Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Out in the wilds – What Clothing?
  • butcher

As it is, I normally ride with a light jacket, t-shirt, gloves and shorts. Or maybe even just a pair of jeans if I’m knocking about the doors.

Even though I ride most days, this setup usually does me well, but I keep thinking one of these days I’m going to get caught out on one of my longer rides. It got me thinking even more so the other day when I headed out in a blizzard for for a quick lap of my usual after work ride. Gloves were soaked through by the time I got back. Jacket wasn’t far behind. My Lidl waterproof trousers did better than expected mind – I don’t sweat much anyways though, especially in sub-zero temps…

So….I’d like to gather some decent kit that I can feel…’prepared’ with, at the very least. Jacket, bottoms, gloves…

ton

endura stuff is pretty good mate, loads of naysayers on here, but it is cheapish and works.

butcher

Cheap is good.

mdavids
    Free Member

Endura gridlock jacket

Been out on the moors today and this kept me warm and dry. Its a little warm and bulky though so I only tend to wear it when I know I’m going to need it.

Sanny
    Free Member

I’ve tried lots of cycling specific gear over the years and have come to the conclusion that you just can’t beat a mountain jacket with a hood that goes over a helmet. I’m running a Rab Momentum – light, event fabric and slim cut. For trousers, I have a pair of Endura three quarter event numbers but the arse wore out of them in a matter of months where the seam rubs against the saddle. The cut of them is best described as fat golfer. A good idea that could be better executed. I’ve switched to a pair of Gore Active Shell trousers and they are a revelation. Finally, a Gore fabric that breathes like the adverts say, slim cut and light enough to pack away in my bag just in case.

Gloves are tricky. I’ve yet to find a pair that don’t leak when you squeeze the brakes on a rainy day. I have a pair of Endura’s which leak like a sieve so switched to Sealskinz. They are good but not great.

Sorry Ton but I guess I’m an Endura naysayer. The only piece of kit of theirs that I own that hasn’t leaked, fallen apart, been mislabelled for size us a pair of Singletrack shorts which were a remarkably close copy of an old pair of Sugoi’s I still have. I really like the look of their road racer soft shell but can’t bring myself to buy one as I’ll only end up being disappointed again based on past experience.

markwalker
    Free Member

i use endura it is good stuff but you will need to go one size up have fun 😆

butcher

Cheers Sanny. That looks a nice jacket. Hard to tell what it’s like from the pictures though.

I guess I ideally, I just want a shell. I’m generally warm in a t-shirt and whatever stops the wind coming through. But then I suppose you need it to keep any moisture off your skin too, so you will have some internal layers. Is the Rab quite thick, as in a perfect world, if I were to pay that much for a jacket I’d like it to do everything. And wouldn’t want to be melting in my own sweat every time I put it on.

I say everything….it just needs to keep me dry and comfortable really.

Gloves are an interesting one…I remember being out once years ago in te height of summer, in a serious rainstorm. In the middle of nowhere. People stopped and asked my muddy, wet self if I needed a lift, it was THAT bad. As it happened, I had prepared with a seriously big sweaty jacket, so that was kinda fine, considering the conditions…I was glad I chose that one. But my hands were freezing. Yet it seems many of the waterproof ones are designed for winter.

Again, some decent summer gloves that can withstand the worst of British weather would be awesome.

ton

Sanny, you use stuff out in the mountains mate, for it’s intended use.
    the rest of us mere mortals think being 5 miles from the trail center is being out in the wilderness……… 😉

iainc

loads of Endura kit here and none of it has fallen apart on me, even when riding with Sanny 😆

My singletrack shorts are around 4 yrs old and still ok for this year I reckon. Stealth Jacket has seen 3 winters and apart from a bit of loose taping after a fall is still fine. Have an old FS260 jacket that I use on the road bike and it’s seen over 3 yrs service.

All that said, if I could replace all the Endura kit with Gore I would…..and I gradually am – it does feel better quality and the fit is snug, however given the cost it should be top notch..

So based on my experiences I’d say Endura for comfort/design/value, Gore for top quality.

What about Altura ? I don’t have much apart from Attack 3/4’s and an Attack Shell, which both seem ok

Spin
    Free Member

I have a pair of Endura three quarter event numbers but the arse wore out of them in a matter of months

To be fair Sanny you’re always going to wear shorts out quickly. They’re not really designed for people with tails…

messiah
    Free Member

All the best kit in the world only increases your comfort by a little bit when the conditions your out in are horrendous. A good waterproof jacket can be important, and some of the cheaper ones will be fine. Make sure it packs reasonably small… I carry either a very light showerproof or a full on Gore-Phantom. Both of which I carry far more often than I actually wear… if you don’t actually need to be wearing it then it’s better in the backpack (or at home)… nothing worse than ripping a £200 jacket on a tree or rock when you bail!!!

If it’s truly minging out the best glove solution is two pairs. Wear the big clumping ski gloves for where you don’t really need the “feel”, and then bung on thinner gloves for in the tree’s and doonhall bits. Same with hats and buffs, once they are wet they do little for you and bunging on a few items of dry kit can make you feel so much better.

fasthaggis

For me…
    Some stuff works great some of the time.
    Some stuff is useless some of the time.
    Sometimes ( and only sometimes ) I get the whole layering ,magic combination just right.
    This is a rare and beautiful thing,but when it happens for longer than 20 minutes, I think I am in riding Nirvana.

🙂

messiah
    Free Member

This was one of those big mountain rides where it never stopped raining.

As you can see it didn’t ruin anybody’s day… and check out the differing kit levels worn by the riders from full waterproofs to a gillet (ffs).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Out in the wilds – What Clothing?’ is closed to new replies.