Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 319 total)
  • Our (level headed) MD saw a "ghost" last week!
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

I doubt it molgrips

That would be weird like having someone else in your head is it not?

I bow to your expertise on hearing voices in your head

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Chewkw, are you asking a serious question?

In a way yes but it is so complicated it does not make sense …

Junkyard – lazarus

I doubt it molgrips

That would be weird like having someone else in your head is it not?

I bow to your expertise on hearing voices in your head

Yes, I knew there would be someone attempting the answer of voices in head thing … 😆

Your bow is accepted but is it proper 90 degree bow or Bruce Lee’s bow?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

They still havent managed to prove god doesnt exist though 😉

They still haven’t managed to prove:

I’m not God.

I’m not really you and you don’t know it.

Elvis wasn’t a rhinoceros in disguise.

The Queen isn’t a shape shifting Lizard.

You’ve not quite grasped the concept on being unable to prove negatives, nor that of without a shred of proof there is absolutely no reason to think something might be true.

😉

Euro
    Free Member

Rhandi prize still available for anyone who can prove anything supernatural

But if you prove it, it’s no longer supernatural! Pretty spooky huh?

Ghosts and stuff? No idea. I’m inclined to think not, but i’m also inclinded to believe science doesn’t, and never will have all the answers.

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

If it exists in your mind then I think you’ll agree it exists.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjGRySVyTDk[/video]

allthepies
    Free Member

The weirdest thing I’ve seen which I can’t think of any explanation for was in Jerusalem back in 2000. I was having dinner on a restaurant roof terrace overlooking the Temple Mount and same what I can only describe as a black beam of light shining from the top of the golden dome straight up into the sky. Others with me saw the same thing. To this day I don’t know WTF it was.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Contrail shadow, ATP?

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I heard a dead cat once… yeah I know, an effing cat!. The sound came from the table where it died although its body was about 50m away, outside, on the opposite side of the house. My mate heard it too and jumped up saying “what was that”, never did tell him about the cat though, so how did we both hear the same thing? No drink or drugs involved, no sleep deprivation and so on… just a plain old table where a cat died half hour before my mate came round… Would love some one to explain it… preferebly not with some thing equally bizzare, like I was staring down a wormhole. 8)

user-removed
    Free Member

I’ve told my two tales here more than once, so suffice to say, the first involved some very messed up noises at my bedroom door one morning (like a dragon chewing a herd of pigs) and the second involved someone breathing hard in my ear, in a pitch black 16th century Tuscan villa (where I had previously felt completely comfortable).

No rational explanation for either has ever been suggested to me. No drink, drugs or mental instability…

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t have to be mental instability.. Our brains can do odd things, even healthy ones.

user-removed
    Free Member

I’m just gonna keep believing something else was going on. No reason my brain should suddenly spaz out and leave me with such a sense of utter dread. That said, I’ve an open mind for either case.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Plenty of reasons, 10 percent of us will suffer a seizure in our lifetimes. Could quite easily be abnormal electrical activity.

dandax1990
    Free Member

I see dead people.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

So me and my mate had a seizure at the same time?

Our brains can do odd things,

Such as?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

And boom! I have found evidence!

But according to recent work by neuroscientists, they can be induced by delivering mild electric current to specific spots in the brain. In one woman, for example, a zap to a brain region called the angular gyrus resulted in a sensation that she was hanging from the ceiling, looking down at her body. In another woman, electrical current delivered to the angular gyrus produced an uncanny feeling that someone was behind her, intent on interfering with her actions.

Now I just need to find the journal article

So me and my mate had a seizure at the same time?

Infrasound **** with your heads or a noise that sounded like a cat?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Awesome! What about magic shrooms? Do they work in a similar fashion?

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Infrasound or an actual noise that sounded like a cat?

Produced by?

Drac

Would love some one to explain it… preferebly not with some thing equally bizzare, like I was staring down a wormhole.

