Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Ou et the Modern Art thread .. boohoo content
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

elfin imploded in a fit of pwnage and it got taken down. as i’m sure this will be real soon.

the concept of the tower hamlets defence has now been born though, so some good came out of it.

See, it was your (and others) arrogance and snobbishness which I challenged, and none of you actually made any good argument for your own views, other than to suggest anyone who does not in any way understand emin’s work is think or ignorant or uneducated. Trying to appear all lofty and superior, without any actual foundation for your sneering condescending attitudes.

As for ‘pwnage’; go back and read through the thread.

And tell me how many examples of Emin’s work were used to illustrate your arguments.

Oh, hang on, I don’t see any. All I saw was a load of elitist waffle about people just not ‘understanding’ Emin’s work. With the suggestion that those of you who do, are somehow superior to those who don’t.

And then, right, when some of youse knew you’d lost the argument, you resorted to picking up on certain personal aspects of my life, such as my background, where I live etc. Why is that relevant? Where did I refer to anyone else’s personal life?

DrJ I think it was referred to me as a ‘barrow boy’. Is your imagination so limited that you need to resort to using outdated cultural stereotypes to have a personal swipe at someone? Pretty pathetic; just shows you’ve got nowt intelligent left to say.

I have no problem arguing any topic with anyone; just leave out the personal stuff.

the chip he carries round on his shoulder

What chip’s that then? Care to explain?

Pathetic.

Love the way folk who’ve never met me make their minds up about me based on a load of nonsense on an internet forum. Shows just how ignorant and narrow-minded they are. Wallies.

And at the end of the day, you all know I’m right anyway. 😉

X

bullheart
    Free Member

Whats elfin like in “real life”?

Honestly? I can count the number of folk I genuinely trust to do the right thing on both hands. He, despite his argumentative nature, is amongst them. And that list includes my family and friends.

As much of a pain in the arse?

Yes.

Will he have a stand up argument based on his facts about who’s round it is, in the next pub?

No. He has little wealth, but would gladly give it to his mates.

He is a very, very good friend.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Has his hair grown a bit yet, Elfin that is??

C’mon Lad, don’t be shy, we know you are reading this thread, tell us how you’re doing.. and let us know if your hairs grown back yet..

And that Piccy of the Traffic Lights Tree is on the roundabout right?? Thought I recgonised it..

trailmonkey

It was about the rampant and increasingly compulsory nepotism in art

That’s an interesting point of the debate that i hadn’t picked up on, largely because I think that my whole point in the debate lay outside of the general polemic.

However, if we’re allowed to carry on the debate without anyone Tower Hamletting and getting the thread closed down, could I suggest that virtually the entire canon of art, certainly up to the modern era, has been shaped by nepotism. Very little survives other than cave paintings of works of art by those not favoured by court or religious patronage. In fact there’s probably an argument to suggest that art is less prone to nepotism now than it ever was. Any one can put any art in any media onto the internet now and enjoy an audience surely ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

And anyway enough bickering, back to art.

Where is this Barbara Hepworth sculpture? No cheating now, Google takes the fun out of it.

j_me
    Free Member

Love the way folk who’ve never met me make their minds up about me based on a load of nonsense on an internet forum

😆

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh, and for Trailmonkey:

In what London borough is this work, and what is the event it commemorates?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Elfin – I think you do need to review what said by most people – it was not really about ‘getting’ her work or not it was about accepting she is an artist or not. Agreed, I did accuse you of being stupid for not getting her but you know that was said with tongue in cheek.

And I have reviewed her work and fully believe that she has artistic talent (as does Hirst) but as always whether you like their work or not is down to personal opinion. I don’t particularly care for much of either of their work (as I said at the beginning of the last thread) but it doesn’t stop me from accepting they are artists.

That was always the point I was trying to make anyway.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Where’s your art, Elfin?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I don’t know. I thought I knew, but then discovered that it was in fact my elbow.

molgrips
    Free Member

Trying to appear all lofty and superior, without any actual foundation for your sneering condescending attitudes

I didn’t do this!

To be fair there were some folk on there that were trying to have a friendly reasonable chat about it – and some that were being nobs – on both sides.

All I want to know is why? Why everything? Why do you think it’s good or rubbish?

Not much why on that thread.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I don’t know. I thought I knew, but then discovered that it was in fact my elbow.

Oh how terribly witty and enigmatic of you! Come on, clever led, show and tell…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Sigh.

Oh ok then…

I give to you this Beautiful Thing™:

Enjoy with love.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

That’s all I needed to know; thank you.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

none of you actually made any good argument for your own views, other than to suggest anyone who does not in any way understand emin’s work is think or ignorant or uneducated. Trying to appear all lofty and superior, without any actual foundation for your sneering condescending attitudes.

Well, you know, apart from me…

molgrips
    Free Member

I would like to point out that neither you, Elf, or TJ provided a good argument as to why it WAS rubbish.. TJ maintained that it was not necessary which was a cop-out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nope Woppit – your argument was poor as well. Infact it was exactly as Elf describes

Molgrips – its for people claiming it has value as art to explain why. I did explain why not anyway – it arouses no emotion and asks no questions

MrWoppit
    Free Member

… It’s the Battle of Cable Street. Don’t know where it is, though.

Cable Street?

molgrips
    Free Member

I did explain why not anyway – it arouses no emotion

The bed aroused emotions in me.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Ou et the Modern Art thread .. boohoo content’ is closed to new replies.