Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 'Other' tubeless pumps/inflators?
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

There’s plenty written about the Bonty flash charger and the airshot, but seems the market is now full of tubeless pumps – specialized, giant, Topeak and also just found the Barbieri (which can be had for £60).
    Anybody used any of these newer ones?

Tracey

We have the Leyzene digital one which works well.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’ve got the Specialized one, the one that needs an external track pump. Its worked well enough on the few occasions I’ve used it.

legend
    Free Member

They all seem to work as well as each other. Choose if you want a pump one or not then go for price and colour

chestrockwell

I just got the Zefal one from Merlin and it’s great. Works first time, every time. Dead easy to operate by foot too which leaves your hands free.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Bought the specialized one last week and used it for the first time at the weekend. Worked like a charm and mounted both my friends tyres first time when his foot pump alone wouldn’t do the trick. Lot of people had said they’re all the same really so go for whichever colour/price/availability you like. Mine needs a foot pump but I have a joeblow recently fitted with a new smart head so I didn’t need an all in one.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Thanks all – sounds like it’s pretty difficult to go wrong then.
    cheers

madhouse

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – spend 10 minutes making a ghetto inflator and spend the £60 on some other bike stuff.

Link here

cloudnine
    Free Member

Airwave air blast is £59 at CRC.. Works well as an inflator, nicely built for the money. Doubles as a track pump too but Gauge may be a little vague for accurate psi measurements..

stevextc
    Free Member

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – spend 10 minutes making a ghetto inflator and spend the £60 on some other bike stuff.

I’d have said the same 2 weeks ago….In fact until last week never had a problem or actually needed the ghetto airshot… valve cores out and a cheap (£15) lowish volume track pump has always worked…

Had a weird OTB on Sunday and a stick and loads of soil and pine needles got forced between my rim and tyre bead … gave up on the trail and fitted a tube (thanks to a passing singletracker) then got back to the car cleaned out the crud and inflated with a track pump and valve core still in… no problem

Meanwhile …. I’d spent a week trying to seat some narrow (2.1) tyres on wider rims …. I’m just sticking my XC tyres back on my “XC wheels” which I’d “borrowed” … a whole week faffing and getting 90% … losing sealant etc.

The 1.5L morrisons lemonade bottle wasn’t quite doing it or more accurately the seals wouldn’t let me pressure it up….

Borrowed an airshot and up first time….

Having seen it was possible I then went overboard on bath sealant … both on the valves and on the screw thread of the bottle top and last night managed the other rim… but I gotta say the airshot did it much better 😀

Bottle is all taped up and zip ties on the tubes but it was still a scary thing getting 40 psi in the bottle and even then it was only just!

Pipe cost me a fiver (though it was enough to also be a bleed pipe so …) but to be honest if I could get the week of faff back I’d pay the £45 which seems to be lowest possible price for the airshot…

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Thanks stevextc – eliminating the faff and the fear of possible death are both high on the desired list!

Airwave air blast seems to get great reviews, hadn’t heard of it before.

Looks like i’ll be shopping this week then…

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Airwave air blast is £59 at CRC.. Works well as an inflator, nicely built for the money. Doubles as a track pump too but Gauge may be a little vague for accurate psi measurements

I’ve just bought one, had real doubts that it would work. Yet it does. It’s in the CRC clearance so bump the order up to £75 to get £10 off.

Keeping the receipt just in case it packs up to warranty it

stevextc
    Free Member

Thanks stevextc – eliminating the faff and the fear of possible death are both high on the desired list!

Airwave air blast seems to get great reviews, hadn’t heard of it before.

Looks like i’ll be shopping this week then…

Yep for me I’d have paid up had I known how much faff and scary moments in advance…

It was only because I’d already wasted so much time I persisted and with 20/20 hindsight I’d have bought an airshock or one of the combined pumps first off….I probably still should as I now have 1 tyre I can’t reseat without… the other tyre seats so well once it does seat I screwed the beading trying to get it off so the front is running a 2.4 racing ralph (which seats easily) and the rear a 2.1 racing ralph that is a nightmare…

Thing is it’s hard to know in advance… very rim/tyre specific in my experience but at the point you need it you really need it. I have some rim/tyre combo’s that are so easy I’d not even bother using the airshot if I had one (the kids 24 Crests and rocket rons I bet you could do with a handpump)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Track pump and soapy water. Job done(maybe with some swearing sometimes 😀 ).

TR tyres and rims help. Wider rims especially.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I’m a bit scared now

I’ve had over 80psi in my ghetto pop bottle inflator

TiRed

Very pleased with my Airshot. I’d rather like a neoprene sleeve that has a flap that can velcro onto my trackpump. A of course a more accurate gauge so I not to blow the pump! Still the new Renkompresser is rated to 220psi!

stevextc
    Free Member

I’m a bit scared now

I’ve had over 80psi in my ghetto pop bottle inflator

You can sort of test this by inflating with water inside… as it’s almost in compressible if it explodes it will just make a wet mess….

With air… if you’re lucky the lid will pop off and make a hole in the ceiling (if you’re indoors) but if the plastic fails you could end up with a lot of sharp bits flying about at high speed…its essentially a mini pipe-bomb made of plastic. Normal disclaimers… unlikely to kill you but a bit of sharp plastic in the eye would be nasty.

If you have kids (and/or you’re just like me) you can have a lot of fun with a section of water pipe and some projectiles that fit nicely inside the water pipe or attach a balloon and pop the balloon…

stevextc
    Free Member

Track pump and soapy water. Job done(maybe with some swearing sometimes ).

TR tyres and rims help. Wider rims especially.
    I never had to use any other method… until last week.
    The problem was with wider rims and a narrow and tight tyre….

It’s a bit like the people who say you NEVER need to use tyre levers….
    90% of the time it’s true … 5% it’s marginal but 5% of the tyre/rim combo’s you need reinforced ones…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘'Other' tubeless pumps/inflators?’ is closed to new replies.