You heard a cat and remembered about your dead one.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

http://www.pnas.org/content/109/6/1820.full

some investigators have observed that LSD-like hallucinogens can enhance pyramidal neuron activity by activating 5-HT2A serotonin receptor signaling (7, 8) (Fig. 1). These findings that hallucinogens activate glutamatergic neurotransmission are consistent with many other studies demonstrating that 5-HT2A receptors were enriched on Layer V glutamatergic neurons (9) although we and others have noted that 5-HT2A receptors are also found on GABA-ergic interneurons (10–12).

In a way, it seems they up regulate neuronal channels that cause hallucinations. Probably not the same pathways as the one I just posted about previously.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Double post

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Yes, thats what I said. Heard a cat in a room with no cat. Maybe a cat outside? Three floors down, through double glazing? When my mates jumped up he started looking around and under this table, no where near a window it was on an inside wall. Naaah, sorry but it wasnt another cat… im open minded, but I dont think that was it.

Just googled infrasound. Interesting… example given was a fan emitting frequency of 18.98mhz, caused a peripheral hallucination and anxiety feeling… Its possible. Very coincidental that a low frequency created a sound in me and my mates heads the same as a cat just after a cat died on my table…

Im open minded tbh. Could be “ghosts”, could be parrallel worlds or time glitches…. maybe it was just a cat…

Or maybe

Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.
    Sir Arthur EddingtonEnglish astronomer (1882 – 1944)

Junkyard
    Free Member

perhaps the sound was real but it was not made by a dead or invisible cat…I know it sounds preposterous when written down!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Lots of people have heard sounds where others have heard them and thought it was something else though? It’s not uncommon, there have been a few occasions with me. Noises that sound like people are in the house, but it’s probably just the wind or whatever.

What kind of floor have you got? Is it stone? I’ve made noises that have made others think I’ve hurt the dog when I’ve dragged chairs across it.

Foxes shagging in the bushes?

Drac

Let’s see:

1) An actual cat
    2) A cat like noise
    3) A ghost cat.

And you’ve gone for ghost cat and added some dramatics to your story to justify it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And you’ve gone for ghost cat and added some dramatics to your story to justify it.

He’s bullshitting us?

user-removed
    Free Member

Christ almighty, the cynical scientist is strong in this thread. Claiming to be open minded whilst glibly dismissing the entire history of human folklore is pretty small minded in my view.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Human folklore has dragons in it (just like it has faeries and god in it), where are the skeletal remains? You’d have thought George would have kept a few of the bones as trophies.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As others have pointed out, he might appear level headed at work, but his wife certainly doesn’t appear to be level headed at home. In fact, your last OP paragraph just blows the whole post out of the water and makes you appear like a gullible idiot. Did you not think about it first?

For your sake I’ll just assume you’re posting for laughs.

user-removed
    Free Member

I’d honestly forgotten how unpleasant it could get on here. Thanks for the reminder.

Susie
    Free Member

I thought it was the Sales Engineer with the spiritualist wife, not the MD.

slackalice
    Free Member

One of the most intriguing first hand accounts I’ve heard was that of an ex GF’s father. Back in the mid 70’s, they relocated from Merseyside to Farnham in Surrey, moving into a house built in the early 20th C. In one of the two front rooms, he fitted shelves either side of the chimney breast for books.

Apparently, the morning after they had populated the shelves with books, they found a number of books on the floor on the opposite side of the room. Thinking it had been their 2 young daughter’s, they told the girls to put the books back if they took them off the shelves and replaced the books. This happened for the next few consecutive day’s, their admonishing the girls getting stronger with each day and the girls continuing to protest their innocence.

Both he and his wife were then woken one night to hear aloud banging/thumping noise coming from downstairs and thinking they may have an intruder, went down to this front room where the noise was coming from. He opened the door to see the books flying off the shelves, hitting the opposite wall and falling to the floor, apparently he was hit by one of the books.

Both her mum and dad claim that after removing the shelves the next day, they had no more incidents in the house.

Make of that what you will. He was a down to earth man, not one for frivolous tales and very matter of fact.

