Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Ouch – degloved my knee
  • neninja
    Free Member

Had a pathetic tumble at Glentress yesterday. Annoyingly decided to leave the knee pads at home. Lost the front at low speed on a wet rock, totally innocuous fall. When I sat up I found I could see my patella and it’s workings. Not pleasant.

Thanks to the a&e physician from edinburgh who was riding the red and had some steristrips and a bandage. It meant I was able to walk off the trail to the ambulance.

Got well looked after by the ambulance crew and at Borders General who sewed me back together. Glentressers are regular customers there, I got a fair bit of jovial stick from the nurses.

By golly it hurts today. Will be off the bike for a few weeks I guess.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Ouch. Well done for MTFU’ing and walking out though. Another reason to carry even a basic first aid kit when riding. Or just a bandage and leccy tape. Heal soon!

cynic-al
    Free Member

WTF no pics?

yunki
    Free Member

I agree with Alan

slowrider
    Free Member

dis fred iz usluss wivowt pichers!

glupton1976
    Free Member

I’m sure if you’d properly degloved your knee you’d be walking nowhere and steristrips and a bandage wouldnt touch it.

Are you a bit of a drama queen?

How big was the flap and how many stitches?

➡ 😈 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

You noes it yunki, I am always right.

brakes
    Free Member

hang on, you forgot your knee pads, so you put gloves on your knees?

pebblebeach
    Free Member

An ambulance?

neninja
    Free Member

I didn’t get any pictures at the trailside unfortunately as it didn’t cross my mind at the time. My mate who was with me is a rugby physio and pulled the 2 flaps together (you could see my entire patella and patella tendons) and bound it with my buff and an inner tube.

A few minutes later an A&E physician passed on a ride and had a first aid kit – my mate put on a few steristrips and applied a compression pack and crepe bandage. We decided to walk back up the trail to a fire track – one of the ambulance techs arrived when we were halfway up to tell us that the 4×4 ambulance was stuck on a tree stump and the main one was at Buzzards Nest so I put my saddle down low and freewheeled to meet it.

This is a picture taken at Borders General when they removed the bandages etc that were put on by my mate. The steristrips had done a good job of stabilizing it – I’ll be getting some for my pack for the future.

My mate has some nice pictures of the stitches and when they were cleaning the wound before stitching. I’ll post them when he sends them.

It was 10 stitches in the end.

yunki
    Free Member

ouch

leffeboy

and bound it with my buff and an inner tube.

🙂 u is well ‘ard

zippykona

First heard of degloving in an article about Indian ladies long hair and motorbike rear wheels. Awful.

MarkN
    Free Member

Real bummer to have been caught out without the protection. That looks sore. The rocks doe a great job of opening up the flesh for sure. Mend quickly. Why has this not been asked yet, how is the bike?

neninja
    Free Member

The bike landed on me so provided a nice cushioned landing for it 😉

Too true about rocks – when we looked there was a really square edged rock that had cut my knee open and then the forward motion had pulled the 2 flaps apart and away from my patella.

Trimix
    Free Member

I now wear my knee pads for every ride, even local pootles round my flat soft woods.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Did the just stitch it all back together or did the have to do a wee bit of trimming first?

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Erm. Don’t do a search for degloving if you’re eating your lunch.

😳

jamj1974

Done exactly that myself – it was sore for a time… 17 years later and I can remember it very well!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any videos of it talking?

honeybadgerx

Fantastic opportunity to draw a face on it missed be the A&E staff.

althepal

I remember a few years ago came across a guy on Spooky Woods that had come up short and done something similar but to both knees- one was all the way open, and the other was similar to yours- ended up helping carry him down on a scoop after I’d cleaned him up a bit and dressed them both..
    It was the yellow fatty tissue that I’ve always remembered!

stanley

Why, oh why, oh why did I search for images of degloving?

Now scared to leave the house.

StirlingCrispin

That’s the advantage of trail centre riding.
    If you’d have done that out in the woods you’d have needed it scrubbed clean under general anaesthetic, as happened to me a couple of weeks back. Not the most enjoyable weekend of my life.
    Happy recovery!

irc

Ouch!! I feel your pain.

I suffered a similar knee injury in a non biking fall when I was about 14. Sore doesn’t cover it. How’s the feeling in the skin below the cut? I had numbness for about 4 or 5 inches below the cut.

Good news is nerves repaired themselves over a couple of years and a full recovery.

paul4stones

Whoever thought of wearing a glove on your knee?

langylad
    Free Member

Did something similar but not quite as gruesome at Whinlatter last week. Fell off, landed on head (as you do), sat there for a moment feeling dizzy. Looked down at my shin wondering what the white strip on it was. Took a second to realise it was my bone.
    My mate got some tissue, a toothpaste packet tyre ‘boot’ and some gaffer tape and i rode back to the van.
    That’s what you get for trying to keep up with 2 ex downhill racers and an ex GB track team member who now guides for a living.

neninja
    Free Member

StirlingCrispin – it did happen in the woods. They had do an x-ray to check they’d got all the foreign bodies out as it had pine needles and all sort in – they cleaned it out after more than 30ml of local anaetheitic injections all around it – Lidocaine or something like that.

I’m just hoping they got all of them.

stuarty
    Free Member

ERM its just[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_cUTmQykc[/video]

neninja
    Free Member

Here’s a couple more pics. Just after the steristrip removal before they started with local anaesthetic and the clean up. And the finished sewn up knee – it’s much more swollen today.

Jamie
    Free Member

yunki
    Free Member

me love coooookies… OMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Simon

Wow. I’m never riding without knee pads again. 😯

Ouch! You brave soldier….could be a while till your biking…

banks
    Free Member

Same injury at the start of summer for me, but only 4 stitches. Just what ever you do do not let anyone let re-open the wound looking for missing stitches/just a clean. Still struggling 3months later

My kneepads will never stay in the van…..even if its a pootlle

Jamie
    Free Member

My kneepads will never stay in the van…..even if its a pootlle

Best sell the bike and get a job in a bubble wrap factory….just to be sure 8)

M6TTF
    Free Member

Bloody hell that’s a proper job. Unlucky there Danny. I’ve never worm knee pads and fortunately never ripped my knees or elbows open

alpin
    Free Member

jamie FTW!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Ouch – degloved my knee’ is closed to new replies.