Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ouch, just been made redundant…
  • imnotamused
    Free Member

After 5 months in a new job. Wish they’d have told me about their business structure audit and review at the interview as I left a good job and turned down 2 offers to join them. Oh well, time to have a good think about direction…

stumpyjon

Found myself in a similar situation six months ago, not sure they knew what they wanted, six months in and my services were no longer required. Worked out well though as I’ve moved onto a much better job on more money so it could be a good move in the long run, probably not a lot of comfort at the moment though.

bazwadah
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that, not good.. but not the end of the world either (speaking as someone who has gone through redundancy 3 times). look at the positives, if you have only been there 5 months then the ‘business review’ was probably on the horizon before you started, therefore you are not a cause of it. Could be worth contacting the other two places you had offers from in case they didn’t fill the posts?. Good luck!

footflaps

If you turned down two other offers for this role, it sounds like you won’t have much trouble finding another job. Good luck with the job hunt!

imnotamused
    Free Member

No thats a lot of comfort, i believe things always happen for a reason. Just glad i didnt lease a new car with the car allowance i received or go for the second child in the last few months.

dingabell
    Free Member

Really sorry to hear that. Maybe drop your CV back into the two jobs you turned down just to let them know the score. If they thought you were the right person for them then, you’d be saving them the hassle of looking around again should another position come up. If you got offered three jobs I don’t expect you’ll be unemployed for long. Think positive.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Cheers guys, good idea about the cv

dannyh
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your predicament.

Good ideas from others about letting the employers you turned down know your situation – it sounds like things could be worse if you are doing the selecting rather than employers.

It sounds like the place you were at have some management issues – perhaps the root cause of the problems they may be suffering if they are making redundancies. Maybe you can view this as a lucky escape in one way(?)

About ten years ago my employer at the time (a major retailer) went through a process of redundancies – all linked to cost-cutting rather than the aspirational crap they spouted at the time. I had been there less than a year. I was taken to one side by the boss and told that I was effectively easy meat as I would be cheap to get rid of. They kept on the ‘joke’ employee in my team who’d been there decades, but was pretty hopeless because they didn’t want to have to pay his redundancy. Anyhow, he was a nice bloke, so good luck to him. I was pretty pissed off at the time as our wedding was about 4 months away – but I ended up with a better job at a better place. I hope it works out similarly for you

Best of luck.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Thanks dannyh. They definitely have issues, having brought in kpmg to do an audit over a year ago. Some fairly major and brutal changes have since taken place however it just would have been nice to be informed at interview time. But there we go, this is business and it’s time to move on

imnotamused
    Free Member

On the plus point, my CV is up to date!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

In April I lost a job I hated. While chasing the dream to work with bikes.

I spent 4 very difficult months signing on, volunteering and getting ill.

Six weeks in to the dream job(s)now with a new, long, rewarding future ahead.

Believe in yourself and have faith in other people’s confidence in that ability.

Good luck.

porter_jamie

bad news, i hope you get something sorted out soon

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Iv bin made redundant a few times (building trade) i had my dream job at a company called connaught doing social housing upgrades, amazing wage on basic plus price, van cards, tools laptop and a 10 year contract, until one morning on the news i found out the company went into admin, gutted i floated from empty promise to dead end shithole, que rows and house moves etc but i got through it, yes im in a shit job now and my boss is unbareable, but i had an interview today for a new “dream job” went well and will expect a call tomorrow to see if i can start, that came from a random phonecall to the company after another shite day at work, it will and can happen, you never know whats around the corner, i believe everything happens for a reason : )

zanelowe
    Free Member

Good luck with the job search

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Was made redundant after 13 years at the same Job,Was a bit gutted at the time,Decided to try a change,Had been Engineering/welding Fabricating for 17 years,HAve now been working in a bike shop Since May.Now thinking my ex employer did me a favour, A lot happier,not as grumpy,better conditions,I ride more and everything seem good.Was a drop in money,but i am so much happier.
    I Finished on The friday,started at the shop on the Tuesday…

Good luck in finding a job,If you have skills/right attitude you will find a job.

samuri
    Free Member

Change brings opportunity. Each big move forwards in my career has been forced by change and it’s mostly been good. Good luck with yours.

Rockape63
    Free Member

yep…one door shuts another one opens!

Stay optimistic!

rudebwoy
    Free Member

or go for the second child in the last few months.

no harm in a few dummy runs 😉

trailmonkey

sorry to hear about the job.

i got laid off twice last year, the second time after just 3 months because the **** hadn’t done his business plan properly and I turned down other offers to join the company.

keep the faith, something will present itself.

shakers
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that mate. Most people are living with the possibility of this, I know I am but so far I’ve been lucky. You’ll be fine. I bet it will turn out to be a good thing in the end.

imnotamused
    Free Member

rudebwoy 😆

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Ouch, just been made redundant…’ is closed to new replies.