Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ouch! Ouch! Running pain advice please
  • MoreCashThanDash

Beyond stopping, obviously.

And while I may well mention this to the GP when I see her next week, I thought I’d ask here for advice first.

Been using the Couch to 5K programme to try and protect my aging joints from my less than desirable non-runners physique. Built up nice and easily to week 7 when it has stepped up to 25 minute runs, and I’ve suddenly got problems with my left lower leg.

Started after the second of the 25 minute runs – fine while running, but next day the area between the back of my ankle and the base of my calf muscle (is that my Achilles?) was ridiculously tight and sore. Eased off with walking over a couple of days, could ride with no problems, went for a run again yesterday and it went the same way about half way into the run and got steadily worse when I stopped.

Been doing the 5 minute warm up and cool down walks, and stretching after each run as well. Decent running shoes from the local running shop who checked my waddle gait when I bought them. It’s only the left leg, right leg is fine.

Anyone had something similar – is there something I could/should be doing to help it heal and prevent a recurrence?

Actually enjoying running for once, so a bit annoyed I’m having to back off it again for this.

Cheers

thecaptain
    Free Member

Achilles. Do a lot of googling and reading, probably some heel drops would be useful, be careful as achilles problems can easily become recurrent/chronic.

Coyote
    Free Member

I’ve got exactly the same issue. The right shoe does make a massive difference. I also found that compression socks help. Other than that a trip to the docs is the only way to be sure. Just because the pain is manifesting there doesn’t mean that’s where it is.

Good luck.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Are you running the same route on a road or path that has a camber? If so this could be your problem putting stress on the leg that strikes the ground lower.

surfer
    Free Member

probably some heel drops would be useful,

Possibly a very bad thing to do. Search on here and there is a lot of information.

MoreCashThanDash

I vary my routes round the village to try and avoid the camber issue. I’ll mention it to the GP on Tuesday, though she’s a roadie, not a runner

phlemo

Sounds like the chronic issue I had last year with the Soleus muscle that sits below the calf and behind the Achilles. Difficult to stretch. Responds well to using a roller, before and after a run. You may want a physio to release the muscle before you train on it again though.

Worth stating I have no problems with it now and can do my half marathon distance pain free.

andyfla
    Free Member

heel raises and balancing to strengthen the calf.

On the the other hand – running ? you ? really ? 😯

MoreCashThanDash

😀

And how’s your PCL rehab getting on, andy-Hopalong-fla?

djglover
    Free Member

Depending on how bad it its, RICE it until its not as bad

Stretching off a wall with the leg bent should get the achillies and soleus , foam roller it too

Going forward, off road running hill reps will help build form and strength, lengthen the muscles as well as build fitness and is less impact than running flat tarmac.

MoreCashThanDash

There’s precious little flat tarmac to run on in our village!

andyfla
    Free Member

All good here, back on the bike staring at the garage wall for half an hour every day, so should be up for a ride in a couple of weeks providing you don’t cripple yourself with this running lark

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ouch! Ouch! Running pain advice please’ is closed to new replies.