure for the sh!ts…

foxyrider
    Free Member

I dont drink Carlesburg but if I did I wouldn't have an issue with drinking yours 🙂

organic355
    Free Member

if its best before, then you are fine. if its "USE BY" then I wouldnt touch it.

grumm
    Free Member

What do you think is going to be wrong with it exactly?

aracer
    Free Member

What difference does it make whether or not it's out of date? No point in drinking it either way!

sofatester
    Free Member

Witherspoons sell it all the time, you dont see any sick people in here do you?*

*actually, don't answer that!

Olly
    Free Member

thats only 5 months.

MTFU!

if it hasnt changed colour, or gon furry, its still fine to consume

rule number 1 of student living

ski
    Free Member

Keva – Member

it tastes crap anyway so you won't even notice if it's gone off.

LOL

I was thinking it might actually taste better out of date 😉

ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

Just checked, it's definitely a 'best before'. Is it too early to crack one open and test it?

Knowing my luck, it'll probably give me the best diarrhoea in the world…

ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

Please don't mock my choice in lager, if it had been Stella, do you think it would have got forgotten???

enfht
    Free Member

Feed 'em to your mates at your next BBQ when they're drunk

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

probably for a BBQ last summer.

You didn't open the fridge door for over a year ……. what's the inside of the fridge like ?

thejesmonddingo

Drink it jey-boy.
    Ian

ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

You didn't open the fridge door for over a year ……. what's the inside of the fridge like ?

Sort of white, a bit chilly… Oh, and a light came on. All that was in it was cans and bottles.

What are you up to tonight Ernest? Fancy popping round for a beer?

glenh
    Free Member

What? Canned beer doesn't go off!
    Just mtfu and drink it.

ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

What? Canned beer doesn't go off!
    Just mtfu and drink it.

The fact that I don't know this, doesn't point to a lack of manliness Glen. Just checking it wasn't one of those absolute no-no's, like eating week old boiled rice from a Chinese takeaway.

glenh
    Free Member

It's the fact that you have not immediately consumed the beer upon finding it that points to your lack of manliness 😛

ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

oh come on, it's a good 16 minutes til beer o'clock!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Thanks Forked Souls, but I rarely drink 8)

I'm surprised the inside of your fridge wasn't covered in mould/mildew btw. 5 degrees C only slows down the growth, and I would have thought that over a year in a confined space, would have been more than enough for the stuff to establish.

ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

Thanks Forked Souls, but I rarely drink

You should try it. It has the potential to make people far more likeable. 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You should try it.

Yeah I have. I found it to be a poor substitute for happiness.

Actually tbh, I had a glass of red wine on sunday. But only cause a drink came free with the pub lunch. Wish I'd never bothered ….. red wine on tap from an English pub – wtf was I thinking ffs 😯 No idea when my next drink will be, maybe next week, maybe christmas, maybe not ….

Coyote
    Free Member

Mass produced lager is sterilised prior to canning. It'll be good longer than you are.

JulianA
    Free Member

ENOUGH ALREADY!

I will save you from yourself if you bring it here NOW!

Thread closed, move away please, nothing to see here.

singletrackmind

OK , Let the professionals through.
    Sofatester . – Load of old shite. The rumour anout JDW buying short dated stock. Stop and think about it. Why make something with a years shelf life, pay for the ingrediants, package it, store it, wait 9 months then sell it cheap to JDW. Its a load of balls.
    Coyote.- Its pastuerised, not sterilised, so the bad boys are knocked for 6, to sterilise it in pack would be dificult if not impossible, as the cans would explode.

Now , will you die if you drink OOD lager.??????
    No, as beer cannot support pathogens due to the abv and ph level. As its been refrigerated for so long it might have produced a chill haze, so will appear slightly cloudy. If it pours smoothly, and smells OK it should be OK. If its turbid, fobby or smells of vinegar / acetic acid then no, it wont.
    It still might make you have to pay a few more visits tomorrow, than normal, but it wont be stronger than the day it was canned.

IdleJon

singletrackmind – I was given a can of OOD lager at a party years ago. The only notable thing was a very metallic taste (imagine the flavour leaching out of the aluminium if that were possible). Would that be normal?

meikle_partans
    Free Member

1992! beat that. i didnt have the courage to drink it in the end

tthew

What? Didn't even try it? I would have. Did you win the cash?

taka
    Free Member

wouldnt it ferment in the can? i bought a bottle of tizer from local grocers last week the use by date was may 2003 told him when i went back in the other day he said he should have charged me more for vintage drink 😉

antigee

slack work
    so if you do end up a bit runny its only deserved and obviously won't affect your very poor performance to date

the date on the receipt is the bbf date

brakes
    Free Member

I had some bottles of carlsberg knocking round the fridge for about 18 months – I kept buying stuff that tasted nice instead – when I did drink one it was a bit tangy, it kind of fizzed on your tongue a bit more than normal – it was about a year out of date
    is it different rules for bottles?

singletrackmind

IdleJohn . Yep spot on. Metallic taste leaching from teh can over time

Taka , No it will not ferment in the can , 2 reasons . Firstly its filtered so all the yeast will be removed , probably by a centrifuge, followed by a sheet or candle filter. Second reason ,its pastuerised. The PU's cans are given is enough kill any yeast cells that might have somehow escaped the centrifuge, by swimming really fast.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Out of date lager – to drink, or not to drink…’ is closed to new replies.