• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by IA.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • OT: Windows on a Mac
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

I am about to install windows on my current-ish iMac
    I will probably, but havent decided totally, run it via an emulator so I can flip back and forwards without having to reboot

The thing is I have been wondering about installing MW2 to play online with the lads (I dont have a console or PC) which would need a bootcamp install to run at a decent speed Im guessing

So if I install it using Fusion or Parallels can I install the same copy of Windows, which will be a single licence OEM probably, on Bootcamp as well just to run a few games?

Or is it one or the other?

Cheers

simon_g

Can install boot camp then boot it as a VM too (on vmware fusion at least). There's a setting you can use to stop Windows thinking it's different hardware and wanting to activate again. Only thing you can't do when it's booted as a VM is suspend it – have to shut it down properly each time.

OEM Windows isn't licenced for use on virtual machines by the way. Not to say it won't work, but you're breaching the EULA.

epicyclo

VirtualBox by SUN is free

allthegear
    Free Member

Got VirtualBox running right now with a VM of my work Vista build in it. Works like a charm and, to be honest, on my new shape MacBook Pro it is faster than the "real thing" at work!

I don't think you can use the same "image" as both a VM and a Boot Camp partition on VirtualBox, though.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

I once did this with an OEM Windows disc, then the plethora of anti piracy bumpf started presenting itself so I phoned the number to get a new activation code. Windows weren't having any of it.

The disc had originally come with an Acer laptop that had died a death, apparently that license of Windows died with it.

Just saying.

gonefishin
    Free Member

That's weird, I've got an OEM version of XP installed on my macbook as a virtual machine and never had any problems with it (actually I had it installed twice but that's just me being incompetent). It even did the SP3 upgrade no problem. I did buy and original copy though and there was no bootcamp version. Not sure if that makes any difference.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hmmmm possibly out of my depth here

Ive bought a 64 bit OEM copy of Windows 7
    I accept Apple arent supporting it yet however fixes are available online

Its new and never been installed

Will it be OK or should I send it back unopened for a refund?

Cheers

tomdebruin
    Free Member

I think my problem was that it came with a laptop. If you just buy an OEM disc everything should be fine.

simon_g

The Boot Camp 3.1 update fully supports Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit versions).

OEM versions of Windows are meant to be sold to system builders to bundle with a new machine (although some places will sell it separately). The licence is attached to the machine it was installed on and you're not allowed to transfer it on to another. Equally you're not allowed to use them on "virtual" hardware either. As I say, that's not to say it won't work, but that's how the software is licenced. If you want to transfer between machines and use on VMs, you should be buying a retail copy.

Separate issue is that the bigger manufacturers have their own versions of the Windows discs that will only install on their hardware.

IA

iamsporticus should be fine – unless you're installing on an older than late 08 mac, in which case you have bootloader issues and need to remake the install DVD (needed to for my early 07 MBP). I could give more details, but CBA if I don't need to!

Or some googling will sort you out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘OT: Windows on a Mac’ is closed to new replies.