• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by wl.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Otterbox 'Commuter' iphone 4S case any good?
  • wl
    Free Member

As title, really. Want something not too bulky but reasonably protective for everyday use and so I can sling my phone in my pack when I ride (in a plastic bag for rain). This one any good, or are the Defender or Reflex better? Or recommend me something different altogether. Cheap as pos though, please. Ta v much.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Defender is what i use for in pack strava etc and kids playing apps
    dropped from 6ft onto concrete no issues

wl
    Free Member

Cheers Frog – is the Defender quite bulky though, more bulky than a Commuter?

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Yes wl but I happily put mine on a slimline iphone5 safe in the knowledge that its protected, also had a big off recently and landed on my back full weight on the phone in the pack pocket again no damage

You get use to the bulk tbh and can always remove for non hazardous activities

brokensoul
    Free Member

I’ve had my HTC Desire in a Commuter for nearly 2 years. I’ve been happy with it.
    A lad at work’s got a Defender for his iPhone. It’s robust, but a bit on the portly side of chunky.

wl
    Free Member

Cheers for these. Any other comments or suggestions welcome.

Teapot
    Free Member

Got a commuter on my iPhone 5. It cracked at the bottom while taking it out of my pocket. The rubber cover for the port isn’t a great fit either.

However it has taken a few knocks and been dropped a few times.

I would say it’s a bit of a compromise. If you’re heavy handed then get a Defender,if not it might be OK for you.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’ve had a commuter on my 4s for just under 2 years and it’s been excellent! I’ve just upgraded to the 5 so my wife can have my 4S and I’ve got the iPhone 5 version of the commuter on my desk ready to go on if the 5 ever arrives!

jkomo

I used a defender for about 18mnths, dropped loads onto stone, no probs.
    It has a hard inner shell, covered in rubber outer. It got a bit worn so I just replaced with a commuter, rubber inner, hard shell, so it goes in the pocket easier, and is thinner.
    Also dropped, again fine, but I kind of miss the grippy outer of the defender.
    I still have the defender, minus the built in screen cover. Happy to send it to you for nowt.

craig1975
    Free Member

Ottorbox are very good for protecting your phone, but does turn it into a brick, very chunky

Wally

I use a defender too – No broken phone and plenty of drops.

wl
    Free Member

jkomo – thanks loads for that – great offer and I’ll email you to take you up on it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Otterbox 'Commuter' iphone 4S case any good?’ is closed to new replies.