Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • OT: Would you be annoyed if a garage left air in your brake system?
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

They didn’t test the car. But as soon as I drove it home, I was on the phone to them and reassured it would rebalance itself.

Drove later in the afternoon and to stop the car I had to double pump the pedal to stop the car.

On the way back home I drove carefully, braked and the pedal hit the floor but managed to stop the car before I ploughed into a T junction and cars flying by.

Went back to the garage as the sales guy runs the service side, told me it was something new is wrong or needs another bleed as air might be still in, pop in next week and we’ll rebleed. Didn’t even want to talk to me and looked at me as if I caused them a problem.

Fair enough, no apology and more time wasted.

Can you lot tell me this is normal and then I won’t be annoyed and look forward next week when I can use my car again.

sssimon
    Free Member

I’d be more than annoyed, any brake work should leave the car 100%, anything else is dangerous.

khani
    Free Member

😯 NO! Take it back and shout louder!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Far from normal! ‘balance itself’ whats it got, ‘self bleeding brakes’?

Go back & TELL him to sort it NOW.

Name & shame?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Isn’t it highly illegal to let a car go out in an unroadworthy condition, if you’ve bin charged with fixing it? And woon’t it invalidate your insurance and that?

I’d be seeking legal advice on this one. Best to make as much fuss as possible; if the garage are this slack over a vital piece of safety equipment, who knows what other horrors may be possible?

aracer
    Free Member

I’d ask him if he’d like to sign the bit of paper accepting responsibility for any accidents caused by the brakes failing before you drive away if he didn’t want to fix it there and then.

Trading standards may well be interested by this one – possibly also DVLA and/or the police.

northshoreniall

Maybe get AA or RAC to assess then go in and talk loudly tomorrow in front of all the punters looking to buy new shiny car about the dangerous levels of service.

john_drummer
    Free Member

well it’s not going to get fixed on a Sunday so you should be demanding a courtesy car too, seeing as they left your car without any brakes after a routine service.

“rebalance itself” indeed.

retro83
    Free Member

Crooks. I’d be livid.

singletrackmind

Yes , I would be very annoyed as it is such a safety issue.
    It will not fix itself . I would not use the car again , as you know there is a problem with the braking system . Unfortunatly so does the t’interweb so you might leave yourself liable in the eyes of the law.
    Similar situation when QuickFit fitted non abs discs to my abs equipped Celica, and the pads fell out .[/b]

molgrips
    Free Member

+1 for the above. I’d have called my insurance company I think.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Annoyed doesn’t even get close………………….

Frankenstein
    Free Member

At the time the techy had gone home at 1300 and I picked the car up at 1400.

I went back at 1600 on the off chance and the guy behind the desk was still there as they have a few cars on sale.

He said to bring it back on Monday and I need to drive- I can borrow my Father’s car if he is not using it.

The problem with my car was the handbrake mech fitted on the caliper – faulty or sticky – you need new calipers.

I’m not touching my car till I can take it back – I live 5-10 minute drive but I will be going slow – not happy to drive it.

He said it could be air still in the brakes. He didn’t want to drive it either.

Thanks for your input guys, I’m not livid but I’m annoyed with them and will be consulting legal advice and give honest reviews.

Wish I’d never gone there, they were the same price as others but I thought local garage that sells top end cars.

Thanks again everyone!

TheFlyingOx

Would it be illegal to wander round the sales side mentioning to prospective customers that they let your car leave their garage with air in the brakes?

Northwind

TBH they should be collecting that from you, expecting a customer to drive it back with known brake issues is bang out of order IMO.

Cougar

TBH they should be collecting that from you, expecting a customer to drive it back with known brake issues is bang out of order IMO.

This.

john_drummer
    Free Member

+1

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I just hope they fix it.

Will never use them ever, probably write some honest reviews for others to read.

Don’t need compensation, just fix the car but it goes to show how people do business which is crazy.

Customer mis-service. Ok it could be an honest mistake but I hope heart surgeons don’t work in the same method.

Deep down I know they have done a shoddy job and hope they torqued up my calipers…

I will consult my RAC legal advice, just in case if I am liable for anything or could I go to another garage to have new fluid and bill this garage for screwing up.

Northwind

If you drive it knowing it’s unroadworthy and something bad happens, you will be liable- it doesn’t matter whose fault it is that it’s not working right.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Thats why I’m getting legal advice Sunday morning – I would take responsibility and would not want to be selfish and hurt others.

Hence I want to get my brakes bled by another garage and bill these guys but doubt they would pay up.

Learned the hard way I guess!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

They did rebleed it in the end and apologised.

Now my caliper is binding again…back to the garage of hell.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Is there not another garage you could use?

Ambrose

Will never use them ever,

I’m confused now.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I have to use them for warranty purposes as they supplied my calipers.

I’ve gone back to old garage who passed my MOT today. Miles away but much better service – told me to come back to them if caliper problem isn’t resolved.

Once you find a decent garage, stick with them.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘OT: Would you be annoyed if a garage left air in your brake system?’ is closed to new replies.