Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)
  • Other retro tech, then……
  • mark90
    Free Member

Still have all three of these…

HP 620LX

HP iPAQ HX2490 (still in use as a sat nav running TomTom)

Sharp EL-9300

Casio fx-85n (over 20 years old and still in use)

CountZero

Someone on here actually has a Curta?
    (Sits in the corner, quietly sobbing)
    There was a little shop in Glastonbury, sold instruments like barometers, had a number of Curtas in the window.
    I winced at the price…
    I’ve got a portable Minidisc recorder upstairs somewhere, a neat little Panasonic one, and a really nice full-sized Sony Minidisc recorder that has Fade-in/out, PS/2 keyboard input for captioning, and other editing functions. Still works very nicely.

Stoner
    Free Member

SOMAFUNK! Panic!!!

After posting about my ICF SW100 I realised I hadnt used it for nearly 5 years…and then it dawned on me I had probably left some batteries in it! I dug it out and sure enough, exploded Duracell-goo in the battery bay 🙁

Ive just opened it up (at least you can) and given it a clean out. Fortunately all the goo is now crystallised and could be picked away with a tooth pick well enough. Put back together again and tested and it all works fine. So do check, and then remove the batteries again!

Stoner
    Free Member

I guessed it would be you or THM that still used those things, mefty! 😉

They’re an abomination of bad maths! And I say that as a Surveyor who still owns a set of Parry’s Tables!

aa
    Free Member

Somafunk, i had a wm-d6c too. Loved it. I used it to record my gigs and do illicit recordings of gigs. (found a live herbie Hancock gig recording the other day). Lent it to a friend who plugged an adaptor into it a melted the motor. Got me a new one on his home insurance. He later asked to borrow it again. I think, he cant be that stupid again can he? Yep, he did it again.

olly2097
    Free Member

1995 PlayStation scph 1002. Audiophiles dream. Cheap but the CD sound is supposed to rival high end players. Something to do with the DAC (digital to analog comvertor) present in these early models. Has to have all the ports on the back to qualify.

That controller with no sticks.
    That dinosaur.
    That manta ray.
    Using Biro’s insides to disc swap games.
    Awesome days.

Does it count? It is old now.

midlifecrashes

My ZX80 and 81 got nicked years ago in my student days, but I managed to keep hold of one of these, still works too, we fire it up now and again to amaze/appall the kids. Atari 400.

Now that’s all a bit modern. Can you imagine a device that turns your pocket watch into an alarm clock? Unbelievable 1820s tech. Pic lifted from a dealer, hope they don’t mind. A Gossage ‘Patent’ Alarum. My grandad was a watch and clock repairer and we still have a few bits and pieces, though I like his toolbox more than most of the clocks.

mefty
    Free Member

Bad maths, pah. Just different maths, once you got used to it, it was very efficient and there is nothing better for quick and dirty financial analysis. That calculator has found many a flaw in complex models, much to the chagrin of their authors.

PS: I actually have two of them.

Cougar

Sorry, the penny’s just dropped as to what RPN is. We used to call it “egdelp”…

Stoner
    Free Member

Its half past midnight, I have supplies of Rum and it’s getting geeky in here….

matthewjb
    Free Member

Before I had an iPod, I had a minidisc. Before that it was cassette. I had one of these:

It was a marvellously designed piece of kit. Barely any bigger than a cassette box. Metal case. Mine had a remote control and a graphic equaliser.

Northwind

Nobody’s made a 26 inch wheel joke?

Still got my minidisk player somewhere, brilliant… OK, i can fit a bazillion albums on my phone now but there’s nothing like the tactile feel of inserting a nice clonky bit of media, cd doesn’t do it either. Felt engineered.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I had a set of these, they could illuminate very little and you had to turn them off as often as possible to make it round a decent ride, the battery weighed a huge amount.

batfink
    Free Member

I was the king of cub-camp after getting one of these for a birthday present:

Despite taking 4 x c cells, it seemed to do 30 seconds at full power, followed by the rest of the weekend at about 1% output.

Wonderlights – the only Wonder about them, was wondering if they were actually going to turn on/the bracket would stay in place/you would actually be able to see anything with them. Truly awful, yet we all had them 😕

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Bought one of these when I was on holiday in Jersey back in the 80’s. Still got it with the original case and transformer, on battery lasted about ten minutes

lemonysam
    Free Member

Much newer than most on here but equally obsolete:

You couldn’t really walk with it without limping to make sure it didn’t skip, it was the size of a paving slab and the sound quality was pretty much awful but still.

I actually remember taking the mick out of the first kid to turn up to school with something called an “Eye Pod”…

cranberry
    Free Member

A JVC walkman – it was carved out of a block of pure awesome – it ran off a *single* rechargeable battery, had a radio and was outfitted with FULL LOGIC.

It was one of those devices that when it failed there was nothing else available that came even close to being as good.

Stoner
    Free Member

cock of the walk with one of these

[img]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01491/soda-stream_1491513i.jpg[/img]

IA

If that PS1 is allowed I’ll put this here too:

The best “Aliens” game ever on that.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I got one of these for xmas in 1984. It was ace. You could create voices using the ADSR function AND it was a calculator!

bencooper
    Free Member

We had those in school music class – learning to play ‘Karma Chameleon’ and writing BOOBIES on the same device 😀

batfink
    Free Member

cock of the walk with one of these

Haha! We had one of those….. remembering the sound it made when you pressed the button on the top is very evocative.

