Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Ouch!!!!
  • Admiralable
    Free Member

After starting to do some excercise other than cycling (gentle running on a treadmill at gym among others) I’ve started getting pain in my ankles. It’s worse first thing in the morning but feels like they are going to explode. They are really tender during the day (sometimes a dull throbbing pain) when they’ve loosened up too and feel like there is a hard lump on them. It happens if I’ve not been to the gym as well. I’ve not been this weekend as it was getting worse and I don’t want the agravate it.

Not sure that its helping my old broken ankle either which still gives me gyp after 8 years 🙁

I’ve read that it could be Tendonitis but how do I treat it if it is? And what else could it be?

DaRC_L

How much stretching (particularly of the calf muscles) do you do?

nickc

And what else could it be?

I dunno, a sore ankle? Stop the extra exersize, go see a proper doctor

wwaswas

if it’#s brought on by starting to do an impact activity then I’d stop.

try a cross trainer – similar(ish) range of motion but non-impact – see what happens – if the pain doesan’t return then you know. Also, treadmills are pretty solid for running on – try grass or somethign at local park and see if that’s different.

but probably;

a) rest completely for a week or two
    b) go to a physio for a proper dioagnosis.

Admiralable
    Free Member

I do a fair bit. I go to the gym on lunch hour. So on the run up to my lunch break I stretch my legs under the desk and I’m always stretching my ankles though to try and stop it hurting quite so much.

First thing in the morning though it can be excruciating to walk 🙁

IanMunro
    Free Member

whereabout on the ankle?

Admiralable
    Free Member

The pain from broken ankle is the outside right on the ankle joint itself. The pain in the morning is the achilles tendon about an inch up from my heel. Just above where the heel of my trainers ends.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Having been to a doctor for this sort of thing, i can tell you they’ll almost certainly be useless unless you’ve actually broken both your ankles. As above, i’d suggest finding a good sports physio.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Daft as it sounds it could be cured just by getting some correctly fitting trainers ….

Happened to me a couple of years ago when i started gentle running in a mad bid to lose weight, really painfull sharp stabbing pains above the ankle…

Went to a proper sports shop with all the gear, had me on a treadmill and filmed how i ran, ran the film through a PC and they advised me which trainers would best suit me … worked a treat … now if only I could get motivated again and lose that weight….

Admiralable
    Free Member

The pain is worse on the left foot which is the ankle I didn’t break. Although I have had a nasty sprain on that one about 5 years ago. Last time it flared up wasn’t as bad as this and the doctor gave me diclofenac (sp) which didn’t agree with me 🙁

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Ouch!!!!’ is closed to new replies.