Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Our War
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Just watched the first of the new series.

Very, very moving stuff. Such brave blokes.

toppers3933
    Free Member

+10000000000

brilliant stuff.

rkk01
    Free Member

Just watched a programme we recorded months ago “the great game”-covered a lot of the geo- political background and the Soviet “invasion”. Quite an eye opener…

deluded
    Free Member

Powerful.

Almost beyond words to satisfactorily describe the courage involved.

A DFC well deserved by Jon Singh for his actions and his ‘blind flying’. I’m flabbergasted by the big set he displayed.

Always feel a little shell-shocked after watching these episodes. I hope there are adequate provisions in place to deal with the psychological fallout some of the soldiers must feel when they get back.

Andy

Mike Griffith’s sister is a close friend (and pretty good MTBer too). The familly are understandibly still devastated 2 years on by Andrew’s death. Hope this helps them move on 🙁

professor_fate
    Free Member

A DFC well deserved by Jon Singh for his actions and his ‘blind flying’. I’m flabbergasted by the big set he displayed.

+1. I was amazed that he was allowed to compromise a hugely valuable/important asset (the Cab) and the MERT team in such conditions – but the determination to get the job done overrode everything. The lads on the ground are my local Regiment and chuffed to bits that a regular Line Infantry unit is shown in action rather than the “sexier” Paras/Booties. Quietly proud of all portrayed.

noteeth
    Free Member

Excellent documentary. Hard-hitting and deeply moving.

(the Cab) and the MERT

The shot of that MERT flight nurse crossing her fingers… 😯

willard

Dammit! I had the TV box set to remind me but missed it anyway.

Ah well, off to check iPlayer

rkk01
    Free Member

iPlayer tonight, then…

… although I do worry about the implied “entertainment” / infotainment of these programmes. This sort of stuff should be in extended news broadcasts

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Exceptionally powerful television.

These threads are a lot more pleasant now that all of the underemployed lefty windbags have been banned!

yossarian
    Free Member

These threads are a lot more pleasant now that all of the underemployed lefty windbags have been banned!

Alanis morrisette might consider it ironic

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

yossarian – Member

Alanis morrisette might consider it ironic

Yeah well, she also considered ‘a black fly in your chardonnay’ to be ironic, which wasn’t ironic. Ironically.

Lifer
    Free Member

bravohotel8er – Member
    Exceptionally powerful television.

Yeah! How dare anyone voice an opinion different to your own!

seavers
    Free Member

Just watched it on iplayer…powerful stuff. Heart wrenching in parts. But one thing hit me. The program was constructed in such a way that they to keep the viewer guessing the fate of the injured soldiers, despite them being referred to in the past tense in interviews with family and colleagues. I found that distasteful.

Also I can’t help but think that programs like this serve as propaganda(in the guise of being informative). Which also, to me, is disrespectful of everything these brave, incredibly young people are doing in the name our country.

soobalias
    Free Member

reminded of just how lucky i am.

great program, glad the MoD decided to allow release of the footage. Everyone in this country needs a regular reminder of what it actually is they are asking the military to do.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Also I can’t help but think that programs like this serve as propaganda(in the guise of being informative). Which also, to me, is disrespectful of everything these brave, incredibly young people are doing in the name our country.

I cannot understand why people believe the propaganda that we are in Afghanistan for the safety of our country !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Our War’ is closed to new replies.