Poltergeist?

LHS
    Free Member

I used to be a ghost but had to retire after Edward Snowden outed me.

thepurist

What a shame he didn’t leave the shelves up and get someone in from surrey uni to examine what was going on and identify this amazing and potentially useful invisible, spontaneous force. All we need to do is harness that and we’d all have hover bikes.

nickc

My father has an excellent ghost story about his time in RAF. I’ll not bore you with it here, it’s not nearly scientific enough

Junkyard
    Free Member

the cynical scientist is strong in this thread.

I think you mean folk who require objective evidence and I am not sure why yo use this as an insult tbh

Claiming to be open minded whilst glibly dismissing the entire history of human folklore is pretty small minded in my view.

Are your really claiming that what less educated and more superstitious folk than us once thought should not be considered by more rigorous standards? Lunatics – the moon really does control moods? Astrology – that true as well then ? Do you worship the sun? the gods of Egypt? think the world is flat and you can sail off the edge? mental illness is possession by devils? Do you base chemistry on the four elements or medicine on the 4 humours?
    We dont dismiss it all only the bits that are wrong.

Calling folk you disagree with small minded is small minded as well FWIW as is not putting forward a cogent argument as to why “folk lore” is an accurate reflection of reality. In essence put forward some evidence to support “folk lore” as accurate not just some glib insults that dismiss others views

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve posted this on here before, (http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/spookystrange-encounters) but I’ve definitely experienced something that I just cant explain:

“I may have told this one before.

20 years ago. December, cold and dark outside. At mum and dads. Fell asleep in my old room in the attic, woke up about half 5 with my mum calling me down for dinner.

Went down the stairs, was about to turn left into the kitchen, glanced left, there’s my dad standing in the living room doorway,facing away from me, staring into the room. Something odd about the way he was standing made me pause for a minute and stare. Couldn’t place it somehow, like he was looking at something terrible on the TV.

Turned and went into the kitchen, there’s dad eating his dinner- turned around- no figure in the living room doorway any more.
    A little shocked, I mention it to mum and dad- dad looks surprised- mum doesn’t. Claims she’s been seeing a male figure around the house for years (not my dad).

18 months later and we’re waiting for the undertakers to set up my brother’s coffin in the living room after his death 2 days before in a motorbike accident. They leave, closing the living room door discreetly and leaving us to it.

We’re all in the kitchen, and dad takes the first step. He walks to the living room door, opens it, but stands there, unable to continue. I’m a few steps behind, and walk past him. As I do so, crapping my pants, I think- where and when did I seen him standing like that before?”

Make of it what you will!

nickc

I think you mean folk who require objective evidence and I am not sure why yo use this as an insult tbh

Because there’s more than an hint of dismissivness in your posts of the folk who don’t set themselves the same evidence levels that you do?

I’m guessing…

organic355
    Free Member

Stayed in this bothy once. It was supposed to be haunted by the ghost of some girl murdered there. It was a helluva creepy place in the pitch black. There was always this sense of “something” there that made your hairs stand up. I took the picture (attached) as we were leaving. The others didnt even want to look back at the place. I swear i could see something in the window. Even the picture creeps me out…

Junkyard
    Free Member

@ nick c I disagree so of course I am dismissive of the argument to some degree as I think it is incorrect. However that did not answer my question of why wanting objective and verifiable evidence is used an insult or why its wrong
    What are we meant to do just ask folk what they think and then we just assume its true ? is this really a better approach?
    You might want to read the history of psychology as to why this [introspection]is a bad idea and leads to inaccurate [self] reports – amusingly we can demonstrate this empirically 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m reading a book called The Believing Brain by Michael Shermer. It’s absolutely bloody amazing. There are strong links between brain chemistry and whether or not we believe in the paranormal or conspiracy theories.

I recommend anyone who joins in threads like these or the religion threads read it.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 319 total)

The topic ‘Our (level headed) MD saw a "ghost" last week!’ is closed to new replies.