Also, “engaging” the bottle and pulling the lever did rather feel like loading a shell into a (albeit plasticy) howitzer!

derek_starship
    Free Member

My mate Bob had the smaller VL-10 but it was a bit too fiddly. I struggled to play Vienna on it!

Torminalis
    Free Member

All this stuff is old, not retro.

maccruiskeen

It was a marvellously designed piece of kit. Barely any bigger than a cassette box.

Was leafing through PDFs of radioshack catalogues trying to find a pic of my first personal stereo by Realistic. I’m pretty sure it was actuality a reboxed car stereo – same eject/play/fast forward mechanism as you had in a car – and took six HP2 batteries. Not exactly pocket sized, it came with a shoulder strap and you had to wear it like a handbag 🙂

Back in the mid 90s I used to buy up the old Sony pocket TVs cheap from the free-ads – as people realised there was limited entertainment to be had from watching fuzzy, feint, postage stamp sized tv, carefully open them and take the screen out, still attached the internals, and slot it into a 35mm slide projector – bosh – homemade video projector!

alaric

Someone on here actually has a Curta?

Actually two people on here have a Curta!

My late father had one, still in the case, which is mine now…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

olly2097, never knew that about the sound from a PS1. Have one in a box in the loft, as well as some old, spare speakers. Might have to give that a try!

divenwob
    Free Member

Still have a working VL-10 as above.

willard

Well, I’m glad it’s not just me that appreciated a minidisc player/recorder… I still have mine somewhere and it was the perfect beast to hook into a club mixer and record sets back when I was DJing.

Ah, now I’m getting all mistie-eyed about having to sell my turntables! Damn you all!!!

I still have a PS 1 though. With a load of games. And a Palm 3.

Stoner
    Free Member

Have one in a box in the loft, as well as some old, spare speakers. Might have to give that a try!

Flashy, later:

D0NK

molgrips – Member

I have a Palm Vx – anyone want it? also tempted 🙂 waaay back the two guys I worked with both had ipaqs, I had to make do with the Vx I got from cash converters. Theirs did alsorts of fancy stuff but the battery only lasted about 2 hours of actually doing stuff. Palm sometimes went a week between charges, think I’ve got a m500 in the drawer somewhere, only dumped it ~ 2 years ago. Great for keeping notes and books.

or, in the near future, IR!

quite possibly faster to manually type the 1s and 0s into the destination that waiting for IR.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I have a chipped PS1 in the loft and dozens of Russian pirate games.

Palm Pilot in a drawer somewhere, useless piece of junk.

Mini disc player that I never used, knocking around somewhere.

I still have a Psion 3a, great piece of kit, which I used a lot back in the day.

We got given those Hpaq things at work. Useless. The GPS chip was so slow it flattened the battery before it could get a fix from cold.

In 1995 I remember being very close to buying a 3DO console in HMV, then I actually played the very pretty looking Star Wars game that had interested me. It was crap! Luckily for me I walked away.

derek_starship
    Free Member

The music department at the college where I was studying electronics had one of these. I was so envious of the students who got to use it. I could only drool from a distance.

D0NK

Oh yeah dug the ps1 out the other week (slimline not the breezeblock one) for the eldest to play on (he’s 4) struggled a bit with the stuff we tried (I wasn’t going to fire up silent hill) he’s getting pretty good at sonic 1/2/3 on the megadrive tho.
    emulator not hardware, think my sister still has a working system.

kcal

oh blimey.
    I’ve only just binned my Sinclair RPN calculator – the little indy one in its own case. The batteries leaked 🙁 Folk used to borrow it at school / uni, then hand it back when they couldn’t get it to work!!

Sinclair QL. Check. Sony SW radio — it gave up the ghost, flogged it on eBay to a lad in Ukraine who fixed a few capacitors and sold it on..

Had a Newton, sold it a couple years ago. Sinclair micro TV (my dad’s from the 70s really). Sold that as well.

Still got my Technics linear LP player – clamps on the vinyl, so it can in theory stand on its side, usually its at a 30o angle for display..

Used to do some development for the 3DO. It lasted about a year didn’t it?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m serious about the Vx. It’s just in the way, and I dont’ want to bin it.

Start the bidding at £0+postage

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stoner, scarily accurate depiction! They’ve got my moves!

Rastapopolous
    Free Member

Nintendo Mario Bros game and watch bought for me by my folks in Andorra in 1983. The game was pretty addictive, the alarm woke you up in the morning and no one else seemed to have one. Still got all the packaging for it and it still works!

Cougar

The Game & Watch stuff is quite collectable these days I believe. Mate had Parachute, spent hours on it.

I had some sort of twin screen Defender-a-like LCD space game, came in a long thin case like a silver pencil case, which popped open into a Toblerone shape. Full of awesome when I was 14, damned if I can remember what it was called now.

That’s just reminded me, I’ve got one of these somewhere:

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘Other retro tech, then……’ is closed to new replies.